RockAction's Fishing Thread!

Rock Action

You're supposed to bite the fish, not the other way around. :lol:

That fish looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. :blink:

Trout season here in a month and a half! :D

I don't fish much up here anymore. Rivers just aren't my style. I love bottom fishing and Puget Sound sucks for that. When the season opens I always think of my nephew who lived in Cascade Locks, Oregon. He died a couple years ago and he was a fishing fanatic and a hell of a nice guy. I caught my first salmon with him back in 2000.

Did anybody see that segment on -the morning show, cbs, about the guys spear fishing for tuna and were attacked by a tiger shark for two hours. with the video they showed, i don't quite understand the whole thing...fending off a shark while free swimming with a snorkel. anyway, the cbs show misrepresented the whole story it seemed like.

Did anybody see that segment on -the morning show, cbs, about the guys spear fishing for tuna and were attacked by a tiger shark for two hours. with the video they showed, i don't quite understand the whole thing...fending off a shark while free swimming with a snorkel. anyway, the cbs show misrepresented the whole story it seemed like.

'It's a tiger shark!'

'A whaaaa-at??'

(Scene from JAWS)

B)

'It's a tiger shark!'

'A whaaaa-at??'

(Scene from JAWS)

B)

What, a tiger shark attacks lethargically for two hours? i dont know, just seemed liked a hyped up story w/video to me. i know a mako shark swam into the bay here about ten yrs ago and was bumping into boats and swimming on the surface lethargically. turned out the shark was sick, or messed up from a storm or something.

What, a tiger shark attacks lethargically for two hours? i dont know, just seemed liked a hyped up story w/video to me. i know a mako shark swam into the bay here about ten yrs ago and was bumping into boats and swimming on the surface lethargically. turned out the shark was sick, or messed up from a storm or something.

I guess they get disoriented like whales when they beach themselves.

The mako is cousin to the great white.

Looks like this kid is going to take it home and put it in the fish tank.

I can't understand why they don't do catch and release. <_<

shortfin.htm_txt_mako-mike.gif

I dont know much about the science, but this segment on cbs morning show, led the viewer to believe it was some crazy shark battle...like a comic book or something. anyway, i guess it was more folks wanting to get on tv. i really dont see bumping a shark off with your hands and holding onto a sharks fin, as a shark attack. for 2hrs.

Ahhhh...Fishing with a drop line. There ain't nothin' like it. When I was a kid in San Francisco that's all I had to fish with as we were too poor to own any fishing rods. Fishing at the old ferry slips at the foot of Market Street we would catch 5 pound rock cod on drop lines and man, talk about having a fight on your hands. You had to be quick too because they would wrap themselves around the pilings or get hung up on some kind of junk on the bottom. We lost many that way. But when you got one up you were on cloud nine for the rest of the day. We also caught a lot of leopard and sand sharks with drop lines.

Hang on brutha!!

:D

Never used a trotline.

2.gif

:huh:

You can't see it in this pic but right down below the gift shop was 'Sutro Rock' where you could go out and fish for stripers when they were running. About 30 guys would be shoulder to shoulder taking turns casting out and when someone hooked one a pal would hold his line up high while he ran back to the beach to clear the rock and he'd then just haul the bass onto the beach. It was fun to watch but you also had to watch out for the huge waves that would pound the rock. They tore out access to the rock a few years back so now it's just a place for bird poop. B)

Cliff_House_and_Seal_Rocks_San_Francisco_SF29.jpg

• 2 months later...

hulu.com/watch/74257/nbc-today-show-wife-saves-man-from-shark-attack

By Mike Celiac

TODAYShow.com contributor

updated 6:28 a.m. PT, Fri., May 22, 2009

When the shark clamped its jaws on his forearm and wouldn't let go, Luis Hernandez knew it was going to take a miracle for him to escape with his life.Fortunately for the 48-year-old South Florida man, his wife, who was sitting in their anchored boat, was up to the task. Although she is only 5-foot-2 and 108 pounds, petite Marlene Hernandez somehow managed to haul up the boat's anchor, start the engine, race to her stricken husband and hoist his 160-pound body, mangled, useless arm and all, into their boat.

"She's my angel," Luis told Meredith Vieira Friday from Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, where he is recovering from the injuries he suffered on May 6 during a romantic getaway to the Bahamas. As his wife sat beside him smiling and blushing, he added, "She saved me and I love her so much before and even more now. I'm so happy to have her as a wife. I'm the happiest man on earth right now."

msnbc.msn.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived