Southampton 73' Thank you

snapper

Orlando 8-31 is good. But it's not as good as Southampton. Probably not as good as 6-25-72 also.

I been trying to get the original HTWWW show bootlegs but cant find them easily, like Burn like a Candle, I got some of the 27th but only the songs not on HTWWW, but I want them all.

Well my situation with Thank You may be why I like Orlando 71 the most. Let me explain. Ive had a few bootlegs that have Thank You in them, like blueberry hill and im sure i listened to those bootlegs, b ut either I dont remember Thank You or I skipped it as I thought it would be slow and acoustic. So I was reading up on the forum and saw a thread about Thank You BBC as pages best solo ever and then someone on there said Orlando 71 was even better and with the Organ Solo. So I set out to get Orlando and was looking forward to Thank You and when it came on I was just blown away by the Solo and became obsessed with it. After that I heard some other Thank You's, like Southhampton, MSG 73, Bluberry Hill, BBC, etc. But Southhampton and MSG especially were much cleaner than Orlando, the tone of the guitar was very clean and it seemed the solo was not as fast. Perhaps like comparing a early SIBLY to a latter one, or same could be said for some other songs. So I I just prefer Orlando because of this and I honestly had thought it was unanimous. But now im seeing many people have different opinions on best versions. So I gotta check some others out.

Hmmm funny I think Southampton version is the worst and most appalling versions ever.

Im with you on this one Jimmy, i know so many love this show, but to me its one of the worst peformances ive heard!

It sounds restrained to me, like the tiny venue didnt suit somehow.

Robert mentions they'd been in the bar all day, seems pretty apt!

• 4 years later...

I think Southampton 73 was the greatest Zeppelin concert! I know 99.99% if not 100% would disagree, but I love the mellow blues (deep bass) sound of the entire show. Listen to SIBLY from it! It's pretty much the same as in TSRTS but it's very deep. And HMMT wasn't the best since they hadn't played it in over a year and Plant jumped forward to the 'got you in the sights if my gun' part too quickly, but it sounds amazing during the 'got me a girl, and I kissed her, whoops oh no I did it again..' part Plants voice sounds incredible and the beat is so strange! Whole Lotta Love (Medley) was incredible throughout all 25 minutes! Getting to Thank You, what can I say? 'Oooooooh darlin' woaoh, darlin! Don't leave me alone, leave me alone, leave me alone oh oh!' gosh the whole band was on fire throughout it!!!! I would definitely pay $100 any minute of the day for a good copy of this album!

• 1 month later...

Archived