MSG 1977

snapper

We have great boots/performances from the L.A. 77' shows, but what happened at NY/Madison Square Garden the week before?

I know Mike Millard wasn't there, but I would think something special would have come out of 6 nights at MSG ... no?

Am I missing something?

I have heard a soundboard fragment of No Quarter from one of the NY shows (the 11th?) and it was insaine! total off the wall version. I would like to get that whole show as I hear the audiance recording is really good.I do like the video from the last night. (great STH) about an hours worth.

I think that the NYC shows are right up there with the LA shows. (almost as good) only thing is the LA gigs have better recordings. and I have not been able to hear all the NYC shows. I sure would like to see some upgraded recordings from those six nights show up, so we can compare the two. that would be alot of fun :)

Edited by Fresh Garbage

I have heard a soundboard fragment of No Quarter from one of the NY shows (the 11th?) and it was insaine! total off the wall version. I would like to get that whole show as I hear the audiance recording is really good.I do like the video from the last night. (great STH) about an hours worth.

I think that the NYC shows are right up there with the LA shows. (almost as good) only thing is the LA gigs have better recordings. and I have not been able to hear all the NYC shows. I sure would like to see some upgraded recordings from those six nights show up, so we can compare the two. that would be alot of fun :)

I have an audience recording of the 11th, it's a great show!

Yeah, I just got 6/11 also, but you're right, you'd think there would have been more solid boots to come out of the NY shows. I guess it comes down to Mike Millard. He's the reason there are such specatular boots from the CA shows, and there just wasn't another person doing boots of that quality anywhere else.

Yeah, I just got 6/11 also, but you're right, you'd think there would have been more solid boots to come out of the NY shows. I guess it comes down to Mike Millard. He's the reason there are such specatular boots from the CA shows, and there just wasn't another person doing boots of that quality anywhere else.

True, but we have Flying Circus from MSG 75', a mix of soundboard and audience recording and it sounds fucking great! Flying Circus is not there best performance either, but I would think something of that calibur could be culled from one of those 77' MSG shows.

I have an hour long video of one of the shows from the MSG week long run from '77. It was shot from many different positions at MSG and is spliced together pretty badly. It does show them playing Battle of Evermore (even though it is extremely dark) and parts of about 7 other songs (I haven't watched it in quite awhile). One thing about it I do remember is Page butchering Achillies... It looks like he broke a string and switched from his classic Sunburst Les Paul to the red Les Paul, which was out of tune. The song is not their best version, to say the least. But the energy of the show is awesome. You can hear the firecrackers going off and everything. I have heard good things about the No Quarter soundboard version that was spoken about earlier, but I don't have it so I cannot personally comment. Peace.

"Art changes people, people change the world." - John Butler

• 7 months later...
The show played at 6/11/1977 had one of the best No Quarter's from the 1977. It is available in both Audience and Soundboard versions. That show, for me, is the best from the MSG 1977 days.

I love that show...my favourite from '77. Where th' hell's the rest of the bloody soundboard?!

With the exception of the June 8 show, the NY audience recordings aren't that bad...look at Chicago. Four nights and the only halfway decent sounding one is the show where Page OD'd or whatever the shit it was...

I have it off of a cd I got back in the early 90's. It was put out by Condor called "SIlver Coated Rails". The NYC part of this cd also contains "Battle of Evermore" and "Ten Years Gone". It's great sound, but slightly stale. The cd also contains soundboard material from Earls Court on 24 May 1975 and the final show in Berlin in 1980, the encores plus STH. The MSG 77 show sounds very promising. What I have is very good.