The Irreplaceable Bonzo

MHD

I thought I would post this quote from Jason which appeared in an interview he did for Drummer Magazine just before the O2 gig. I found it rather touching, and a great testament to John Bonham - the husband and father.

" It's going to be an emotional night and it's going to be hard to fight that lump in the throat. My mum will be there, my dad's mum, my wife, my kids and her sister...there's going to be a whole section of Bonhams! It's going to be a particularly emotional night for mum because someone is going to be up there playing with her husband's band. Ok, it's her son, but still...she's very emotional about it all. Mum's never let go, and she is still a single woman from when dad died 27 years ago. She never met anyone else, but then he was a hard act to follow. He's still there as far as she's concerned and I've no idea what she will be going through on the night."

Drummer Magazine, December 2007. Interview by Owen Hopkin.

Yeah, it's telling that Pat has remained John's wife to this day. What a bond they made in that caravan when they were practically kids! It's really quite touching. "Goodnight my love" indeed!

Pints raised for the Bonhams!! :beer:

I thought I would post this quote from Jason which appeared in an interview he did for Drummer Magazine just before the O2 gig. I found it rather touching, and a great testament to John Bonham - the husband and father.

" It's going to be an emotional night and it's going to be hard to fight that lump in the throat. My mum will be there, my dad's mum, my wife, my kids and her sister...there's going to be a whole section of Bonhams! It's going to be a particularly emotional night for mum because someone is going to be up there playing with her husband's band. Ok, it's her son, but still...she's very emotional about it all. Mum's never let go, and she is still a single woman from when dad died 27 years ago. She never met anyone else, but then he was a hard act to follow. He's still there as far as she's concerned and I've no idea what she will be going through on the night."

Drummer Magazine, December 2007. Interview by Owen Hopkin.

Thank you for sharing that touching quote with us. I am in tears as I write - in part because of the sadness that I will always feel over the loss of Bonzo but also because of the idea that true love persists forever and transcends even death.

Beyond his talent, Jason sounds like a wonderful guy. I have often said that Pat must be an incredible woman to have survived the tragic death of Bonzo at such a young age and then to have raised her children alone. Bonzo was indeed a very special person and wherever he is, he must be so incredibly proud of his family.

Yes, beautifully put MSG. I have collected several interviews with Jason...magazines, dvds, etc and he always speaks so lovingly and sincerely about his dad and his upbringing. If you haven't seen it already, here is a short film of Jason talking about his childhood taken from the UFO dvd Showtime.

That's beautiful MSG...

Thanks for the music, John -

and Jason.

:'(

Thanks, SunChild. :blush:

Indeed, thanks for the music, John and Jason.

R.I.P., John. I miss you.

Yes, beautifully put MSG. I have collected several interviews with Jason...magazines, dvds, etc and he always speaks so lovingly and sincerely about his dad and his upbringing. If you haven't seen it already, here is a short film of Jason talking about his childhood taken from the UFO dvd Showtime.

Thank you, MissHoneyDripper. I love to hear Jason talk about his Dad. The Bonhams are an incredible and inspiring family. I have heard from several people that, when Zep were touring, John missed his family terribly. I never doubted that it was true! Aw, what a great person he was; I'm not surprised that Jason is the kind of man he is today - he's had two wonderful people for parents.

Thanks for the great vid! I have an MP3 file of an interview with Jason that was done a day or two after the O2 concert. If you haven't heard it and don't have it, I can email the file to you.

Thanks, SunChild. :blush:

Indeed, thanks for the music, John and Jason.

R.I.P., John. I miss you.

Thank you, MissHoneyDripper. I love to hear Jason talk about his Dad. The Bonhams are an incredible and inspiring family. I have heard from several people that, when Zep were touring, John missed his family terribly. I never doubted that it was true! Aw, what a great person he was; I'm not surprised that Jason is the kind of man he is today - he's had two wonderful people for parents.

Thanks for the great vid! I have an MP3 file of an interview with Jason that was done a day or two after the O2 concert. If you haven't heard it and don't have it, I can email the file to you.

Yes,remember how Bonzo was such a legendary drinker?Well,sad truth is,he got deprssed on tour at times and drank to forget his troubles,i like to think that he died dreaming about going back to his family.

I have a friend who used to play the drums with Fleetwood Mac, he jammed with John Bonham,once in the same room, then had a pint of beer with him afterwards, he said he

was such a joker, and so sincere.

Used to play the drums with Fleetwood Mac?

Sounds like Mick Fleetwood himself. ;)

Used to play the drums with Fleetwood Mac?

Sounds like Mick Fleetwood himself. ;)

No it is not him, he was a stand in drummer, and he is in his sixties now, and has just retired, to live in France, after a lifetime in music.

• 1 month later...

Archived