The Southern/Lynyrd Skynyrd Thread

Is the song "In My time of Dying" by Led Zep a cover or what? because on the live dvd, Robert states that this song came from the deep south of America. It may not be a cover, but it could be one of those songs that there were many artists that did their versions and had no true original artist to claim rights to the song, kind of like "Black Betty".

Is the song "In My time of Dying" by Led Zep a cover or what? because on the live dvd, Robert states that this song came from the deep south of America. It may not be a cover, but it could be one of those songs that there were many artists that did their versions and had no true original artist to claim rights to the song, kind of like "Black Betty".

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Skynyrd or Southern Rock but yes, it is a cover. Bob Dylan also did it (as well as many others). There had to be someone that was the first to do the song but some tunes are labeled "Public Domain" after they've been around for a certain length of time. Either that or the credits mention something about a Traditional Arrangement. It the current artist makes any changes to the original composition their names are usually noted as well. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

You can read more about the origin and history of the song here.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Skynyrd or Southern Rock but yes, it is a cover. Bob Dylan also did it (as well as many others). There had to be someone that was the first to do the song but some tunes are labeled "Public Domain" after they've been around for a certain length of time. Either that or the credits mention something about a Traditional Arrangement. It the current artist makes any changes to the original composition their names are usually noted as well. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

You can read more about the origin and history of the song here.

It had do do with the South, in the video he says this song came from the deep south of America.

^^^ It's a song by Blind Willie Johnson, Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed. I guess he's most known for Dark Was The Night (Cold Was The Ground). Johnson was a great slide guitarist, check out his recordings, if you haven't done that already.

DVD_heartworn_highways.jpg

Must-see viewing for any fan of Townes Van Zandt (pictured on the cover), Guy Clark, Steve Young (author of Seven Bridges Road), Steve Earle, David Allan Coe and Charlie Daniels. Quite a bit of the Townes footage also showed up in the very excellent documentary on his life, Be Here To Love Me.

Many nights, after a night on the town me and my friends been coming home with a six pack and watched that movie. Excellent. Best scene is when Towns singing Waitin' Around To Die for the old blacksmith.

Picture229.jpg

Johhny Van Zant and some Of the Members of the Jefferson Starship 92 Meridan Mississippi

Well I believe that is all the Southern Rock Pictures I can Bore you with till I get back Home in Two Weeks as that is all I have scanned in My Photobucket. Hope you liked them

farout photo......who are the JS members you mentioned here? was Grace Slick still there?!

Many nights, after a night on the town me and my friends been coming home with a six pack and watched that movie. Excellent. Best scene is when Towns singing Waitin' Around To Die for the old blacksmith.

Yep, that's the scene depicted on the cover artwork. If that doesn't bring a tear to your eye you don't have a heart.

If you haven't seen it yet, I very highly recommend the Townes documentary Be Here To Love Me.

townesVanZandt.gif

Yep, that's the scene depicted on the cover artwork. If that doesn't bring a tear to your eye you don't have a heart.

If you haven't seen it yet, I very highly recommend the Townes documentary Be Here To Love Me.

townesVanZandt.gif

Haven't seen it yet, but been meaning to pick it up for awhile.. All I've heard about it is good stuff.

farout photo......who are the JS members you mentioned here? was Grace Slick still there?!

No Paul Katner was there .The gal doing the singing was Darby Gould she did a great job also papa John Creach was there.Jack Cassidy , Marty Balin also but no Grace.I am not a big Starship Fan but I got a chance to meet them so why not I was there for Skynyrd

Grace played at this show with Ten Years After opening 1970 Dallas

tenyearsafterairplane70dallas.jpg

Edited by alwizard03

ARSANDPATTRAVERS79ALABAMA.jpg

Atlanta Rythymn Section and Pat Travers with ex Black Oak Drummer Tommy Aldrich this was Travers best lineup ever in my opion

Billy Gibbons New Orleans 74 Warehouse picture courtesy of Sidney Smith Have a complete set of pics from this show but cant post as they were given to me had no camera that night sorry.

billygibbonsnola74.jpg

Edited by alwizard03

ZZTOP76.jpg

ZZ Top 1976 Worldwide Texas Tour Tejas

Thanks for posting these, Al! :) ZZ Top, another great band.

One silly question for you: how many concerts have you seen so far???

I noticed all the ticket buds and pictures you post and I am amazed by the quantity...

Do you get tickets for free? :D

ZZTOP76WITHJGIELSAUTOGRAPHEDFRANK.jpg

Autographed by Frank Beard 76 Tad Gormley/City Park Stadium pictures above are from louisville 76

zztopwarehouse82.jpg

ZZ Top Warehouse New Orleans 1982

Damn Al, I just know we spilled beer on each other some where along the way.

I've been to nearly all the New Orleans shows you've posted including the Edgar Winter Ruby Star show. St. Bernard Civic Auditorium right?

The Riot show at Tulane Stadium ZZ Top 76 was that wild, shit I went to see Skynyrd and they cancelled. :(

Thanks for posting these, Al! :) ZZ Top, another great band.

One silly question for you: how many concerts have you seen so far???

I noticed all the ticket buds and pictures you post and I am amazed by the quantity...

Do you get tickets for free? :D

Sometimes they are free but no not normally. I average about 8 or 10 shows per year some years a little more some a little less .I am behind this year been working too much but believe me I will catch up.

I've been to nearly all the New Orleans shows you've posted including the Edgar Winter Ruby Star show. St. Bernard Civic Auditorium right?

The Riot show at Tulane Stadium ZZ Top 76 was that wild, shit I went to see Skynyrd and they cancelled. :(

Theres a good chance of that even though I try not to spill my beer.I think I have had more beer spilt on Me than I have spilled.

EDAGARWINTER75WITHDERRINGER.jpg

The signature is Ronnie Dobbs Guitarist for Thunderhead He also played in BTO for awhile and played with Johnny Winter who produced the Thunderhead lp and his last BandS WERE JJ Muggler and Option O .Do you remmeber while Ruby was on stage someone tried to pull her off the stage and the Guitar Player kicked him.Two of My friends got busted that night at the show and Me and a friend of mine got arrested hitchiking home across the bridge going back to New Orleans East.They took us back to the station and called My friends brother in law to come pick us up.We were high and each of us had a ounce in our pants.They made us sit in a waiting room and all of a sudden a neutra ran through the room and a policeman came running in with his gun drawn threatning to shoot the rat well we ran out in the parking lot then they came and found us.The officer said we must be on some kind of dope because no rat was in the building a few minutes later My friend Charlies Sister and Brother in Law showed up and took us home we were on top of the chalmette bridge and Ricky.Charlies Brother in Law told us if we did not have any pot he was going to make us walk home well we didnt walk.After telling everyone how good the show was we wound up catching Edgar again a few days later in TX

EDGARWINTER75HOUSTON.jpg

This would be offtopic but the opening acts were southern Rock Bands

Edited by alwizard03

RUBYSTARR75.jpg

Found this in my stash of goodies Ruby Starr of Black Oak Arkansas saw her on this tour in New Orleans opening for Edgar Winter/with Rick Derringer and a local Southern Band called Thunderhead

Great show

Yeah, Ruby was a fine lady and artist. RIP Ruby. Jim Dandy dedicated a song to her, but I don't remember the name.