San Francisco

Cactus

Yes, there are lots of members here under different names. Most of them banned for other things. If you want more info on that pm and I'll give it.

Nah, I'm well aware of the drama. That's partially why I took a break. It seems to have settled down for the most part, and that's good. It's supposed to be about Zeppelin right? Suddenly there was this pissing contest, people splintering into factions. Some of us just needed to get away from it. Others took opposing sides. I hope it's passed and we can get back to why we're here in the first place.

It's supossed to be about music. This place reminds of my high school sometimes, full of drama. Problems sprout up everywhere. Even the younger people have problems, even if they're established members.

It's supossed to be about music. This place reminds of my high school sometimes, full of drama. Problems sprout up everywhere. Even the younger people have problems, even if they're established members.

Well, as I said, hopefully that's all done with. A whole new world opened up with the reunion, and things got pretty crazy. I managed to steer clear of it mostly. Some folks got really mired in it. I do have my opinions about it, but I've kept them to myself and between me, the mods and Sam. There was a time I would eagerly do battle on the open forum. Bring it on, lol! But now that it's officially Zeppelin's board, I don't wish to sully it over petty grievances.

I learned to keep my mouth shut, not everyone wants my opinion. Some arguments aren't even worth it.

It wasn't IMO arguments so much, but people with control issues. Some wanted the spirit of the old board, while some wanted to rise to power on the new one while the others felt their voice had been taken from them, and it got pretty nasty. I stayed out of it. When I did post, I stuck to subjects like Jimmy's equipment and stuff like that. I can hold my own there, and the people who post are kind and appreciative. Some areas got positively scary! :lol:

I just had to get away. I stopped posting on all the other forums too. It all just got so hairy after the O2. The Robert bashing. The Alison bashing. Face it, if someone's not moved to do something, you can't force them. And if you do, you get something that isn't from the heart, right? Some of it's still going on. I just try to fly below the radar, know what I'm sayin'? ;)

Yeah. I ignore the Rober bashing, he's entitled to freewill just like everyone else. Just because we give him our money doens't mean we can control his life. I don't have a problem with alison either. I think there's more to Robert not reuniting that her. It's okay, I get to see him tomorrow. (:cheer:) I avpid all the fighting I can and just stick to talking to people who I get along with.

Edited: I have to go someone needs the computer. Hope to see you around soon!

well, according to led zeppelin live by luis rey, the 12/8 show in manchester did not include a san fran interlude, but did include some attempts at "hots on for nowhere". this recording does have a cut though. whats next...2 dates apiece at cardiff and birmingham (11&12 and 16th & 17, respectively) then brighton on the 20th and alexandra palace in london on the 22nd (for sure a perfomance of san fran) and 23rd.

It was definitely on the 12/8 shows as I have that recording.

It was definitely on the 12/8 shows as I have that recording.

what's the name and tracklisting of that show, cactus?

(cactus: But it's not on the Dec 16th show or any before it? Hmmm I will have to track it down. Thanks. )

i guess you have picked this up since starting this thread?

so you've narrowed it down further cactus, well done

when san fransisco was first incorporated into D&C is something i'd wondered about myself, now we pretty much know. i've always liked jimmy's playing in that section, particularly at earls court. it was only a few years ago i realised that one of the melodies from that section ended up in achilles last stand

ev, its a shame your tickets arent for nashville, you could have met up with eternal light to find out what they were on about earlier in the thread. i'm still no wiser

How about the reference Hots on for Nowhere? Robert scat singing over what turned into the riff of Walter's Walk? So cool to hear these embryonic moments. Not to mention the fact that the E climb to C from that San Fransisco section of D&C became the thrust of Achilles' Last Stand? :beer:

How about the reference Hots on for Nowhere? Robert scat singing over what turned into the riff of Walter's Walk? So cool to hear these embryonic moments. Not to mention the fact that the E climb to C from that San Fransisco section of D&C became the thrust of Achilles' Last Stand? :beer:

dazed and confused live was quite a well for embryonic moments, that's for sure. not too mention the kitchen sink aspect of the tune when page and bonzo went at it....

dazed and confused live was quite a well for embryonic moments, that's for sure. not too mention the kitchen sink aspect of the tune when page and bonzo went at it....

Very true! If you listen hard enough, you can literally hear all kinds of seeds of later songs!

BTW, regarding your avi, I spraypainted that on the garage door of my parents house when I was 15 (1981)! :lol:

"Jimmy Page is God" Eric who? Yeah baby! :D

JPIGonGarage.jpg

Very true! If you listen hard enough, you can literally hear all kinds of seeds of later songs!

BTW, regarding your avi, I spraypainted that on the garage door of my parents house when I was 15 (1981)! :lol:

"Jimmy Page is God" Eric who? Yeah baby! :D

JPIGonGarage.jpg

that is seriously kick ass! (if i may be '80's for a minute).

my friend lillith sent me a new badge since i had long lost the old one....thanks, lillith!

• 2 weeks later...
I just listened to D&C from 12/8, and while they play the instrumental part that would be the San Francisco interlude later, Robert does NOT sing the lyrics. I'll stick with my earlier assertion that it first appeared on 12/17...

As I said in the first post, I am more interested in the guitar part than the lyrics but it's definitely been narrowed down to only a couple of dates where the whole piece came together, no matter how you define it.

So I am happy to lay this to rest for the moment under my definition as the guitar part sans lyrics being first played on 1972-12-07 or possibly the show before it.

The next part of the mystery is this - how did it come about? I mean, if they were just jamming and Jimmy threw that in on one of those nights, it's pretty inspired. Do people think it was something he had already come up with before and on this night decided to put it into dazed? Or was it a piece of spontaneous inspiration?

Archived