Horse Racing Thread

overthehillsandfaraway

The Melbourne Cup over 2 miles is on again next Tuesday 6/11/12.

The favourite and 2010 winner is a French horse called Americain and paying $5.50 for the win.

you having a bet, reggie? any hot tips?

i'll be at work till 3, might get rodders to put a bet on for me.

we always have a few sweeps. i won one of them last year, i think $20 woohoo!

When I get the form Ill get you a winner. I am the guy when it comes to horse racing. No brag. Just fact

:thumbsup:

do you follow the melbourne cup every year?

i've never been, but hope to one day. just to see the spectacle of it, all the funny dress -ups

No I dont but I do stay up some nights and watch and wager on Australian racing. big fields, and of course all Turf and they run clockwise overseas as opposed to counter clock wise here. Anyway, championship days are Friday and Saturday at Santa Anita. Churchill downs hosts this big event more often than most tracks, but it has been at Belmont in NY, Monmouth in N Jersey (once), Woodbine in Canada and it is a great international event with big prices for sure.

I have just finished a quick study of both days. I will start by putting up a few picks for Friday, tomorrow, the good news is the old song, "It never rains in Southern California" is pretty damn true when it comes to racing and that is a good thing. Of course the European horses will have to cross up to 8 or 9 time zones in some cases with the races being in California. It probably wont be in Cal again for at least 4 years. I will take a shot in race one with an exacta wheel. I will go 1,10 with 11,12 for a $1 ex (total cost of $4). I like the 10 the best. In race two I like the 3 and will bet to win and a tri 3-7-6,8. In race three I will wheel another $1 ex 5,7 with 3,4. I will bet the 10 horse to win in race 6 (10-1 on the morning line with Frankie Dettori up). On Saturday I love a horse called Groupie Doll. The 9 in race 5. More to come later.

https://www.betamerica.com/ This company and Expressbet are both giving great promotions to first time bettors. If you deposit $100 and wager it by Sunday, Breeders Cup are Friday and Sat, they will give you back $150 regardless of how you do. How can you go wrong? Make sure you tell them Rickb57 sent you. Ha. Seriously, I would get a bone to chew on. But its a good deal.

Dont forget to check my early picks above. Get down!!!!!

Yeah, I'll have a punt. Probably Dunaden, Americain and another one in a trifecta after the field is finalised on Monday.

https://www.betamerica.com/ This company and Expressbet are both giving great promotions to first time bettors. If you deposit $100 and wager it by Sunday, Breeders Cup are Friday and Sat, they will give you back $150 regardless of how you do. How can you go wrong? Make sure you tell them Rickb57 sent you. Ha. Seriously, I would get a bone to chew on. But its a good deal.

Dont forget to check my early picks above. Get down!!!!!

sorry, you got me a little wrong .... i'm not a horse racing fan, and i never bet on them.

but the melbourne cup is "the race that stops the nation "" and the majority of aussies take an interest in this one race.

go into any store or business at the time of this race, and you will hear it being broadcast over the pa, or find groups of people huddled around a tv or radio. i will be at work, so will buy a sweep, and hubby will place a small bet for us both.

thanks anyway though!

I like a couple horses tomorrow. Watch out for the Japanese invader, Trailblazer in the Turf Classic. Looks like a monster. And in the next race I like Poseidon's Warrior.

In an earlier race I may put a bet on a horse called George Vancouver. Ally, maybe worth a trip to that track up there, I can never think of the name of it.

Edited by LedZeppfan77

I like a couple horses tomorrow. Watch out for the Japanese invader, Trailblazer in the Turf Classic. Looks like a monster. And in the next race I like Poseidon's Warrior.

In an earlier race I may put a bet on a horse called George Vancouver. Ally, maybe worth a trip to that track up there, I can never think of the name of it.

George Vancouver won. Paid $20 to win. See my prediction from yesterday above. First one is a winner.

I did bet the 4 horse in the classic but over all not a good day for the exotics. I had that Vancouver horse that paid nice. Had him over three horses for the exacta including the 8 that came 3rd. would have made my day if he came second because the exacta would have been huge. The 9 did me in on the exacta. Breeders Cup is as tough to pick as the Kentucky Derby. Your daily four year olds and up shitty claiming races are far better for making money than these big events. I do prefer Turf racing. Saratoga and Del Mar my favorite meets.

Do you go up to Saratoga at all during August?..........Thats one thing I wish I had done while living up there. We would hit Bellmont during the tripple crown in June, and Yonkers raceway for the harness racing. There is few highs that compare to the rush you get when the horses are coming into the home stretch.

Edited by zepscoda

Do you go up to Saratoga at all during August?..........Thats one thing I wish I had done while living up there. We would hit Bellmont during the tripple crown in June, and Yonkers raceway for the harness racing. There is few highs that compare to the rush you get when the horses are coming into the home stretch.

I have been to Saratoga once. We have Finger Lakes here for live racing. Its 4 1/2 hour drive to Saratoga. We hit lake George for a weekend and Saratoga a few years back

The Cup is on in about 5 hours, 3pm ESST.

Only one bet this year, a trifecta 1, 2 15.

It'll pay a few grand if and when it gets up.

I don't gamble much anymore because for the most part most of the races are dodgy at best.

Why is a jockey who "allegedly" admitted he placed a $10K bet on an opposing horse be allowed to ride the "favourite" in the most prestigious race in the country today?

This sort of thing happens in all countries, I'd wager!

Am I missing something!?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/superracing/damien-oliver-fronts-panel-in-betting-probe/story-fn67r2yq-1226511029471

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dubai World Cup going on right now in the United Arab Emerites. Dubai's richest race, the 9th is the World Cup and the purse is $10 million which is more than the Kentucky Derby and the Breeders Cup Classic. I like Animal Kingdom to win it. I suggest an exacta of 12 over 5, 13