What's Everyone Listening To?

Jahfin

51gPKLCulxL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This sounds way better than it has any right to. I started out a huge Kasey fan with her debut album The Captain but slowly began to lose interest over the years. Believe you me, she is back in fine form with this one. Very solid and quite likely a late addition to my top ten this year.

Had to check it out. It sounds really good, I have to purchase this album.

I'm listening to The country side of Waylon Jennings (UK title of Don't Think Twice).

WaylonJenningsDontThinkTwice.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Had to check it out. It sounds really good, I have to purchase this album.

I'm glad you like it. Kasey's voice can be a bit of an acquired taste but if you're able to get past that you're in for a real treat.

Now spinning:

419KDxCPOOL._SL500_AA240_.jpg514s6NZM9JL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Been listening to a couple of great live albums lately:

Leon Russell - Leon Live

d233274cx8d.jpg

Review by Bruce Eder

Leon Live would probably loom larger in the memories of more fans today if only it hadn't come out after Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen (which was almost more a showcase for Russell and his band than it was for Cocker) and The Concert for Bangladesh, which, between them, gave everyone a lengthy preview of Russell's live act. On the other hand, it is 100 minutes of Russell's concert work in one place, which is either very compelling or a little too intense for most peoples' tastes. Russell was the leading white practitioner of big band rock in the early 1970s, and his sound was something new for most of the listeners he attracted — the Rolling Stones may have brought aboard a horn section and pianist to their stage act, but Russell was the real article, leading an octet (complete with two pianists) and five backup singers, doing a descendant of 1950s-style R&B of a kind that had been banished from the airwaves since the early 1960s, apart from some one-off successes like John Fred & His Playboy Band. Russell plays an authentic, classic New Orleans-style R&B, melded successfully to Bob Dylan's "The Mighty Quinn" (in the "Mighty Quinn Medley") and "Jumpin' Jack Flash," among other then-recent rock songs — mostly he animates his music and his singers and, from the sound of it, his audience for 11 minutes at a clip, with a sound that manages to be massive yet highly articulate, his band's pounding, driving impact leaving lots of room for Don Preston's and Joey Cooper's guitars to cut through. Appearing at the height of Russell's fame, this was originally a triple LP and one of the most successful of its era.

Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus

c5245552yl0.jpg

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Little Feat was one of the legendary live bands of the '70s, showered with praise by not only their small, fiercely dedicated cult of fans, but such fellow musicians as Bonnie Raitt, Robert Palmer, and Jimmy Page. Given all that acclaim, it only made sense for the group to cut a live album. Unfortunately, they waited until 1977, when the group had entered its decline, but as the double-album Waiting for Columbus proves, Little Feat in its decline was still pretty great. Certainly, the group is far more inspired on stage than they were in the studio after 1975 - just compare "All That You Dream," "Oh Atlanta," "Old Folks' Boogie," "Time Loves a Hero," and "Mercenary Territory" here to the cuts on The Last Record Album and Time Loves a Hero. The versions on Waiting are full-bodied and fully-realized, putting the studio cuts to shame. Early classics like "Fat Man in the Bathtub" and "Tripe Face Boogie" aren't as revelatory, but it's still a pleasure to hear a great band run through their best songs, stretching them out and finding new quirks within them. If there are any flaws with Waiting for Columbus, it's that the Feat do a little bit too much stretching, veering toward excessive jamming on occasion - and that mildly fuzzy focus is really the only way you'd be able to tell that this is a great live band recorded slightly after their prime. Even so, there's much to savor on Waiting for Columbus, one of the great live albums of its era, thanks to rich performances that prove Little Feat were one of the great live bands of their time.

Van Morrison - It's Too Late To Stop Now

c96719arv8j.jpg

Review by Jason Ankeny

While Van Morrison is, to be kind, an erratic and temperamental live performer, he's in stellar form throughout the double album It's Too Late to Stop Now, a superb concert set that neatly summarizes his career from his days with Them (represented by scorching renditions of "Gloria" and "Here Comes the Night") through 1973's Hard Nose the Highway ("Warm Love," "Wild Children"). In addition to the hits, including "Caravan," "Domino," and "Into the Mystic" (the final line of which gives the album its title), Morrison even pulls out a handful of R&B chestnuts ("Bring It on Home to Me," "Ain't Nothin' You Can Do") before capping off the collection with a show-stopping rendition of Astral Weeks' "Cyprus Avenue." An engaging, warm portrait of the man at the peak of his powers.

Reviews taken from www.allmusic.com

c5245552yl0.jpg

If you don't have a copy of the expanded version of this be sure to procure yourself a copy. It wasn't until I read the liner notes that I realized the amount of splicing that went on but it still doesn't detract from how great of an album it is.

• 2 weeks later...
If you don't have a copy of the expanded version of this be sure to procure yourself a copy. It wasn't until I read the liner notes that I realized the amount of splicing that went on but it still doesn't detract from how great of an album it is.

Thanks for the tip. I only got it on vinyl. I wonder how many of the live albums from the 70's that one listen to and think is great, that's not anything near the original recording, with all the overdubs, splicing and stuff that went on.. :D

Archived