Horse Racing Thread

overthehillsandfaraway

I have played the horses for many many years and will say this sport has done me far more good than bad. I dont know if there is any interest here, but with the Kentucky Derby 2 weeks away, Ill see what kind of feedback I get. I just hit the Lexington Stakes exacta for $237, had the Florida Derby and have won many large bets on horse racing (the sport of Kings). I know that in England you have some great racing and in fact turf racing is my favorite. But lets talk Derby. On paper this race to me is a two horse race right now. In the past favorites have done poorly. But if there are no unforseen events in the next two weeks, I will hammer an exacta box of Colonel John and Big Brown. And wheel them both ways and use all other horses for third for the trifecta. Any horse players here???

I usally go down twice a year to Arlington Racecourse and spend an afternoon. I don;t get much into the betting of it, but i do like the sport of it. I always watched the Ketucky derby and the rest of the triple crown until the Winner of the Kentucky derby losses.

My father asked me last year to go pick him up a ticket at the OTB during the belmont. He picked Gorege Washinton. So i got to make fun of him that his horse couldn't even last the race so they killed it on the track.

I just go striaght up Win/place/show bets and never more than $10.

Edited by Pb Derigable

Only major horse race I've been to was the 1984 Kentucky Derby. I was so wasted on Cap'n Morgan spiced rum I don't remember anything about the horses. Nor did I ever even see one. There were so many people on the infield where I was all I could do was hang out on a small hill overlooking the women's bathroom where guys would yell at the chicks to show your tits! It was tradition and many ladies did it! :D

I did see a friend from several states away just roaming around though too.

I remember going in and the entrance sign said NO BOOZE to be brought in. So I quickly drank some of my coke and filled the 2 liter up with the pint of rum. The gate attendent opened my bottle cap, smelled the coke and looked me right in the eye and said, GO IN. He screwed the cap back on and gave me my bottle! I was happy.

That was my horse racing story.

I haven't been following horse racing too much this year, but I enjoy it. I always watch the Triple Crown races & the Breeders Cup. Unfortunately the major Long Island newspaper cut back on its horse racing coverage, so I haven't been up to date on this year's contenders, but I heard that War Pass, who was mentioned quite a bit earlier in the year as a possible favorite, will miss the Derby.

I haven't been following horse racing too much this year, but I enjoy it. I always watch the Triple Crown races & the Breeders Cup. Unfortunately the major Long Island newspaper cut back on its horse racing coverage, so I haven't been up to date on this year's contenders, but I heard that War Pass, who was mentioned quite a bit earlier in the year as a possible favorite, will miss the Derby.

Big Brown and Colonel John are the two best horses in this race and I will box them and play trifectas using all the rest for third. Favs rarely win the Derby but this year may be an exception. Indeed War Pass is out.

Big Brown and Colonel John are the two best horses in this race and I will box them and play trifectas using all the rest for third. Favs rarely win the Derby but this year may be an exception. Indeed War Pass is out.

I guess it'll be another 20 horse field this year, hopefully they will draw good post positions next Wednesday.

I will probably download the PP's from DRF so I'll have some idea who's who.

I guess it'll be another 20 horse field this year, hopefully they will draw good post positions next Wednesday.

I will probably download the PP's from DRF so I'll have some idea who's who.

Just hope they dont draw 16-20 which is considered the auxilary gate. But I believe these two are standouts. But so was Afleet Alex who should have won triple crown and a bad trip with too much to overcome did him in. He finished a game second and won the Preakness and the Belmont. and won the Belmont after almost being knocked over. Big Brown and Colonel John is a very good exacta box. I will see the field later for the one million dollar turf classic. the race before the Derby which is a very good betting race.

Just hope they dont draw 16-20 which is considered the auxilary gate..

Charismatic (1999) & Thunder Gulch (1995) both started from post 16 so it's possible to win from out there. At least there's a good distance to run before the turn, so if your horse has some early foot you can get a decent position by that point and not be caught too far outside. Still, the auxilliary gate is nobody's choice.

• 2 weeks later...
Charismatic (1999) & Thunder Gulch (1995) both started from post 16 so it's possible to win from out there. At least there's a good distance to run before the turn, so if your horse has some early foot you can get a decent position by that point and not be caught too far outside. Still, the auxilliary gate is nobody's choice.

With 4 choices left in the draw, the braintrust behind Big Brown, the favorite in the Kentucky Derby, only a few hrs away, has chosen post 20-the auxilliary gate. They believe he can clear and control the pace. I am boxing him with Colonel John and using the 19, 4, 6, and 11 in tris. For those that dont like or never watch racing, I suggest to tune in for the "most exciting two minutes in sports". It is truly a great american tradition. Just go easy on the Mint Juleps. Good luck to all the players.

Well good luck to you. I am betting against Pyro. I like Colonel John and Big Brown. If either wins, I win. Enjoy! This is a day that I always look forward to.

Wow! You guessed her Chester! How much did you win? :D

Edited by Audacity

Big Brown wins.

He was clearly the best horse in the race & looked like he wanted to run more- on to the Preakness!

So sad for poor Eight Belles, she ran a great race to get second. I am not too much of a betting person but I do love the beautiful horses and I always feel so bad when any of them get hurt. When I was a kid and first got into horse racing, Ruffian was my favorite horse, but her life too ended so soon.

^ Yep, very sad...

The cheers for the winner's 4 3/4-length victory were cut short when Eight Belles, the runner-up, collapsed while galloping out near the second turn. She broke her two front ankles and was euthanized on the track minutes later.

"When we passed the wire I stood up. She started galloping funny. I tried to pull her up. That's when she went down," said her distraught jockey, Gabriel Saez.

I usally go down twice a year to Arlington Racecourse and spend an afternoon. I don;t get much into the betting of it, but i do like the sport of it. I always watched the Ketucky derby and the rest of the triple crown until the Winner of the Kentucky derby losses.

My father asked me last year to go pick him up a ticket at the OTB during the belmont. He picked Gorege Washinton. So i got to make fun of him that his horse couldn't even last the race so they killed it on the track.

I just go striaght up Win/place/show bets and never more than $10.

He said something about putting a bet down on 8 belles today along with BIg Brown and Pyro. and i told him before he went to the OTB, I hope your horse atleast crosses the finish line before dying this time. He hasn't returned my call. I hope he didn't bet on the philly or he may quit.

I was told a year ago, alot more horses are breaking down because the arabs will fix genitic mistakes with plastic surgery and when the horse go to fuck, that gene is carried on without the owner knowing.

I was told a year ago, alot more horses are breaking down because the arabs will fix genitic mistakes with plastic surgery and when the horse go to fuck, that gene is carried on without the owner knowing.

Yeah, I can hear PETA having a hayday as a result of todays injury at the Derby. Although I suppose these types of injuries are to be expected when an animal of this young age is made to compete at this level. So much muscle mass and speed on bones that are not fully developed.

But that being said, anyone who allows a Thoroughbred to be bred knowing of a problem is a piece of shit. Right now a friend of mine is just about to have her horse put down due to scale four lameness. She had tried over the last two years to rehabilitate the horse to at least be sound enough to trail ride. However, unfortunatly the horse is only getting worse. But the sick thing is; you would be shocked at how many breeders want my friend to "donate" her horse to them for breeding anyway. So damn irresponsible and greedy of some breeders.

Wow! You guessed her Chester! How much did you win? :D

I hit the two day Oaks Derby DD. And had the trifecta in the race, two before the Derby. Won at Belmont today. The thirty year wait for a Triple Crown winner I believe is over,. I dont think anything will stop this horse from winning the Triple Crown. He is a cinch in two weeks in the Preakness. Cinch.

As usual a horse had to be put down again. <_<<_<

Makes me sick!

They should drug test them, due to so much corruption in horse racing. Scary. :(

It is very sad. But the horses are very well treated. Treated better than the jockeys. It doesnt happen often. It just gives the sport a black eye when it happens in such a big race witnessed by so many. You may watch racing for a year and not see this. But unfortunatley it happened two years in a row in Triple Crown. Big Brown is going to break the thirty year hex.

I remember when Secretariat did it in '73, right ?

Yes indeed. And there were three in the seventies. Secretariat, Affirmed and Seattle Slew. hasnt happened since 1978. Several times horses have won the first two only to lose the Belmont. this Big Brown is a Monster. I think he will get the job done.