fashion connesiours

andrew

K, so I have a question.

I need to attend an event where a semi-formal attire is necessary. Is the blazer, oxford, tie, khakis outfit obsolete? Last time I wore it, someone told me to go back to the 80s. Yeah, ok, I'm only 20 years old.

K, so I have a question.

I need to attend an event where a semi-formal attire is necessary. Is the blazer, oxford, tie, khakis outfit obsolete?

You're off to a semi-formal, not an over 60's English club cricket match...

Semi-formal means a relaxed suit look, for example a dark suit (it depends on if you can be trusted to wear a light-coloured suit), and when I say dark suit I mean a suit where the jacket and pants match, and a shirt, no tie.

You can go for something like this if you are fashion experienced:

Suit1_narrowweb__300x457,0.jpg

If not, stick with this:

kanye_crescent-entrance_apr.jpg

I never understood what the purpose of a neck tie is - it's a pain to knot just right, and tends to flop around or get in your soup. I do like western style rope ties, provided the slider part isn't ridiculous looking - are these still "in" at all? I have one with a small pewter steer skull inlaid with turqoise that is tempting to whip out one of these days...

K, so I have a question.

I need to attend an event where a semi-formal attire is necessary. Is the blazer, oxford, tie, khakis outfit obsolete? Last time I wore it, someone told me to go back to the 80s. Yeah, ok, I'm only 20 years old.

That look does sound very '80s preppy, you are young you can jazz it up a bit. The kanye suit is nice but a little matchy-matchy, I like the blazer/trousers separates look on guys, nice belt and shoes a must for semi-formal, tie optional. As for the shirt, that's where guys get to show off, an oxford is safe but dull, you're a zep-head, go for something wild, but no skulls. Have fun!

K, so I have a question.

I always liked the outfits that Plant and Page wore during the outdoor Knebworth photo sessions. To me that was the beginning of the eighties fashion where they ditched the bell bottoms in favor of preppier attire. Sounds like this is what you had going on. These days casual is more urban. sharper and edgier. Its the emo influence if you will. This translates into a trimmer darker more tailored look.

Try not to wear a business suit. That's just square. You're young, it's after five, and semi-formal which means you can get away with a lot. But it is evening, so Frank Sinatra's rule still generally applies. Never wear brown after five.

I never understood what the purpose of a neck tie is - it's a pain to knot just right, and tends to flop around or get in your soup. I do like western style rope ties, provided the slider part isn't ridiculous looking - are these still "in" at all? I have one with a small pewter steer skull inlaid with turqoise that is tempting to whip out one of these days...

You're talking about a bolo tie. They're hideous in my opinion.

I just stick with a necktie, and occasionally a bow tie if I want to mix it up.

I like the blazer/trousers separates look on guys, nice belt and shoes a must for semi-formal, tie optional. As for the shirt, that's where guys get to show off, an oxford is safe but dull, you're a zep-head, go for something wild, but no skulls. Have fun!

These days casual is more urban. sharper and edgier. Its the emo influence if you will. This translates into a trimmer darker more tailored look.

Try not to wear a business suit. That's just square. You're young, it's after five, and semi-formal which means you can get away with a lot. But it is evening, so Frank Sinatra's rule still generally applies. Never wear brown after five.

Both your ideas are fair enough, I mean you can incorporate anything into fashion HOWEVER you've got to have the style or the fashion skills to get away with it or make it work.

Like I said, if you're not fashion-experienced, play it by the book. Keep it simple, and effective. Dark suit that matches, good shirt. DO NOT wear cheap brown or black shoes. The first thing that'll ruin your outfit is cheap black shoes you bought at K Mart for $10

O.K., bolo ties are out. I kinda figured that, since I rarely see them around here. Yet I see "men" with necklesses, earrings, and other gross piercings?

Another popular thing is the gaudy necktie with cartoon characters, sports teams, smiley faces, etc... What is the sense dressing up, but then drawing all attention to one piece that is out of place and childish - and why no one ever says to take that silly thing off?

Why did you put "men" in quotation marks if they wear earrings or necklaces? My dad wears a crucifix around his neck, he has most of his adult life. Is he not a man or something?

Wearing a necklace or an earring or having a piercing doesn't indicate one's sexuality, in case you needed to be told that.

Why did you put "men" in quotation marks if they wear earrings or necklaces? My dad wears a crucifix around his neck, he has most of his adult life. Is he not a man or something?

Wearing a necklace or an earring or having a piercing doesn't indicate one's sexuality, in case you needed to be told that.

It's quite fascinating how gender is often confused with clothing and accessories. There is nothing whatsoever about stiletto shoes and handbags that specifically relate to the female biology. They just relate purely through association, because women chose to wear them. But because they play a role in the social gender construct, it is almost impossible for a man to wear stilettos without having it being related back to either his sexuality or gender position. Instead of stilettos being looked at as just a particular variety of shoe, they have become more than a shoe, and are actually viewed as a female gender identifier. So the stiletto or the handbag or the dress are actually feminine symbols (if you fancied an academic discussion on it).

Here's an interesting tidbit for you that relates:

The reason why gay people are sometimes called fags is because a fag is (as you probably already know) a coloquial term for a cigarette. Now in the 19th Century, in society, only Women smoked cigarettes, men didn't. They smoked pipes or cigars. So in those days, the cigarette was a feminine symbol, so of course the term fag was used to describe gay men.

Funny, though, how in the 20th Century, the popularity of cigarettes took off and they came to symbolise masculinity and or suaveness. Think of all those old Hollywood movie stars who always had cigarettes dangling out of their mouth like Humphrey Bogart and Clark Gable. In the space of 60 years the cigarette went from being something only for women to the something that the toughest guy needed to be seen with...

I have no idea what the appeal of cigarettes is all about - for men, women, or fags.

So why do I have to put up with snickering or be afraid to wear a bolo tie, yet be hushed if I jest at a "man" wearing women's (symbolic) accessories? Do I have to accept extreme oddity for the cause of being different, while I chose to stay within traditional expression?

I have no idea what the appeal of cigarettes is all about - for men, women, or fags.

So why do I have to put up with snickering or be afraid to wear a bolo tie, yet be hushed if I jest at a "man" wearing women's (symbolic) accessories? Do I have to accept extreme oddity for the cause of being different, while I chose to stay within traditional expression?

dear me...what to say to people like you...

Okay well it's obvious that to you a man has to be manly and only do men things, so you probably have a big list of things that a man can and cannot not do in case he gets considered too "girlie". Because as far as you're concerned a man who wears an earring is not really a man. Don't you think that's a little pathetic? People laugh at your bolo tie because its an awful piece of clothing. You're laughing at a man who wears an earring because "Only girls wear earrings..." Man, that's what 5 year olds say...

I think you should grow up a bit

Archived