The Southern/Lynyrd Skynyrd Thread

I love Skynyrd but with all due respect the post-crash version doesn't even come close to holding a candle to the original (pre-crash) lineup of the band. The Allmans on the other hand are still just as vital as they've ever been thanks in no small part to Derek Trucks.

While I kind of agree I have been a fan of this band since the beginning and until they are either all on the slab or I am I will be there for them and Will continue to Support them as well as Greg and Charlie,Jimmy,Doug and quite a few more of my Southern Brothers thats just Me.

While I kind of agree I have been a fan of this band since the beginning and until they are either all on the slab or I am I will be there for them and Will continue to Support them as well as Greg and Charlie,Jimmy,Doug and quite a few more of my Southern Brothers thats just Me.

Amen brother from another mother :thumbsup:

I didn't say I didn't support them, I just don't think the current Skynyrd is even close to the original version of the band. That said, if it wasn't for the Tribute tour I never would have seen them in any form. I have also been a fan from the beginning but history took it's course before I had a chance to see them on the Street Survivors tour.

I didn't say I didn't support them, I just don't think the current Skynyrd is even close to the original version of the band. That said, if it wasn't for the Tribute tour I never would have seen them in any form. I have also been a fan from the beginning but history took it's course before I had a chance to see them on the Street Survivors tour.

Hey I know how you feel there. There canceled out at the ZZ Top World Wide Texas Tour in 76 that I went to and they were flying into Baton Rouge when their plane crashed. I guess it wasn't to be shit! :(

Hey I know how you feel there. There canceled out at the ZZ Top World Wide Texas Tour in 76 that I went to and they were flying into Baton Rouge when their plane crashed. I guess it wasn't to be shit! :(

Skynyrd was set to play Huntsville, Alabama, in the spring of 77, I had a ticket but it got cancelled.

So, the show, it was rescheduled for the Street Survivors Tour

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Drive-By Truckers from Let There Be Rock from Southern Rock Opera

...and while I'm at it, one more from Southern Rock Opera especially since you bring up Baton Rouge:

GREENVILLE TO BATON ROUGE

(Hood / DBT)

One more night, one more show, four down, eighty-four to go

This ain't no time for moving slow

Greenville to Baton Rouge

I'll call you up when I get through

The life I live is the life I choose

The shows have sure been great this year

All eight cylinders all twelve gears

Call you up when I touch down at the airport in a Louisiana town.

Street survivors, feeling no pain

A little more rock, a little less cocaine.

And don't forget about Stevie Gaines

I'll call you up when I get through

If it's the last thing that I do

Last night, you should have seen this plane. The right engine shot a twelve foot flame.

But South Carolina made us glad we came.

Now we're up in the air again.

Once we hit Louisiana, baby, I don't care

Got a brand new airplane waiting for us there

Give this piece of shit back to Aerosmith.

Wake me up when we get there.

The right engine gave a little flash, the pilot panicked and dumped the gas

Everything is quiet, we're dropping fast.

When we touch down gonna whup' his ass!

Can't die now got a show to do

The life I live is the life I choose

Greenville to Baton Rouge.

***Tells the tale of the actual final flight. For the record, the plane was a 1947 Convair Turbo Prop that had formerly been used as an airliner for Eastern before they moved to an all jet fleet. It was leased from a company in Dallas TX. The band Kiss had formerly leased it and Aerosmith had planned on taking it, but their management was appalled at how shabbily it had been maintained and passed on it.

From RollingStone.com:

Kid Rock, Peter Wolf, Lynyrd Skynyrd Raise the Roof at the Garden

20838592-20838593-slarge.jpg

Last night at Madison Square Garden, Kid Rock brought his Rock and Roll Revival Tour north of the Mason-Dixon for a crowd-pleasing review that included guests Peter Wolf, Reverend Run and Lynyrd Skynyrd, who were playing the Garden for the first time in their forty year career. Click below for photos and stories from last night’s gig.

Kid Rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Peter Wolf Lead Rock and Roll Revival Tour at Madison Square Garden

From RollingStone.com:

Kid Rock, Peter Wolf, Lynyrd Skynyrd Raise the Roof at the Garden

20838592-20838593-slarge.jpg

Last night at Madison Square Garden, Kid Rock brought his Rock and Roll Revival Tour north of the Mason-Dixon for a crowd-pleasing review that included guests Peter Wolf, Reverend Run and Lynyrd Skynyrd, who were playing the Garden for the first time in their forty year career. Click below for photos and stories from last night's gig.

Kid Rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Peter Wolf Lead Rock and Roll Revival Tour at Madison Square Garden

Wooow!!! I like that thing about "north of the Mason-Dixon line"!! :):):)

I agree with the latter, but I'm one of the few people (that I know anyways) that prefers Johnson to Scott.

Call me crazy, but I think he had a much better voice suited for that band.

AC/DC made consistently superior albums with Scott than Johnson. The only overall very good album they made with Johnson was Back In Black. All other Johnson era AC/DC albums have a lot of 'fillers' and forgettable numbers on them.

Scott's AC/DC albums were much better in general. Dirty Deeds, Let There Be Rock, Powerage, Highway To Hell...wow! :)

AC/DC made consistently superior albums with Scott than Johnson. The only overall very good album they made with Johnson was Back In Black. All other Johnson era AC/DC albums have a lot of 'fillers' and forgettable numbers on them.

Scott's AC/DC albums were much better in general. Dirty Deeds, Let There Be Rock, Powerage, Highway To Hell...wow! :)

I cant argue with that sounds like a true statement to Me.I love this band but I agree Bon Had the more stand out material but is that Brians fault does He write the Music? The Band was just at its creative peak in the late 70's and then its been a uphill battle to match what they accomplished in those days it happens to most good bands.

I don't think anyone's saying anything is Brian's "fault", just that they have a preference when it comes to the material.

"I'm sick to death of people saying we've made 11 albums that sounds exactly the same. In fact, we've made 12 albums that sound exactly the same."

- Angus Young

I don't think anyone's saying anything is Brian's "fault", just that they have a preference when it comes to the material.

"I'm sick to death of people saying we've made 11 albums that sounds exactly the same. In fact, we've made 12 albums that sound exactly the same."

- Angus Young

I agree with Him I just feel that the material not being up to earlier standards is proably not a reflection on Brian :D

Yeah that is true what has been said. Don't get me wrong, I do like Brian Johnson's voice.........before it began to sound like a duck LOL.

I prefer Bon Scott's rasping dirty voice though. More suitable to the down to earth grittier sound of their earlier albums. I guess Johnson's vocals suited the latter more polished production albums so that's not taking anything away from Brian. I do think though that Johnson was, dare I say it, trying to be Plant esq a bit too much (if the song Back In Black came out in '72 or '73 it would be accused of trying to ape Zep's Black Dog) whereas Scott didn't sound like anybody else that I can think of.

Edited by Mangani

I do think though that Johnson was, dare I say it, trying to be Plant esq a bit too much (if the song Back In Black came out in '72 or '73 it would be accused of trying to ape Zep's Black Dog) whereas Scott didn't sound like anybody else that I can think of.

Maybe it's just me but I hear absolutely no similarity whatsoever between Brian Johnson's vocals on Back In Black and Plant's on Black Dog. The only thing they have in common is the word "black".

By the way, does anyone here love 'One More Time' from Street Survivors as much as I do? If it's not my fave Skynyrd song, then it's way up there.

I love that one as well. It was a nice flashback to the beginnings of Skynyrd since it was pretty much one of the very first lineups of the band. If you haven't heard either of the records below (both of which include One More Time) they make a very welcome additions to any Skynyrd collection. The first one is the album One More Time was originally scheduled to appear on.

5158SBM0E9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg419mluH+BbL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Maybe it's just me but I hear absolutely no similarity whatsoever between Brian Johnson's vocals on Back In Black and Plant's on Black Dog. The only thing they have in common is the word "black".

That high pitched power way of belting, the likes of which Plant pioneered for male rock singers. You don't hear any similarity? The way Johnson screams "don't try and push your luck just get outta mah way" etc etc is Plant to a tee as is Johnson's yelling and screaming all over the song. Back In Black as a song in itself (while not an obvious 'aping' of Black Dog like Whitesnake's Still Of The Night was) is so Zep Black Dog ish. It's that whole heavy blues bump and grind kind of feel that Zep did so sexily on Black Dog. As I said, if Back In Black (the song) had come out shortly after Led Zep IV there would have been all sorts of accusations of trying to emulate Zep but almost a decade went by in the meantime with so many other groups having Zep leanings that few people really gave it much thought. In early '72 though, everyone would have said "hang on a minute, that sounds like Zep with that bump and groove, heavy drumming and bass and that singer screaming and wailing like a banshee over the whole preceedings".

I don't see Zeppelin in other AC/DC songs but with Back In Black it's all over the place, except for the guitars.

Edited by Mangani

I love that one as well. It was a nice flashback to the beginnings of Skynyrd since it was pretty much one of the very first lineups of the band. If you haven't heard either of the records below (both of which include One More Time) they make a very welcome additions to any Skynyrd collection. The first one is the album One More Time was originally scheduled to appear on.

5158SBM0E9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg419mluH%20BbL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Cool mate. Thanks. I'll have to get those. I haven't got the Delux Edition of Street Survivors, only the 'normal' version. I've been out of touch with Skynyrd lately (despite owning all their 'regular' albums with Ronnie). The last Skynyrd I bought a few years back was 'First And Last' but it doesn't have 'One More Time' on it. I guess there is more I need to get then. LOL.

That high pitched power way of belting, the likes of which Plant pioneered for male rock singers. You don't hear any similarity? The way Johnson screams "don't try and push your luck just get outta mah way" etc etc is Plant to a tee as is Johnson's yelling and screaming all over the song. Back In Black as a song in itself (while not an obvious 'aping' of Black Dog like Whitesnake's Still Of The Night was) is so Zep Black Dog ish. It's that whole heavy blues bump and grind kind of feel that Zep did so sexily on Black Dog. As I said, if Back In Black (the song) had come out shortly after Led Zep IV there would have been all sorts of accusations of trying to emulate Zep but almost a decade went by in the meantime with so many other groups having Zep leanings that few people really gave it much thought. In early '72 though, everyone would have said "hang on a minute, that sounds like Zep with that bump and groove, heavy drumming and bass and that singer screaming and wailing like a banshee over the whole preceedings".

I don't see Zeppelin in other AC/DC songs but with Back In Black it's all over the place, except for the guitars.

I just don't hear it, nor do I hear any Black Dog in In The Still of The Night. Now, Kashmir I do hear in there.

Cool mate. Thanks. I'll have to get those. I haven't got the Delux Edition of Street Survivors, only the 'normal' version. I've been out of touch with Skynyrd lately (despite owning all their 'regular' albums with Ronnie). The last Skynyrd I bought a few years back was 'First And Last' but it doesn't have 'One More Time' on it. I guess there is more I need to get then. LOL.

Years ago, on Skynyrd's official message board their archivist insisted there was nothing else left in the vault but ever since then there's been all kinds of stuff released (usually just one or two rarities tacked onto a compilation, a marketing tactic which I loathe). Also highly recommended is the Deluxe Edition of Gimme Back My Bullets that comes with a DVD of their Old Grey Whistle Test performance from the same time period when they were down to two lead guitarists. Believe you me, it still kicks ass.

Years ago, on Skynyrd's official message board their archivist insisted there was nothing else left in the vault but ever since then there's been all kinds of stuff released (usually just one or two rarities tacked onto a compilation, a marketing tactic which I loathe). Also highly recommended is the Deluxe Edition of Gimme Back My Bullets that comes with a DVD of their Old Grey Whistle Test performance from the same time period when they were down to two lead guitarists. Believe you me, it still kicks ass.

I agree with you on that it is a really good piece of video way better than my boot copy I used to have.

I just don't hear it, nor do I hear any Black Dog in In The Still of The Night.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? You don't even here the obvious Zep Black Dog wannabee in Still Of The Night???? :o

That song is famous for it.

Now, Kashmir I do hear in there.

Nah, that's in Queen's Innuendo.

Edited by Mangani