The Southern/Lynyrd Skynyrd Thread

IMG_8605.jpg

ZZ Top Jazzfest 2007 These were taken by the Jazzfest photographers it rained a good part of the day and I actually brought my camera with no memory card duhh The rain set up the next days show with the Allman Brothers that I dubbed the Mudfest

IMG_8550.jpg

IMG_8387.jpg

01_XU9D9006.jpg

waynelohrofJJMuggler98studiointheco.jpg

JJ Mugglers Wayne Lohr Keyboards at Studio in the Country Bogalusa LA Bands who have recorded here

Cinderella , Kansas, Stevie Wonder,Frankie Beverly and Maze, Marillyn Manson, and as per the engineer Jimmy Page did some stuff here to.There are others the dirty dancing movie soundtrack was also worked on here.

Vic chillin He plays Guitar also played with Molly Hatchett for a while

viclarrocajjmuggler98.jpg

Ronnie tunin up gettin ready to record a old Thunderhead song titled Lay it on the Line he has played for Johnny Winter and Bachman Turner Overdrive

ronniedobbs98.jpg

The Board Pappa Rock and Gene runnin things

geneandpaparock98.jpg

Edited by alwizard03

jjmugglerCalvinHuber98.jpg

Calvin Huber takes the reins for a bit

lastscan-3.jpg

Ronnie,Gene,Vic,Pappa Rock and Me 1998 New Ruins sessions The remake of Dreams Rocks kind of a cross between Allman Brothers version and Molly Hatchetts version

Lay It On The Line Rocks

I'm a fan but more of the pre-crash version of Skynyrd. I don't hate the post-crash version but they don't even come close to holding a candle to the original. Lately I've been enjoying the recently issued Deluxe Edition of Street Survivors.

Well Im sure I agree. But of course you still have Rossington and Colling in there I presume and I heard the singer from Blackfoot, an original member of Skynrd also. So Ill bet it will be good. They are coming to my area soon as the tickets are now on sale. Should I buy one????

Well Im sure I agree. But of course you still have Rossington and Colling in there I presume and I heard the singer from Blackfoot, an original member of Skynrd also. So Ill bet it will be good. They are coming to my area soon as the tickets are now on sale. Should I buy one????

Allen Collins passed away on January 23, 1990. Rickey Medlocke of Blackfoot was in Skynyrd very briefly but has never been considered a founding member of the band. The only original members left at this point are Gary Rossington and Billy Powell. If you have never seen Skynyrd I would recommend seeing them while you still can. I never got to see the original (pre-crash) version of the band but did get to see the Tribute Tour and several other shows after that. All I'm saying is, I'd never confuse them with the Ronnie Van Zant-era Skynyrd.

Allen Collins passed away on January 23, 1990. Rickey Medlocke of Blackfoot was in Skynyrd very briefly but has never been considered a founding member of the band. The only original members left at this point are Gary Rossington and Billy Powell. If you have never seen Skynyrd I would recommend seeing them while you still can. I never got to see the original (pre-crash) version of the band but did get to see the Tribute Tour and several other shows after that. All I'm saying is, I'd never confuse them with the Ronnie Van Zant-era Skynyrd.

How stupid of me. I thought Id heard that before (about Collins). That sucks. Im sure it will be good. I loved the brief time 38 special was around. didnt Collins play with them???

How stupid of me. I thought Id heard that before (about Collins). That sucks. Im sure it will be good. I loved the brief time 38 special was around. didnt Collins play with them???

.38 Special are still around. Allen Collins was never a member but .38 Special bassist Larry Junstrom played on Skynyrd's first album (Skynyrd's First not to be confused with Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd) (along with Medlocke). However, when Rossington and Collins formed The Rossington-Collins Band they recruited Dale Krantz from .38 Special on the strength of her background vocals.

.38 Special are still around. Allen Collins was never a member but .38 Special bassist Larry Junstrom played on Skynyrd's first album (Skynyrd's First not to be confused with Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd) (along with Medlocke). However, when Rossington and Collins formed The Rossington-Collins Band they recruited Dale Krantz from .38 Special on the strength of her background vocals.

So would I be correct to say that Van Zhantds brother would be the singer for the now "Lynrrd Skynrrd"??. I still dont think it is right to call them that out of respect for the departed. Its differant with Led Zeppelin in my opinion because they lost only one member, the drummer. And in my opinion the best drummer to ever walk the Earth but you still have the lead singer and guitarist. and to me they are not replacable in regards to the sound of the band. Im sure some will jump in here and say how that is not a fair statement, but I took music and play, so Im not brain dead on the subject. Van Zhandts brother can do a hell of a job and sound pretty much the same I think. Who in the world sounds like Plant? Nobody. I always wondered who really should get the most credit on guitar for Skynnrd. Steven Gaines? Or not?

So would I be correct to say that Van Zhantds brother would be the singer for the now "Lynrrd Skynrrd"??. I still dont think it is right to call them that out of respect for the departed. Its differant with Led Zeppelin in my opinion because they lost only one member, the drummer. And in my opinion the best drummer to ever walk the Earth but you still have the lead singer and guitarist. and to me they are not replacable in regards to the sound of the band. Im sure some will jump in here and say how that is not a fair statement, but I took music and play, so Im not brain dead on the subject. Van Zhandts brother can do a hell of a job and sound pretty much the same I think. Who in the world sounds like Plant? Nobody. I always wondered who really should get the most credit on guitar for Skynnrd. Steven Gaines? Or not?

Johnny Van Zant is the lead singer for Lynyrd Skynyrd and has been since they reunited for the Tribute Tour in 1987 ten years after the plane crash. Ronnie Van Zant wasn't the only one to die in the plane crash. Steve Gaines and his sister Cassie Gaines also died (along with their manager Dean Kilpatrick and both pilots). They apparently went through some ideas for other names for the band once they decided to regroup but stuck with Lynyrd Skynyrd. There's also a lot of legal things tied in with their use of the name that is far too much to go into here (that info is readily available online if you wish to know more).

In regards to Led Zeppelin carrying on under that name without John Bonham, it goes against the press release they put out after Bonham's death but Lynyrd Skynyrd also said they didn't see the band continuing without Van Zant. Many, many bands have carried on without key members but very few (if any) of them are as good as their original incarnations.

Johnny Van Zant is the lead singer for Lynyrd Skynyrd and has been since they reunited for the Tribute Tour in 1987 ten years after the plane crash. Ronnie Van Zant wasn't the only one to die in the plane crash. Steve Gaines and his sister Cassie Gaines also died (along with their manager Dean Kilpatrick and both pilots). They apparently went through some ideas for other names for the band once they decided to regroup but stuck with Lynyrd Skynyrd. There's also a lot of legal things tied in with their use of the name that is far too much to go into here (that info is readily available online if you wish to know more).

In regards to Led Zeppelin carrying on under that name without John Bonham, it goes against the press release they put out after Bonham's death but Lynyrd Skynyrd also said they didn't see the band continuing without Van Zant. Many, many bands have carried on without key members but very few (if any) of them are as good as their original incarnations.

Thanks for the info. And lets not forget the Who going on without Moon AND now Entwistle. That is far more to accept than what Zeppelin has done. And they only really did it twice. Live aid and O2. And I hope next year.

Thanks for the info. And lets not forget the Who going on without Moon AND now Entwistle. That is far more to accept than what Zeppelin has done. And they only really did it twice. Live aid and O2. And I hope next year.

They also played Jason Bonham's wedding and the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary concert.

Just anwering on the who has the most Guitar credit . Steve Gaines was a great addition to Skynyrd but He only played on a couple of albums as far as I know the live lp One more from the Road and the Freebird movie soundtrack His only studio recordings were on Street Survivor.

So most of the Skynyrd Sound as far as Guitar goes is from Collins,Rossington,and King gotta love em all.

Just anwering on the who has the most Guitar credit . Steve Gaines was a great addition to Skynyrd but He only played on a couple of albums as far as I know the live lp One more from the Road and the Freebird movie soundtrack His only studio recordings were on Street Survivor.

So most of the Skynyrd Sound as far as Guitar goes is from Collins,Rossington,and King gotta love em all.

I must have always been misinformed as I thought Gaines played the slide guitar on "Free Bird"?? Guess not. Just imagine what they may have accomplished if not for one terrible day.

I must have always been misinformed as I thought Gaines played the slide guitar on "Free Bird"?? Guess not. Just imagine what they may have accomplished if not for one terrible day.

It's Gary Rossington that plays the slide on Free Bird. I think Gains' playing some slide on T For Texas on the live album though.

It's Gary Rossington that plays the slide on Free Bird. I think Gains' playing some slide on T For Texas on the live album though.

Sounds possible I have a couple of Steve Gaines cds Dixie Special and I know a little live

interesting stuff

I'd say AC/DC did better without Bon Scott, and Van Halen did a good job with Sammy (he's no David Lee Roth but he did all right).

Other than that...you're probably right

I'd say AC/DC did better without Bon Scott, and Van Halen did a good job with Sammy (he's no David Lee Roth but he did all right).

Other than that...you're probably right

AC/DC with Brian Johnson and Van Halen with Sammy Hagar were both more successful commercially with those line ups but I'll take AC/DC with Bon Scott and Van Halen with David Lee Roth over those line ups any day of the week.