Horse Racing Thread

overthehillsandfaraway

The Breeders Cup is coming soon and the word is that the European's may have one of the strongest group ever. And they will be at Churchill Downs I am quite sure and they have liked that track far better than California, where they must cross 8 or 9 times zones. Not that Churchill isnt almost just as far but the weather is a bit closer to the European weather they are used to. I can never get used to watching them run clockwise, like they do in Europe. I wonder if that effects a horse, coming here and running counter clock wise? Anyway, on the grass they will be a force to be reckoned with as usual. I dont know the liinup yet for the Classic, the second richest race in all of horse racing. Second only in purse money to the Dubai World Cup and more than the Kentucky Derby. Any true horse player knows, this is the Super Bowl of racing. Not the Derby. I will post some picks that I believe are worth taking a stab at. I have a $205 check coming in the mail from a double I hit at Woodbine in Canada. I texted a friend to play it but he did not listen. Wouldnt you trade $2 for $205? If one is going to gamble, it is the best form. You can invest minimal money and get larger returns. But you need to know a little about it. If you just like to bet the name of your cat, sometimes it works. More times it doesnt.

When is the Breeders Cup this year? I don't follow horse racing like I used to but I still like to watch the Triple Crown races & Breeders Cup.

A long time ago (late 70's) I read an article where they were training an American horse for the Prix d' Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp (France) and the trainer said that to get the horse used to the direction & conditions they galloped him clockwise on a grassy meadow (the turf in Europe is usually softer than on American tracks).

When is the Breeders Cup this year? I don't follow horse racing like I used to but I still like to watch the Triple Crown races & Breeders Cup.

A long time ago (late 70's) I read an article where they were training an American horse for the Prix d' Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp (France) and the trainer said that to get the horse used to the direction & conditions they galloped him clockwise on a grassy meadow (the turf in Europe is usually softer than on American tracks).

I am very certain it is at Churchill Downs. Home of the Twin Spires.

Seems like they always have it there or at Santa Anita these days.

It was at Monmouth park a few years back for the first time ever. It was at Belmont also. And even at Woodbine in Canada. Would only seem fair to have it in Europe but I guess it would be too difficult to bring so many american horses at once, compared to the European horses that are flown here, far less.

Just made my first ever bet on a horse at Hastings. Feature race in the slop and took the word of an analyst on the 2 horse. Fingers crossed. But just went real light.

Hastings? Where is that? Is that a new track?

LOL I remember when I first got into horse racing, the New York tracks (Aqueduct & Belmont) would close down for the winter and channel 9 would show racing from Hialeah. And there wasn't any racing on Sunday either.

Hastings? Where is that? Is that a new track?

LOL I remember when I first got into horse racing, the New York tracks (Aqueduct & Belmont) would close down for the winter and channel 9 would show racing from Hialeah. And there wasn't any racing on Sunday either.

Its near Vancouver. I now have an account with racelinebet.com. Linked to Twiin Sprires. Just took out my first withdrawal. Have a check on the table for $200 from a double I hit at Woodbine. You get to watch any track for free and get the track payout. Easiest way to make a deposit is with a green dot card you can buy at a drug store.

• 1 month later...

In exactly one week the Breeders Cup thorobred championships will be run at Churchill Downs. 11 races run over the course of two days with most of the big events being Saturday and the Breeders Cup Classic with undeafed Zenyatta running her last ever race. The question is, is it one too many? She may be unbeatable but I remember Cigar being run one too many and not winning the final race. Though the situation is very different. I have bought the advance and will be checking it out all week and will see what horses look the best. The European invaders will be very tough especially on the grass.

I still have to go with Zenyatta- yeah most of her wins have been in California against other F&M's but she did win a little known race called the Breeders Cup Classic last year ;) so until there's a horse that can beat her, she deserves the respect. Go Zenyatta!!!

Also, stories like this are good for the sport- seems like every time horse racing starts to get popular again something bad happens.

I still have to go with Zenyatta- yeah most of her wins have been in California against other F&M's but she did win a little known race called the Breeders Cup Classic last year ;) so until there's a horse that can beat her, she deserves the respect. Go Zenyatta!!!

Also, stories like this are good for the sport- seems like every time horse racing starts to get popular again something bad happens.

If the race is a foot more she wins it. Too bad. But it was as good as if she had won it. She will go down as one of the great's no matter.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Silvermedalist- with the Derby now only a month away, who do you think are the top contenders?

I just watched the Wood Memorial to see Uncle Mo, but he finished 3rd. My feeling is (even though it cost him his first defeat) that once the jockey realized that the other 2 horses were coming up fast. ne gave him the whip a couple of times but really didn't push him, so Uncle Mo wouldn't "use" himself up & recover enough to be at his peak on Derby Day- what do you think?

Silvermedalist- with the Derby now only a month away, who do you think are the top contenders?

I just watched the Wood Memorial to see Uncle Mo, but he finished 3rd. My feeling is (even though it cost him his first defeat) that once the jockey realized that the other 2 horses were coming up fast. ne gave him the whip a couple of times but really didn't push him, so Uncle Mo wouldn't "use" himself up & recover enough to be at his peak on Derby Day- what do you think?

I must confess I am not totally up to date on the three year old situation as of this weekend. I am not optomistic that i will live to see another triple crown winner. No I am not dying anytime soon I hope. But its the fact that 1978 was the last one and I feel Afleet Alex should have won it. And thought the other Dutrow horse had it in the bag and could not win it. The Derby you have to be good and more lucky than good. It is a tough race to win. Given the herd that is put in the race, twenty horses. I will be more up to date soon. Stay tuned.

• 4 weeks later...

The Kentucky Derby is tomorrow and Unlce Moe the early favorite is a scratchy. This makes it even better for the bettor. I like the 13 hourse Macho Macho Man in exacta boxes with several other horses. One longshot I like a bit is Twinspired. I will box the 13 with the 8 Dialed Up, the 10, the 16 Animal Kingdom and the 15 Midnight Interlude. If you spread and do this, you will still make a profit. I picked the winner of the Dubai World Cup, the japanese horse. Good Luck

It's too bad Uncle Mo was scratched but I'm glad his connections did it out of concern for the well being of the horse. Hopefully they will find out what's wrong with him & we'll see him compete later this year in the Travers & Breeders Cup.

Right now I'm leaning towards Midnight Interlude (but who knows I might change my mind before the race).

It's too bad Uncle Mo was scratched but I'm glad his connections did it out of concern for the well being of the horse. Hopefully they will find out what's wrong with him & we'll see him compete later this year in the Travers & Breeders Cup.

Right now I'm leaning towards Midnight Interlude (but who knows I might change my mind before the race).

I bet Midnight Interlude. wheeled him over the 8,13,16,19. In race ten I like the 13 Battle of Hastings. this race is the Woodword reserve. A grade one million dollar turf race. I won big in this race on Giacomo day.

With Johnny Velazquez on top, Animal Kingdom wins the 137th "Run for the Roses" at the Kentucky Derby - May 7, 2011.

This was Animal Kingdom's first race on a dirt surface. He really zoomed on that last one hundred yard stretch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAyTWGYe8SEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVi6-83TAtA

Edited by Silver Rider