FEMALES NOT ALLOWED IN OLYMPICS SKI JUMPING ! ! !

The Rover

And this leads to a problem I've been having, but haven't found anyone to share it with: I have realized that there is a disticnt generation gap between the boomers and gen x (me). The fact is that the women before me really know what it's like to experience a lot of sexsim, whereas my mom raised me to believe that shit was pretty much over (god bless her). So I'm not sure if I properly recognized it when/if it was happening. I just said, "Hey! Quit being an asshole!"

I am feeling torn about this, for a number of reasons: for one, I support Obama which has led my mother to quit speaking to me. For another, though I am eternally grateful to the generation before me, I am really getting sick of some of their patronizing ways. No offense to anyone here, as it doesn't apply to anyone I've met in here. What I mean is that some of them are still acting like they have to prove everything, when people my age (almost 38) and younger just don't feel as much of a need. We are just "Doing our own thing, " like we were raised to!!! There are some women older than me that I would really like to say to, "Calm the fuck down! Come to your own party and enjoy it!" It's an uncomfortable topic for me, because they did so damn much so the rest of us wouldn't have to suffer. But I feel it needed to be said.

Yeah but times change and things move on and people can get stuck in their era. They were also the generation, as you pointed out, that always had to fight harder, so the gun is always loaded so to speak.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably support Obama too, because as much as I'd want Hillary to win, you have to put your support behind the candidate on your side who's most likely to win.

Yeah but times change and things move on and people can get stuck in their era. They were also the generation, as you pointed out, that always had to fight harder, so the gun is always loaded so to speak.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably support Obama too, because as much as I'd want Hillary to win, you have to put your support behind the candidate on your side who's most likely to win.

Suz, I think you should support whoever you feel is the right candidate for you.It would be totally counter productive to consider anything else.I grew up in the 60's and was basically a child of a single parent family. Mom was the bread winner. Not the norm for the time. I learned at a very young age , that she was more than capable of being a mother and, being a women in her own right. I won't say that she was ahead of her time, she wasn't. But I will say that, as a young boy growing up in that enviroment, I might have been a little ahead of my time. Don't get me wrong, I've got a number of male biasis that weren't converted :D but I will say that my son's have had the lesson passed on and are much better for it. It's not about era's, it's about what is happening ....right now. you don't owe us old farts anything other than continuing the lesson. Be yourself and if I may be so bold....Fuck'em

And this leads to a problem I've been having, but haven't found anyone to share it with: I have realized that there is a disticnt generation gap between the boomers and gen x (me). The fact is that the women before me really know what it's like to experience a lot of sexsim, whereas my mom raised me to believe that shit was pretty much over (god bless her). So I'm not sure if I properly recognized it when/if it was happening. I just said, "Hey! Quit being an asshole!"

I am feeling torn about this, for a number of reasons: for one, I support Obama which has led my mother to quit speaking to me. For another, though I am eternally grateful to the generation before me, I am really getting sick of some of their patronizing ways. No offense to anyone here, as it doesn't apply to anyone I've met in here. What I mean is that some of them are still acting like they have to prove everything, when people my age (almost 38) and younger just don't feel as much of a need. We are just "Doing our own thing, " like we were raised to!!! There are some women older than me that I would really like to say to, "Calm the fuck down! Come to your own party and enjoy it!" It's an uncomfortable topic for me, because they did so damn much so the rest of us wouldn't have to suffer. But I feel it needed to be said.

:lol: I love it. Keep it up, far as I'm concerned. What's the point of winning a fight (well, a big chunk of it, anyway) and then not, as you wisely say, "coming to your own party and enjoying it!"

Put it down to Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome on the part of your older aunties and sisters that they're still on hair-trigger alert. B)

Not to cause stife here, but, one thing that really bugs me about Obama is his willingness to allow the sexism in the media to eat away at Hillary's chances without him saying a word about it, while he very carefully and skillfully keeps racism front and center.

I get the distinct feeling (sadly) that he wants to bring us all together, as long as the women keep their place in the background. He of all people should know better.

If your mother won't speak to you because of this, though, that's just silly. I'm sorry to hear that.

Clinton/Obama '09! Obama/Clinton '09! Either way will be a huge leap ahead.

My Dear, I'm Australian, of course I know Germaine Greer :D

Germaine actually cops a lot of negative shit back here in Australia these days, mostly from the tabloid press for her outspokeness. Especially, God forbid, when she wasn't that crazy about Steve Irwin.

The thing I have to say about Germaine, and Gloria Steinem, is that you can't have it both ways. People may bitch about their outspokeness today, however it's that very same quality in both those women that gave them the courage to speak their minds back in the 60's, when Women just didn't say those sorts of things...

Germaine may say some outrageous things today, BUT, she had to be opinionated and not give a toss what people thought of her, to be able to get up there in the 60's and argue for women the way that she did. It's a personality trait that made feminism a real achievement back then, but it's a personality trait that i sense a lot of people wished would now disappear

I am a silly person, of course you've heard of Germaine Greer! Bless your heart for your understanding of them.

Alot of people back then wished that personality trait would disappear, as well...

Not to cause stife here, but, one thing that really bugs me about Obama is his willingness to allow the sexism in the media to eat away at Hillary's chances without him saying a word about it, while he very carefully and skillfully keeps racism front and center.

Yeah but as they say, all's fair in love and war and politics.

I mean look at what Bush's supporters did to John Kerry's military service history. I mean they were trying to prove that Kerry had lied and was not entitled to his medals. I mean that's rich coming from the camp of a President who didn't even go to Vietnam, preferng to do home guard service, at which his attendance was tardy at best.

Suz, I think you should support whoever you feel is the right candidate for you.It would be totally counter productive to consider anything else.I grew up in the 60's and was basically a child of a single parent family. Mom was the bread winner. Not the norm for the time. I learned at a very young age , that she was more than capable of being a mother and, being a women in her own right. I won't say that she was ahead of her time, she wasn't. But I will say that, as a young boy growing up in that enviroment, I might have been a little ahead of my time. Don't get me wrong, I've got a number of male biasis that weren't converted :D but I will say that my son's have had the lesson passed on and are much better for it. It's not about era's, it's about what is happening ....right now. you don't owe us old farts anything other than continuing the lesson. Be yourself and if I may be so bold....Fuck'em

Thank you for this. "Be yourself" is all I know. How ironic that it came back to bite my mom in the ass. It's sad but funny. Illuminating as well.

:lol: I love it. Keep it up, far as I'm concerned. What's the point of winning a fight (well, a big chunk of it, anyway) and then not, as you wisely say, "coming to your own party and enjoying it!"

Put it down to Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome on the part of your older aunties and sisters that they're still on hair-trigger alert. B)

I get the distinct feeling (sadly) that he wants to bring us all together, as long as the women keep their place in the background. He of all people should know better.

If your mother won't speak to you because of this, though, that's just silly. I'm sorry to hear that.

Clinton/Obama '09! Obama/Clinton '09! Either way will be a huge leap ahead.

I gotta tell ya, it's hard not to cry when I think of my mom brushing my hair and telling me that I would see a woman president in my lifetime. I will think about what you said aout Clinton/Obama. The thing is, when I was a kid I became a drummer because my mom never shut up about how there were no girls in the drumline. All I knew is that the drumline was where all the cute boys were, so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. The result: my mom was happy, I found out I was a pretty good drummer......and the boys stopped flirting with me and started treating me like shit! Which was pretty much how they treated each other. Too funny/weird.

I gotta tell ya, it's hard not to cry when I think of my mom brushing my hair and telling me that I would see a woman president in my lifetime. I will think about what you said aout Clinton/Obama. The thing is, when I was a kid I became a drummer because my mom never shut up about how there were no girls in the drumline. All I knew is that the drumline was where all the cute boys were, so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. The result: my mom was happy, I found out I was a pretty good drummer......and the boys stopped flirting with me and started treating me like shit! Which was pretty much how they treated each other. Too funny/weird.

:D Boys will be boys... cool that you picked up drumming.

Well, having a woman president is so close to happening, it will be a massive disappointment to me too if it doesn't come to pass. But, you have to vote your own beliefs, not your mother's.

This might give you some perspective on how much things have changed, and how quickly: when I was a little girl, I did the whole pull out the pots and pans thing, banging away on them like a little Bonzo (well, at the time I fancied myself a little Ringo). I loved the drums, I still love the drums, and I'm fairly sure I would've taken to playing them as naturally as breathing. My mom promptly made me stop and told me, as though explaining an immutable law of the universe, that girls did not play drums. And of course, looking around in 1964, who could argue with her? And that was the end of my sterling drumming career. :(

It's not like my parents weren't musical, either, they both played instruments, my Mom even play classical guitar professionally for a short time before WWII. There was music in the house all the time. Had I wanted a guitar, no doubt I would've gotten one, though probably not an electric one! :)

Yeah but as they say, all's fair in love and war and politics.

I mean look at what Bush's supporters did to John Kerry's military service history. I mean they were trying to prove that Kerry had lied and was not entitled to his medals. I mean that's rich coming from the camp of a President who didn't even go to Vietnam, preferng to do home guard service, at which his attendance was tardy at best.

I know... that was ugly as can be, it makes me queasy! At least that era's just about at an end... now if we can just get the Chinese to leave Tibet and let women into ski jumping, things will be much better.

Archived