2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided

1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup water

2 eggs, lightly beaten

6 to 12 drops hot pepper sauce

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Cook the grits

Heat water and salt to boiling in 2-quart covered saucepan; slowly stir in grits.

Cover pan; reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Note: for creamier, thicker grits, cook longer.

For thinner grits, add more water.

Add the other ingredients

Add 1-1/2 cups cheese, butter, milk, and water to hot grits; mix until cheese and butter are melted. Add eggs, hot pepper sauce and pepper; mix well.

Pour into greased 12x8-inch (2-quart) baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake in preheated 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.

Edited by eternal light

Thanks for the recipe Nathan. Baked the Cool Cats Challah this morning and its fantastic.

Just a question: Once you take out the bread from the refrig, do you let it sit out til its room temperature? Just curious.

Do you mean the dough before you braid and cook it or the finished, cooked bread?

Edited by Nathan

You should be able to start braiding it right away, although you're welcome to let it sit and warm up a little if you want to or if you feel it would make it better.

Next time, I am going to let it sit for a while so it is easy to roll out before braiding the dough. All in all, it turned out great. Thanks again for the recipe Nathan.

• 3 months later...

Chocolate Guinness cupcakes (three of my favourite things together :D mmmmm...)

Makes 24 cupcakes

Cupcake ingredients

1 (12-ounce) bottle Guinness stout

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

3 large eggs

3/4 cup sour cream

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, plus more for garnish

2 cups sugar

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

Frosting ingredients

1 (8-ounce) pkg cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 lb confectioners’ sugar

Cocoa powder, for dusting

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the Guinness, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the sour cream.

3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour, and baking soda. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet Guinness mixture.

4. Butter 24 muffin tins and divide the batter among the muffin tins.

5. Bake 25 minutes, until risen and set in the middle but still soft and tender. Cool before turning out of the tins.

6. Beat the cream cheese in a bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the heavy cream. Slowly mix in the confectioners’ sugar. Top each cupcake with a heap of frosting and dust with cocoa.

Chocolate Guinness cupcakes (three of my favourite things together :D mmmmm...)

Makes 24 cupcakes

Cupcake ingredients

1 (12-ounce) bottle Guinness stout

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

3 large eggs

3/4 cup sour cream

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, plus more for garnish

2 cups sugar

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

Frosting ingredients

1 (8-ounce) pkg cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 lb confectioners’ sugar

Cocoa powder, for dusting

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the Guinness, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the sour cream.

3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugar, flour, and baking soda. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet Guinness mixture.

4. Butter 24 muffin tins and divide the batter among the muffin tins.

5. Bake 25 minutes, until risen and set in the middle but still soft and tender. Cool before turning out of the tins.

6. Beat the cream cheese in a bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the heavy cream. Slowly mix in the confectioners’ sugar. Top each cupcake with a heap of frosting and dust with cocoa.

Now I've really got the munchies... :lol: Sounds great Pat B)

The most dangerous cake recipe

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour

4 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa

1 egg

3 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons oil

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

a small splash of vanilla extract

1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well.. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.

Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high).

The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous)..

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?

Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

You are going to print this out straight away, aren't you

acake.jpg

acake2.jpg

acake3.jpg

acake4.jpg

...and no I am not evil :angel:

Tyler's Ultimate Chili

Ingredients

3 tablespoons olive oil

3 pounds beef shoulder, cut into large cubes

Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ancho chili powder

1 tablespoons ground coriander

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon sweet paprika

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 onions, diced

10 garlic cloves, halved

3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped

1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped

1 teaspoon sugar

2 tablespoons tomato paste

1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed by hand

1/2 cup masa harina

3 cups shredded white Cheddar, for garnish

2 bunches chopped chives, for garnish

1 1/2 cups sour cream, for garnish

Directions

In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil. Season the beef shoulder all over with salt and pepper, add it to the pot and brown it. As it's browning stir in the chili powder, coriander, cumin, paprika, oregano and cinnamon. Lower the temperature under the meat to "toast" the spices. In a food processor puree the onions, garlic, chipotle peppers, jalapeno, tomato paste and sugar and add it to the pot. Increase the heat to medium to steam vegetables a little and sweeten the peppers. Add enough water to cover by 1 inch, about 1 quart, and add tomatoes with their liquid. Bring to a boil and skim off any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat and simmer until the meat is fork-tender and comes apart with no resistance, about 2 hours. As it cooks down, add more water, if necessary. When done, stir in the masa harina. Take a potato masher and mash the chili so the meat comes apart in shreds. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish each serving with the shredded Cheddar, chives, and sour cream.

TU0406_Beef_Chili_lg.jpg

Edited by JimmyPageZoSo56

• 1 month later...

Tasty tasty adult slushy:

You will need:

-A blender

-Ice Cubes

-Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

-3 parts Sabra (most likely you'll only find Chocolate Orange... there is a mint chocolate flavor, but it's hard-as-hell to get, and if you are lucky enough to find it, it'll be expensive... and that's because only the Chocolate Orange flavor is made in the US. The other flavors are made in Israel. Therefore, the flavor we used was Chocolate Orange)

-2 parts Kahlua

-2 parts St. Brendan's(sp?) Irish Cream (not Bailey's because Brendan's is smoother)

-1 part Chocolate Vodka

-3 parts Fris Vodka

-3 Lindt Lindor Truffles (your choice... we used 2 white chocolate and 1 milk chocolate... only because that's all we had)

Blend all the ingredients in a blender with ice until smooth. Poor into individual cups and enjoy. Oh, and yes, you can put whipped cream on top. The beauty of this drink is that it's rather strong, but you don't get that sharp kick that comes with many alcoholic drinks... it's smooth enough to almost taste non-alcoholic, but yet is very alcoholic.

Edited by Nathan

I searched for a drink or beer thread. Cant fine one. I bought this drink book for my wife and its got lots of fancy good looking drinks, I see many call for Medori melon liquor. Has anyone ever tried this? I kind of hate to buy a whole bottle. Tried to find a sample/small bottle but cant.

Many years ago - it's really really really sweet. I don't care for it personally.

This is for real guy's and gal's!

Take two slices of soft oatmeal bread and spread on Nutella (Hazelnut, skim milk & Cocoa past).

Stick in a sliced (longways) banana.

Enjoy as a desert or snack!

Awa...Ua..huh

Elvis Presley

"Rhythm is something you either have or don't have, but when you have it you have it all over".

That chile looks like it would be good served on buns - like shredded pork? I've never tried any recipe other than the standard chopped beef / beans / onions...

It's really, really good. It's a Texas style chili. Tyler Florence said adding beans is a Cincinnati thing. :lol:

• 5 months later...

Found this thread in the back pages. Lot's of yummy sounding receipes here I just have to try. I like to cook and experiment. My hubby is my guinnie pig. Here's something thats quick and easy that he likes. I call it

"Mac and Cheeseburger"

1 Pkg Kratf Macaroni and Cheese, Prepared according to directions.

Brown 1/2 lb to 1 lb lean hamburger(depending on how meaty you may like this, I use 1/2 lb), with 1/2 cup chopped onion and 1/4 cup chopped red pepper.

Mix burger mixture with mac and cheese. Add 1/4 cup chopped dill pickle. Top with fresh chopped tomatoe and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.

Put in 350 oven just till cheese is melted.

• 6 months later...

Got the bar b que all cleaned up and the propane tank full for a grilled steak this weekend.

I decided to make a batch of....not sure what to call it...but I take 2 cans of chunk pineapple and soak it with 1 bag of cinnamon red hot candies for about 24 hours. The candy dissolves and flavors the pineapple . It seems an odd combination but everyone really likes it.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried a southern fried chicken recipe off Martha Stewart. You soak the chicken pieces, I used split breasts cut in half, in fat free buttermilk overnight. Then you coat it with flour real well that has salt and pepper in it and deep fry about 7-9 minutes on each side. Turned out great!!

Tried a southern fried chicken recipe off Martha Stewart. You soak the chicken pieces, I used split breasts cut in half, in fat free buttermilk overnight. Then you coat it with flour real well that has salt and pepper in it and deep fry about 7-9 minutes on each side. Turned out great!!

Fried chicken is my favorite food in the whole world!!! I may have to look this up...and ask my husband to fix it. It's nice not to be the cook in the household :D

Fried chicken is my favorite food in the whole world!!! I may have to look this up...and ask my husband to fix it. It's nice not to be the cook in the household biggrin.gif

I am the cook here. No need to look up. Wash the chicken and cover with fat free buttermilk. Overnight in frig. Then after addiing salt and pepper to flour, dredge (cover) the chicken well with the flour. The buttermilk will make it hold well. Then deep fry in either crisco or oil of choice at 350 minimum and make sure about 7-9 minutes on each side. Just keep your eye on it, will turn good and golden and will melt in your mouth.

Edited by silvermedalist

I am the cook here. No need to look up. Wash the chicken and cover with fat free buttermilk. Overnight in frig. Then after addiing salt and pepper to flour, dredge (cover) the chicken well with the flour. The buttermilk will make it hold well. Then deep fry in either crisco or oil of choice at 350 minimum and make sure about 7-9 minutes on each side. Just keep your eye on it, will turn good and golden and will melt in your mouth.

Too bad you're 13 hours away... :)

I'll give this to him. We'll see how it goes. Thanks!

Too bad you're 13 hours away... smile.gif

I'll give this to him. We'll see how it goes. Thanks!

And if you like it, Ill give you my beef stew recipe that I have been praised for. But its more of a winter dish. Coconut shrimp I have been making lately. Using unrefined virgin coconut oil. Expensive but good. Now that I think of it, some of my recipes are here, deep in the pages of this thread.

• 1 month later...

With my daughter living at home and being a vegetarian I am learning to incorporate different foods into the diet. I bought lentils the other day and do not have much experience with them. I did make a dish using them tonight that she liked, and even my hubby did too, but I am looking for more suggestions to use them. A one trick pony with lentils could get boring.

Tonights dish used fried gold youkons, onions and mushrooms. Added the cooked lentils last with curry powder, salt, pepper, dried cilantro and a bit of red pepper flakes.

Edited by ledzepfvr

With my daughter living at home and being a vegetarian I am learning to incorporate different foods into the diet. I bought lentils the other day and do not have much experience with them. I did make a dish using them tonight that she liked, and even my hubby did too, but I am looking for more suggestions to use them. A one trick pony with lentils could get boring.

Tonights dish used fried gold youkons, onions and mushrooms. Added the cooked lentils last with curry powder, salt, pepper, dried cilantro and a bit of red pepper flakes.

Lentils are known mainly as a soup dish. If you like stir frys they are a good choice for vegetarians. Put two two to three tablespoons olive or canola oil in either a wok or non stick pan, I use Cephelon. Cut your vegetables, I would use cooking onions, 3, baby carrots and split them length wise, celery, three stalks split down the middle and then cut into smaller pieces, mishrooms, pre sliced package, pea pods, peppers, a color variety is nice, green, yellow, orange, but green will do a I know the others are pricy, amd any others that you like. Sautee over medium high heat and toss frequenty once they get hot. Before cooking the vegetables, in a seperate covered pan boil two or three cups water and boil covered. willl not take long. once the wather comes to a boil remove from heat. Add equal amount off white rice, stir and cover and set aside to absorb the water. After sauteeing the vegetables until soft use a stir fry sauce of your choice. I prefer sun king packet. You make it ahead, 1/3 cup water, 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, perhaps a dash of fresh lemon juice, optional. Add three quarters of the sauce to stir fry once cooked and continue to toss on heat. It will thicken and then add rest of sauce. Serve on a plate over rice. If you want to make a real good one, ue shrimp. If you do this you will cook the shrimp in oil first before adding vegetables. Once the raw shrimp hit that hot oil they will turn from gray to pink instantly. Remember to buy raw shrimp. Thaw in cold water, devein. Asparagus goies well with shrimp and for those that like spicy like me, you can get szeshuan sauce, in packet. I prefer all packet mixes to pre made. Even turkey gravy. McCormicks is a very good brand. I do all the cooking in my house. I used to cool in restaurants. Italian,Jewish, and such places as Lums even if one can remember them. I ran breakfast and lunch all by myself. And had to do prep at the same time. Well, my famous beef stew recipe is here pages back. I highly recommend. I wil post my ribs and southern fried chicken later.

Whatever you do with your lentils, if you're a lentil newbie, be prepared for a shock!

The first time I made my now legendary lentil & bacon soup (which also features copious quantities of split yellow peas), I thought I was levitating four hours later. But I soon discovered that I was actually being propelled upwards by the highly pressurised vapour escaping from my back passage.

So enjoy, but 'proceed with caution'! And avoid naked flames!:D