The general music thread

The Bomber

Just talk about any band,let yourself free,i'll start.,I like Pink Floyd,Thin Lizzy,Sabbath,Hendrix,The Who,Iron Maiden,Metallica,Deep Purple,Rory Gallagher,B.B. King,and many more,i am worried that today music is becoming more of a passtime than a way of life,indie bands are good,but they're not taking the music half as seriously as zep did,vinyl is all but extinct,cd is going to follow,i don't download because i miss vinyl and will miss the presence of a good ol' cd.

Jack Johnson recording an album on solar power is stupid,was it downloaded on solar power?Was his guitar made with solar power,or did he cut down a tree?Was the cd made with solar power?Will his future tours be run on solar power?It cancels itself out.

Led Zep are the best ever IMHO,hope they tour,but don't believe they will,if they do they will relieve my fear of indie music turning music in general into a commodity (No offense to the music,but it seems to take 2nd place to the fashion)

Best Guitar in the world=Gibson '58-'59 Les Paul,either year,classic guitar.

I play guitar.

For a tour,i would go in through Robert's put door!I'd even be his "backdoor man",i still doubt they will though they will.

No offense intended but this particular forum (Other Bands / Music) is pretty much already set up to talk about all the things you mentioned in your post. And no, this isn't me telling people what and how to post, I'm merely pointing out the obvious.

Get over it. I almost said the same thing.

Get over what? At least I didn't predict there would be no interest in this thread or say people shouldn't post here. It just struck me that this is what this entire forum is about. If folks want to post in this thread they should. I was just offering up my three pesos.

If I understand The Bomber's intent, this is a individual topic within the Other Bands/Music section, dedicated to free form music related thoughts. Here goes. I've seen live acts as diverse as Celine Dion and Nine Inch Nails. During a cross country trip in 1976(starting in New Jersey) me and a buddy happened to be in Portland, Oregon during a Tull show. Guess what we did? Did you know I own loads and loads of free CD compilations? I acquired a lot of them from Tower. I used to scope out the checkout counter to see if any existed. One evening during my youth, I told my neighborhood friends I would rather stay home and watch a Jackson 5 special than come outside and play baseball.

If I understand The Bomber's intent, this is a individual topic within the Other Bands/Music section, dedicated to free form music related thoughts. Here goes. I've seen live acts as diverse as Celine Dion and Nine Inch Nails. During a cross country trip in 1976(starting in New Jersey) me and a buddy happened to be in Portland, Oregon during a Tull show. Guess what we did? Did you know I own loads and loads of free CD compilations? I acquired a lot of them from Tower. I used to scope out the checkout counter to see if any existed. One evening during my youth, I told my neighborhood friends I would rather stay home and watch a Jackson 5 special than come outside and play baseball.

Exactly,that's why i set the thread up,and Jethro Tull rock!

It took 3 posts before we had a fight. LOL.

Alright lets go. Best Mainstream band to gain popularity since 2000.

I really like Breaking Benjamin, They sound like a more comercialized A Perfect Circle,(which i love more) but not to pop like Fall Out Boy. ( which i don't like at all). Chevelle is another band i should like but they have alot more songs i don't like then ones i do. Whats yours.

Jack Johnson recording an album on solar power is stupid,was it downloaded on solar power?Was his guitar made with solar power,or did he cut down a tree?Was the cd made with solar power?Will his future tours be run on solar power?It cancels itself out.

I didn't know he'd done this.

I completely see your point, but what harm is he doing? I can't quite see why you seem to be so het up about the whole thing.

It's a nice concept. Sure, it will've been cancelled out...but he didn't hurt anyone doing it and I think It's a really nice idea. Fossil fuels are running out and we'll have to do something more about it sooner or later.

I don't really get the point in this thread either, but I would just like to add that Manic Street Preachers are getting NME's Godlike Genius award this week and it's awesome. :)

I didn't know he'd done this.

I completely see your point, but what harm is he doing? I can't quite see why you seem to be so het up about the whole thing.

It's a nice concept. Sure, it will've been cancelled out...but he didn't hurt anyone doing it and I think It's a really nice idea. Fossil fuels are running out and we'll have to do something more about it sooner or later.

I don't really get the point in this thread either, but I would just like to add that Manic Street Preachers are getting NME's Godlike Genius award this week and it's awesome. :)

I think the environment is an issue,but its just capitalizing off a dying planet.

MSP rock!An indie band that put music above all else,its tragic that rock n' roll is becoming a commodity :(

I think the environment is an issue,but its just capitalizing off a dying planet.

MSP rock!An indie band that put music above all else,its tragic that rock n' roll is becoming a commodity :(

Was he capitalising off it though?

I mean, I don't know anything about it...did he make a massive deal about the solar power thing?

And do you really think that the fact that it was recorded with solar power actually would have got him any more record sales?

MSP do indeed rock, but I don't think they're an exception for putting music above everything else. Great bands aren't few and far-between these days.

31VPWBVDXTL._AA160_.jpg

Back in the 90s there was a compilation album callled Alternative NRG: Greenpeace that included cuts by R.E.M., U2, Midnight Oil and others all recorded using a solar-powered mobile recording facility. Not a damn thing the matter with that as far as I'm concerned. At least they showed it could be done.

MSP do indeed rock, but I don't think they're an exception for putting music above everything else. Great bands aren't few and far-between these days.

exactly. There's a load of shit out there, but hasn't there always been? I don't see why people are so goddamn lazy that they won't dig to find bands they like that are making music NOW, touring NOW, releasing albums NOW. Classic rock is good and dandy, but where's the excitement for a show? A new album?

Two I would love to see again, third row for J. Geils Band at Convention Hall, Asbury Park, NJ in 1973, ELO at William Paterson College in 1974. ELO really shocked me. I was familiar with the Eldorado LP, but didn't expect the animated violinist and two cellist on stage. Excellent.

Let's see the summer of 73, Alice Cooper in June, two Tull shows in July, Zeppelin in July, J. Geils I think in August. I'm probably missing a couple.

Okay boys and girls, gather around my comfy leather chair whilst Uncle Jethro lights some cherry tobacco in his pipe and sips on some cognac and reminisces about his concert adventures. Let's see, George Harrison in 1974 with Bill Preston on keyboards, Garland Jeffreys in 1977, Horslips in 1977ish, The Stranglers in 1978 (thank you very much), ELP in 1974 with Stray Dog opening, Yusef Islam in 1972 at Philharmonic Hall in NYC, David Bowie in 1973ish at Madison Square Garden, Beach Boys in 1974 with the unknown The Eagles opening, The Eagles in 1976 with Seals and Crofts opening, The Dead Milkmen in 1986ish in a NYC bar about the size of your living room. Oh and let's not forget Bruce Springsteen in 1976. I went to this show a very cute Asian girl who happened to be a co-worker.

I'm beginning to think my days are numbered here. So before I am kicked off the site, here are some more highlights.

Elton John and Kiki Dee in 1974.

Ray Charles in 1982.

Marshall Tucker Band in 1980 at the Garden State Arts Center.

Dave Davies in 1997.

Del Lords in May 1986

McGuinn, Clark and Hillman, Feb, 1979 at The Bottom Line in NYC.

The Kinks, Dec of 1977.

Allman Brothers in I think 1974. Can't remember anything about this show or who I went with, but I have the ticket stub.

Billy Joel in May 1987.

David Crosby and Steven Stills in May 1976.

Ray Davies solo at The Westbeth Theater in the West Village, NYC around 1996.

exactly. There's a load of shit out there, but hasn't there always been? I don't see why people are so goddamn lazy that they won't dig to find bands they like that are making music NOW, touring NOW, releasing albums NOW. Classic rock is good and dandy, but where's the excitement for a show? A new album?

I feel that exact same way, even though my taste in music is rather broad and its a little easier, if you really look, you'll find current bands that are your taste.

And with the first post of this thread, I might have acquired the biggest vinyl collection for 3 years out of my buds but I know that recently its practically making a come back. I believe I see more vinyl than tapes, those annoying bastards. Also, I get what you mean about Indie, but its pretty alright..I think the scene kids and their grindcore is more a "fashion" genre.

Del Lords in May 1986

The guitarist for the Del-Lords, Eric "Roscoe" Ambel was also in Joan Jett's Blackhearts and went on to be the guitarist in Steve Earle's Dukes. These days he plays in his own band, aptly titled The Roscoe Trio and the all star bar band supergroup The Yayhoos that includes Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites) on lead vocals/guitar, bassist/vocalist Keith Christopher (Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Shaver, early version of the Georgia Satellites) and drummer/vocalist Terry Anderson (Fabulous Knobs, the Woods, Backsliders, Olympic Ass Kickin' Team).

Archived