San Francisco

Cactus

It wasn't played in the summer '72 tour, as it is absent on HTWWW, nor did it appear in Japan in October. According to Undeground Uprising website, it appeared on Dec 17, 1972 in Birmingham, England.

But it's not on the Dec 16th show or any before it? Hmmm I will have to track it down. Thanks.

It wasn't played in the summer '72 tour, as it is absent on HTWWW, nor did it appear in Japan in October. According to Undeground Uprising website, it appeared on Dec 17, 1972 in Birmingham, England.

Is there a boot of that? I'd be interested in hearing how it first popped in and how developed it was.

It had to be sometime after 1966 because "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)", a song written by John Phillips of The Mamas & the Papas to promote the June 16 to June 18, 1967 Monterey Pop Festival, and sung by Scott McKenzie, was first released in 1967.

By 1973, Led Zeppelin's reworked version of the Holmes song Dazed and Confused featured lyrics sung by Robert Plant from either Scott McKenzie's "San Francisco" or Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock" during the transition part of the song.

Page asked Plant to join the band in August of 1968. Matt's mention that Underground Uprising says the lyrics appeared on Dec 17, 1972 in Birmingham, England makes sense. There could have been an earlier appearance near October, 1968 when Jimmy Page re-worked Holmes' song Dazed and Confused.

Alex Reisner lists tour dates from September 14, 1968 onward for the New Yardbirds; it's possible Dazed and Confused may appear in the setlists; the San Francisco lyrics probably appeared sometime between September, 1968-December 1973, an approximate 5 year interval.

Reisner's earliest setlist is from January 10, 1969 at the Fillmore West, San Francisco, California, which featured Dazed And Confused; Plant may have included Phillips lyrics sung by McKenzie at this point to relate the song to the location. I'm guessing the Philips-McKenzie lyrics may have first appeared in Led Zeppelin's Dazed and Confused during one of the San Francisco shows. Reisner also indicates Led Zeppelin performed in San Francisco on January 9, 1969 at the Fillmore, so it could have been then. Any bootlegs from that period might clarify the if and when. Wiki indicates The Rising of The Zeppelin: Recorded at the Fillmore West, San Francisco, January 9th, 1969; original LP was released in red, green and blue.

My best guess is the Philips-McKenzie lyrics sung by Robert Plant may have first appeared in Led Zeppelin's Dazed and Confused on January 9, 1969 at the Fillmore West, San Francisco. Here is a link to a recording of Dazed and Confused from the January 11, 1969 San Francisco date courtesy of Matt and Mike, earfarm.blogspot.com; I haven't listened to it yet. Scroll down to Dazed and Confused; it's in mp3 format.

Sources: ledzeppelin.alexreisner.com/tourdates, earfarm.blogspot.com, wikipedia, www.mp3.com

they definitely played it at the alexandra palace in london on 12/22. there was a vinyl bootleg of it ("alexandra palace"), but i've never heard (or seen)the cd boot.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm it was played on the 1972-12-08 Manchester show.

According to the Concert File, the Glasgow show (1972-12-04) still included The Crunge. There is only one other show 1972-12-07 between then and the recorded Manchester show, so I would hazard a guess and say that Manchester is possibly the first occurrence. There is no known recording for the 12-07 show.

I will attempt to find the Glasgow show then, and this mystery could be solved.

^ Uh, yeah, I'd say since Led Zeppelin didn't exist until late '68, that's a safe bet.

:rolleyes:Is it really? I'm not saying the San Francisco shows were important or anything, especially in view of what happens in Nashville and a few other places. Not that it matters; after all it's only Led Zeppelin, a fleeting memory. But then again, the band was actually hot, or excuse me, in the words of Robert Plant "white hot" in those days, again not that it matters. It's just one of those things that was meant to be forgotten I guess. Fortunately, there is Nashville.

:rolleyes:Is it really? I'm not saying the San Francisco shows were important or anything, especially in view of what happens in Nashville and a few other places. Not that it matters; after all it's only Led Zeppelin, a fleeting memory. But then again, the band was actually hot, or excuse me, in the words of Robert Plant "white hot" in those days, again not that it matters. It's just one of those things that was meant to be forgotten I guess. Fortunately, there is Nashville.

What??

eh???!! i really dont follow this at all. i'd love to know what you're trying to say

eh???!! i really dont follow this at all. i'd love to know what you're trying to say

About the lyrics that Robert Plant sang from the song that John Phillips wrote for Scott McKenzie about San Francisco that premiered at the Monterey Pop Festival that was held in June, 1967?

i know what the topic is about. what i didnt understand is what your reply to mattmc73 means

Which part?

"I'm not saying the San Francisco shows were important or anything, especially in view of what happens in Nashville and a few other places. Not that it matters; after all it's only Led Zeppelin, a fleeting memory. But then again, the band was actually hot, or excuse me, in the words of Robert Plant "white hot" in those days, again not that it matters. It's just one of those things that was meant to be forgotten I guess. Fortunately, there is Nashville."

that part. all of it, but particularly nashville, and what's meant to be forgotten? and why doesnt it matter?

your truly,

well and truly perplexed of tunbridge wells

"I'm not saying the San Francisco shows were important or anything, especially in view of what happens in Nashville and a few other places. Not that it matters; after all it's only Led Zeppelin, a fleeting memory. But then again, the band was actually hot, or excuse me, in the words of Robert Plant "white hot" in those days, again not that it matters. It's just one of those things that was meant to be forgotten I guess. Fortunately, there is Nashville."

that part. all of it, but particularly nashville, and what's meant to be forgotten? and why doesnt it matter?

your truly,

well and truly perplexed of tunbridge wells

Nashville is pretty important, but then it usually is.

Archived