1/2 c unsalted butter

1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs

1 c semisweet chocolate chips

1 c butterscotch chips

1 c chopped walnuts

1 can (14oz) sweet cond milk

1 1/3 c shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350F. I use a 13x9 pan.

Melt butter in pan in oven; swirl butter to coat pan..bottom and sides.

Spread graham cracker crumbs evenly over bottom..I usually mix them with the butter first to make a crust, then pat down.

Layer choc chips, butterscotch chips and nuts over graham cracker crumbs. (1 layer of each)

Pour milk over nuts

Sprinkle coconut over milk

Bake x 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Let cool before cutting.

Yum!!! Thank you for sharing! :D

Here is a cracker for us fish heads who like a bit of spice with this versatile ocean prowler

Devilled Mackerel.

Serves 4 but I use the same amount of ingredients for 2

Serve with a Mint and Tomato Salad and some fried Potatoes ( Not Chips)

Mackerel weighing @ 12 Oz. Cleaned and trimmed

1 1/2 Oz Butter (unsalted)

1 tsp Caster Sugar

1 tsp English Mustard Powder

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp Ground Coriander

2 tbs Red Wine Vinegar

1tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper

2 tsp Salt

Mint and Tomato Salad

Small vine ripened toms, sliced

1 small red onion. Sliced very thinly

1 tsb chopped fresh mint

1 tsb lemon juice

Pre heat grill to high. Slash the skin on the fish at 1/2" intervals on both sides, from the head to the tail taking care not too cut into the flesh too deeply

Slowly melt the butter in a shallow roasting tin on the hob. Remove form the heat and stir in the sugar,mustard, spices, salt and pepper and vinegar. Add the mackerel to the butter and turn the over well to coat, spreading some into the cavity of the fish as well.

Transfer to a lightly oiled baking sheet or rack of the grill pan and grill for 4 mins on each side until cooked through.

Arrange the salad on a plate and place the fish alongside and add the fried potatoes to the plate or seperately if you wish.

The fish should melt off the bone and leave you with a cartoon skeleton fish on the plate.

I have tried it with Sea Bass but it didn't really work as this fish contains far too many small bones.

Sweet tomato sauce:

1 lg onion

8 fresh ripe tomatoes, (or canned plum tomatoes, drained)

1/4 c good quality olive oil (extra-virgin)

3 cloves garlic, minced

Chop onion in food processor until finely minced. Coarsely chop the tomatoes in food processor or blender.

Heat a medium skillet on medium heat. Add olive oil. When oil is hot, add onion and cook til tranlucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add the coarsely chopped tomatoes and reduce heat. Simmer 45 minutes until sauce thickens a little.

:)

Sweet tomato sauce:

1 lg onion

8 fresh ripe tomatoes, (or canned plum tomatoes, drained)

1/4 c good quality olive oil (extra-virgin)

3 cloves garlic, minced

Chop onion in food processor until finely minced. Coarsely chop the tomatoes in food processor or blender.

Heat a medium skillet on medium heat. Add olive oil. When oil is hot, add onion and cook til tranlucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add the coarsely chopped tomatoes and reduce heat. Simmer 45 minutes until sauce thickens a little.

:)

Hey Toots,if you simmer the sauce in a cast iron skillet for a few hours it will absorb more iron.Good to know for the grass-chewing crowd! :P

Salad Dressing- not for the weak or unadventurous

3 tbsp 1st press olive oil

3 tbsp red-wine vinegar

1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 tsp country Dijon mustard

1 tsp mustard powder

1 small garlic clove,minced

1 tsp key lemon juice

1 pad of country butter

1 tsp bacon crsipy bits

Coarse salt and ground pepper

Pinches cayenne pepper

on low heat, toast in a pan the garlic bits, butter, bacon bits while whisking the other ingredients together. Slow whisking works best adding one ingredient at a time. Add in the garlic etc and rewhisk. Salt/pepper to taste, cayenne to taste. Don't over toast the garlic, just get the edges crunchy.

5 minutes max and its amazing.

I want to learn the art of making good biscuits from scratch. Anyone have any good tips.

I made a batch from my cook book last night and while they were acceptable they could use improvement. I know you are not suppose to work the flour too much after you add the wet ingredients and that's probably what I need to work on. Will use my hands instead of utinsils next time. It may take a few attempts with tweaking to make some really good biscuits.

Also, make sure the butter is cold when you cut it into the flour mixture.

Actually, I read you can use very little, but they can never be soaked in water.

I always use a little oil after I am done cleaning them. Keeps them from drying out.

I inherited 2 cast iron skillets and I've been afraid to use them because I'm not quite sure how to clean them. So do you wipe them with a damp cloth and then season with a little oil?

I inherited 2 cast iron skillets and I've been afraid to use them because I'm not quite sure how to clean them. So do you wipe them with a damp cloth and then season with a little oil?

Everything you need to know, Virginia: http://www.realsimple.com/m/food-recipes/cooking-tips-techniques/preparation/cleaning-seasoning-cast-iron-skillet-10000001178519/index.html

I have my mom's cast iron skillet which I very rarely use cuz it's so big and heavy. After she cleaned it, she would heat it up on the stovetop and then wipe it down with an oiled paper towel. It's what I do now to keep it seasoned and from rusting.

Hmmm..... all this cast iron reading has me wanting to use it. I think I'll make my chicken fried steak tonight in it. I learned how to make a decent CFS from my step mom. She would pound the heck out of a round steak, but I cheat and used a store bought cubed steak. Soak it in some milk and coat generously in seasoned flour. Fry it in bacon grease until brown and crispy. Use any left over milk and flour to make country gravy in the pan drippings.

Very yummy.....don't make it too often as it's not a meal to watch your weight with, but it is some good comfort food on a cold night.

Sorry for the delay, I had to take my daughter out for some driving!

Yes, I always season my skillet. I also never let it air dry. Wipe and then season right away.

:-)

Salad Dressing- not for the weak or unadventurous

3 tbsp 1st press olive oil

3 tbsp red-wine vinegar

1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

1 tsp country Dijon mustard

1 tsp mustard powder

1 small garlic clove,minced

1 tsp key lemon juice

1 pad of country butter

1 tsp bacon crsipy bits

Coarse salt and ground pepper

Pinches cayenne pepper

on low heat, toast in a pan the garlic bits, butter, bacon bits while whisking the other ingredients together. Slow whisking works best adding one ingredient at a time. Add in the garlic etc and rewhisk. Salt/pepper to taste, cayenne to taste. Don't over toast the garlic, just get the edges crunchy.

5 minutes max and its amazing.

A warm vinaigrette!

Thanks!

I forgot to tell you that I have also baked cakes in cast iron. Just use canola oil in the pan, not olive!

I have a Dutch oven that I use once in awhile because its so damn heavy! But the stew cooks so evenly...

I forgot to tell you that I have also baked cakes in cast iron. Just use canola oil in the pan, not olive!

I have a Dutch oven that I use once in awhile because its so damn heavy! But the stew cooks so evenly...

Deep-dish pizza is also good cooked in cast iron skillets. So are biscuits and sticky pecan cinnamon rolls.