The Recipe Thread

Nathan

My ex wife is Jewish so I know a bit about their food. I always thought Challah was like Easter bread. My favorite though are the potatoe pancakes. I like the Maneshewitz mix. With sour cream or apple sauce.

A little bit. To me Easter Bread is sweeter (my Mom's parents are Catholic... to the point where her dad is a Deacon... and my Dad is a Cantor [musical/spiritual clergy in the synagogue]... figure that one out... Mom, Aaron, and I are converts to Judaism).

I'm not the biggest fan of Latkes (potato pancakes), though I do like the ones made with Manischewitz myself (even though I find Manishewitz itself way too sweet, and if I have to drink wine, I'd rather a sweet wine over the usual wine)...

Challah also makes really good French toast :D

You aren't kidding. Best French Toast I ever had was made with this challah that was... oh my God... it was like God himself made it! The family made it for my Bar Mitzvah back when I was 13, but they wouldn't give us the recipe because it's a secret family recipe... but GOD do I want to have that challah again! It's been years...

A little bit. To me Easter Bread is sweeter (my Mom's parents are Catholic... to the point where her dad is a Deacon... and my Dad is a Cantor [musical/spiritual clergy in the synagogue]... figure that one out... Mom, Aaron, and I are converts to Judaism).

I'm not the biggest fan of Latkes (potato pancakes), though I do like the ones made with Manischewitz myself (even though I find Manishewitz itself way too sweet, and if I have to drink wine, I'd rather a sweet wine over the usual wine)...

You aren't kidding. Best French Toast I ever had was made with this challah that was... oh my God... it was like God himself made it! The family made it for my Bar Mitzvah back when I was 13, but they wouldn't give us the recipe because it's a secret family recipe... but GOD do I want to have that challah again! It's been years...

I like Latkes - my mom makes them sooooo good. She makes them from scratch :D

I've had 'em from scratch but never made by my mom. I should get her to try and make 'em this year.

*Random moment

BTW, and just putting this out there for no reason really, but my mom makes cheesecakes that put Cheesecake Factory to shame, and that is the opinion of not just me, but friends of mine, of the family, and even of complete strangers...

*Random moment over

I'm making potato pancakes this Sunday, here's a recipe of sorts:

Coarsely grate 12 potatoes and 5 onions, mix well in a large bowl with 1/2 cup flour, 2 beaten eggs, and salt and pepper. Use a large spoon to lay mounds of the mixture in a fry pan of melted butter or vegetable oil, flatten out the mounds into round, semi-thin pancakes, and cook until golden brown on both sides. Lay on paper towels to remove the greasiness, before serving.

It takes quite some time to get them crispy, so using large or multiple fry pans is somewhat critical. If you can't cook large batches at one time, the cooked ones can be kept warm in the oven while the next batch is being fried up.

This recipe makes about 2 dozen pancakes - but most people can eat at least 5 each, if it's the main coarse. I usually just fry up some good quality breakfast sausages, like Jones, to go with them. Have lots of applesauce ready!

I'm making potato pancakes this Sunday, here's a recipe of sorts:

Coarsely grate 12 potatoes and 5 onions, mix well in a large bowl with 1/2 cup flour, 2 beaten eggs, and salt and pepper. Use a large spoon to lay mounds of the mixture in a fry pan of melted butter or vegetable oil, flatten out the mounds into round, semi-thin pancakes, and cook until golden brown on both sides. Lay on paper towels to remove the greasiness, before serving.

It takes quite some time to get them crispy, so using large or multiple fry pans is somewhat critical. If you can't cook large batches at one time, the cooked ones can be kept warm in the oven while the next batch is being fried up.

This recipe makes about 2 dozen pancakes - but most people can eat at least 5 each, if it's the main coarse. I usually just fry up some good quality breakfast sausages, like Jones, to go with them. Have lots of applesauce ready!

Sounds similar to my mom's but she serves it with applesauce and sour cream, usually with some sort of meat like a roast.

Now that's making me hungry and I've already eaten...I used to go to a Jewish restaurant in Cleveland in the 70's where they made knishes.I haven't had one of those things since then but I remember how good they were! :drool:

Now that's making me hungry and I've already eaten...I used to go to a Jewish restaurant in Cleveland in the 70's where they made knishes.I haven't had one of those things since then but I remember how good they were! :drool:

My grandmother used to make knishes from scratch :D And I wonder why I've struggled with my weight :lol: :lol:

Cajun boudin sausage recipe . pronounced Boo-Dahn

Ingredients:

• 2 pounds pork meat, about 30% fat
  • 1 1/2 pounds pork liver
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 large onion cut up
  • 3 bunches green onions cut up, divided
  • 12 cups cooked rice
  • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, divided
  • 1 lot sausage casing

Preparation:

Cook meat, liver, salt, and pepper in water to cover until meat falls apart. Remove meat and reserve some of broth. While still warm, grind meat, onion, green onions, and parsley, saving about 1/2 cup of green onions and parsley mixture. Mix the ground meat mixture with the 1/2 cup green onion and remaining parsley, rice and enough broth to make a moist dressing. Stuff the dressing into sausage casing using a sausage stuffer. May be refrigerated, may be frozen. Prepare for eating by steaming. Do not fry or microwave as it will shrink and burst the casing.

CHRISTMAS, UNWRAPPED

Eggnog as you've never had it

This year, start with a stellar recipe, then mix things up with new flavors, finessed to the fullest.

By Noelle Carter, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

December 19, 2007

YOU'RE handed a glass of a familiar holiday drink, and a deliciously unfamiliar aroma greets you: toasted coconut with hints of Tahitian vanilla, cinnamon and Jamaican allspice. You raise the glass to your lips and are surprised by the satiny texture -- nearly thick enough for a spoon but soufflé-like. The flavor is rich and harmonious -- warm, caramel notes of dark Jamaican rum playfully flirting with the slight sweetness of coconut milk. It's the perfect tropical eggnog for a brisk holiday evening.

Eggnog? Yes, it is that time of the year, and eggnog is the official drink of the season. You know the usual incarnations: Thick or thin, packaged or homemade, it can be a dreamy, nutmeg-scented indulgence or a mere vehicle for alcohol. This year -- with inventive improvisations on a breakthrough modern recipe -- it's time for truly memorable eggnogs. We're talking pink nog-tini -- made with gin and maraschino liqueur -- or butterscotch eggnog, made with rye whiskey and brown sugar. Like other recent re-imaginings of classic cocktails, the reinvention of eggnog brings fresh ingredients and creative flavor combinations into play. There's also a (do-ahead) secret: thoughtful preparation.

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo...1,4658907.story

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

Many of us who have had pumpkin chiffon pie can never go back to the traditional version. This is a light fluffy pie with the same spicy pumpkin flavor we are all accustomed to.

I N G R E D I E N T S

1 9" baked pie shell or a 9" graham cracker crumb crust

1 tablespoon gelatin powder (such as Knox)

3 whole eggs, separated

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 1/4 cup cooked, or canned pumpkin (or prepare fresh, see below)

1/2 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoons each, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger

1/2 cup granulated white sugar

1/2 pint whipping cream for garnish (optional)

I N S T R U C T I O N S

Soak the gelatin 1/4 cup cold water. Beat the egg yolks slightly and combine in the top of a double boiler, the brown sugar, pumpkin, milk and the salt and spices. Cook and stir these ingredients over boiling water until thick. Stir in the soaked gelatin until dissolved. Remove from the cook top and chill until mixture begins to set.

Whip until stiff, but not dry the 3 egg whites. Gradually stir in the: 1/2 cup white sugar, then fold into the pumpkin mixture. Fill the pie shell. Chill several hours to set.

Serve garnished with: Whipped cream

Here is a recipe for a Christmas treat that I make with my sons every year. It is very easy and no baking is involved. It is for Buckeyes, a chocolate and peanut butter confection that is loved by all.

Buckeyes

3/4 cup peanut butter

1 lb confectioner's sugar

1 stick margarine

6 oz chocolate chips

1/8 stick parafin wax

Mix peanut butter, confectioner's sugar and margarine.

Roll into balls.

Chill several hours.

Melt chocolate chips and parafin in double boiler.

Use toothpicks to dip chilled balls into chocolate mixture.

Let cool.

They should look like this:

buckeye-tree-nut-lg.jpg

Sounds similar to my mom's but she serves it with applesauce and sour cream, usually with some sort of meat like a roast.

Oh yeah, we had sour cream too, for the potato pancakes. This time I went all out and cooked a rib roast with mushroom and onion gravy. It was all awesome, and worth the 5 hours I spent in the kitchen.