Britain's wealthiest music millionaires

Cat

Friday, 25 April 2008

As part of its annual Sunday Times Rich List, The Sunday Times has produced a top 50 chart of Britain's wealthiest music millionaires (in addition to the Young Music Millionaire's list) which includes performers, producers and record company owners.

The list sees Sir Paul McCartney valued at £500m despite the fact that reports from his recent divorce hearing said he was worth £400m.

Guy Hands, who bought EMI for £2.4bn, is the top new entry in the list with £250m and seventh place.

Chris Blackwell, the London-born founder of Island Records, is another new entry with £100m.

1 Clive Calder £1,300m

2 Lord Lloyd-Webber £750m

3 Sir Paul McCartney £500m

4= Simon Fuller £450m

4= Sir Cameron Mackintosh £450m

6 Madonna and Guy Ritchie £300m

7 Guy and Julia Hands £250m

8 Sir Elton John £235m

9 Sir Mick Jagger £225m

10 Robert Stigwood £212m

11 Sting £200m

12 Keith Richards £190m

13 Sir Tom Jones £170m

14= Olivia and Dhani Harrison £160m

14= Jamie Palumbo £160m

16 Sir Tim Rice £155m

17= Eric Clapton £140m

17= Phil Collins £140m

17= Ringo Starr £140m

20 David and Victoria Beckham £125m

21= Robert Bourne and Sally Green £120m

21= David Bowie £120m

21= Barry and Robin Gibb £120m

21= Rod Stewart £120m

25 Simon Cowell £112m

26= Roger Ames £110m

26= Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne £110m

28 Robbie Williams £105m

29= Chris Blackwell £100m

29=Charlie Watts £100m

31= George Michael £95m

31= Roger Waters £95m

33 David Gilmour £85m

34= Moya Doherty and John McGolgan £80m

34= Robert Plant £80m

36 Engelbert Humperdinck £79m

37= Brian May £75m

37= Jimmy Page £75m

39= Mark Knopfler £70m

39= Roger Taylor £70m

39= Chris Wright £70m

42 John Deacon £65m

43 Judy Craymer £58m

44= Nick Mason £55m

44= Van Morrison £55m

46 Sir Cliff Richard £50m

47= Noel and Liam Gallagher £45m

47= Bernie Taupin £45m

47= Prince Rupert Loewenstein £45m

50 Mick Hucknall £42m

Taken from The Sunday Times Rich List

Friday, 25 April 2008

As part of its annual Sunday Times Rich List, The Sunday Times has produced a top 50 chart of Britain's wealthiest music millionaires (in addition to the Young Music Millionaire's list) which includes performers, producers and record company owners.

The list sees Sir Paul McCartney valued at £500m despite the fact that reports from his recent divorce hearing said he was worth £400m.

Guy Hands, who bought EMI for £2.4bn, is the top new entry in the list with £250m and seventh place.

Chris Blackwell, the London-born founder of Island Records, is another new entry with £100m.

1 Clive Calder £1,300m

2 Lord Lloyd-Webber £750m

3 Sir Paul McCartney £500m

4= Simon Fuller £450m

4= Sir Cameron Mackintosh £450m

6 Madonna and Guy Ritchie £300m

7 Guy and Julia Hands £250m

8 Sir Elton John £235m

9 Sir Mick Jagger £225m

10 Robert Stigwood £212m

11 Sting £200m

12 Keith Richards £190m

13 Sir Tom Jones £170m

14= Olivia and Dhani Harrison £160m

14= Jamie Palumbo £160m

16 Sir Tim Rice £155m

17= Eric Clapton £140m

17= Phil Collins £140m

17= Ringo Starr £140m

20 David and Victoria Beckham £125m

21= Robert Bourne and Sally Green £120m

21= David Bowie £120m

21= Barry and Robin Gibb £120m

21= Rod Stewart £120m

25 Simon Cowell £112m

26= Roger Ames £110m

26= Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne £110m

28 Robbie Williams £105m

29= Chris Blackwell £100m

29=Charlie Watts £100m

31= George Michael £95m

31= Roger Waters £95m

33 David Gilmour £85m

34= Moya Doherty and John McGolgan £80m

34= Robert Plant £80m

36 Engelbert Humperdinck £79m

37= Brian May £75m

37= Jimmy Page £75m

39= Mark Knopfler £70m

39= Roger Taylor £70m

39= Chris Wright £70m

42 John Deacon £65m

43 Judy Craymer £58m

44= Nick Mason £55m

44= Van Morrison £55m

46 Sir Cliff Richard £50m

47= Noel and Liam Gallagher £45m

47= Bernie Taupin £45m

47= Prince Rupert Loewenstein £45m

50 Mick Hucknall £42m

Taken from The Sunday Times Rich List

Thats really interesting .!It seems strange/hard to believe that led zepplin members are not very high on the list considering there record sales are amongst the top 3 all time sales figures and to think that Engelbert Humperdinck £79m (jimmy page and john paul jones were the session players for his biggest hits)If you listen to "after the lovin" it sounds like a bass played by jpj in the intro?

I don't think it is very accurate. That estimation (of Page and Plant) has been the same since 1996.

Regardless, I find it interesting that JP is lower on the list than RP. Perhaps he's no longer "Led Wallet"?

I don't think it is very accurate. That estimation (of Page and Plant) has been the same since 1996.

Not really, the 2004 list had Plant and Page at £45m

Not sure about their evaluation of Paul McCartney though. Last year they estimated him at £725m. How could he have lost £225m in one year?

Heather Mills.

She only got £16m in cash out of him. After they left court she said that the judge said he was only worth £400m but that "everybody knows he's worth at least £800m" and I'm inclined to believe her.

I guess it depends on if you know how to save your money or have made wise investments or not. David Bowie in the late 1990's had some sort of unheard of stock deal that was hot shit for about fifteen minutes and he made one billion U.S. dollars off of it so where in the hell did his empire go, huh? And how about it for Queen, huh? What's that Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon all up in there! That's kewl fo' sho'!

I guess it depends on if you know how to save your money or have made wise investments or not. David Bowie in the late 1990's had some sort of unheard of stock deal that was hot shit for about fifteen minutes and he made one billion U.S. dollars off of it so where in the hell did his empire go, huh? And how about it for Queen, huh? What's that Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon all up in there! That's kewl fo' sho'!

Yeah Bowie made a deal in the 90's, where, I believe, people could buy stocks and shares in his future music, and, I don't know if he made a billion off it, I thought it was more like $30million

But I have to say, I don't know how good the dividends were off those shares...

She only got £16m in cash out of him. After they left court she said that the judge said he was only worth £400m but that "everybody knows he's worth at least £800m" and I'm inclined to believe her.

She may have received more in non-cash assets. I had thought Andrew Lloyd Weber was the only British musician worth over a billion US dollars but perhaps McCartney

has eclipsed that mark as well, particularly as the dollar continues to be devalued.

Oh no Bowie made a billion U.S. dollars off of the deal it is just that after HE made that dough it was then discovered that it was a bad deal but he had alread made the money...and it was all legal too! Lol! It never made any sense to me to buy stock in something that did not exist yet. Of course I don't know anything. I can only do things like dress myself and pour cereal so don't hold me credible for anything!

She may have received more in non-cash assets. I had thought Andrew Lloyd Weber was the only British musician worth over a billion US dollars but perhaps McCartney

has eclipsed that mark as well, particularly as the dollar continues to be devalued.

yeah she did receive non cash settlements, but the whole divorce package didn't go over £30million.

I mean in 2007, when the Times valued Paul at £725 million, -they- even said that he's probably worth more than that, but they had conservatively estimated £725m in anticipation of money taken out for the divorce...then in just one year to drop the estimate down to £500m doesn't make sense.

This may be naive and I'm sure I'll be put straight by all the 'realists' here, but don't most[if not all] of these people pay other people to make sure it's difficult to know for sure just how much they're worth?This may go some way to explaining the appearance of Prince Rupert Von Lowenstein towards the end of the list. Not sure how many big shows he's played.. anyone with a cd or whatever by him,let me know... Isn't there a disclaimer on these lists which essentially amounts to 'Look,we're guessing, albeit in a fairly intelligent way, but this is really just guesswork'?

Oh no Bowie made a billion U.S. dollars off of the deal it is just that after HE made that dough it was then discovered that it was a bad deal but he had alread made the money...and it was all legal too! Lol! It never made any sense to me to buy stock in something that did not exist yet. Of course I don't know anything. I can only do things like dress myself and pour cereal so don't hold me credible for anything!

No way did Bowie make a billion dollars off one deal. That's ludicrous. It was 55 million dollars. Just Google "Bowie Bonds"

Right you may be right about the bonds worth with Bowie but I thought that he made most of his money head over heals with that deal. This article is old from 2002 but this was the period I understood that Bowie had his wealth of around one billion U.S. dollars. This article stated his worth at the time halfways down... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/showbiz/1745647.stm

Right you may be right about the bonds worth with Bowie but I thought that he made most of his money head over heals with that deal. This article is old from 2002 but this was the period I understood that Bowie had his wealth of around one billion U.S. dollars. This article stated his worth at the time halfways down... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/showbiz/1745647.stm

Yes, it's just that the BBC and others got it wrong at the time. They grossly overestimated his wealth...due to not understanding (or not bothering to look at the details of ) the Bowie Bonds deal.

It was a ten year deal for which he got 55 million dollars...I expect someone in the media just went hmmmm 10 times 55 million is £550 million....a much better headline. Print it enough times it becomes "fact" .

Yes, it's just that the BBC and others got it wrong at the time. They grossly overestimated his wealth...due to not understanding (or not bothering to look at the details of ) the Bowie Bonds deal.

It was a ten year deal for which he got 55 million dollars...I expect someone in the media just went hmmmm 10 times 55 million is £550 million....a much better headline. Print it enough times it becomes "fact" .

Yeah I knew it wasn't a billion, that was the figure bandied around at the time by the media, but I had read that the more realistic figure was £30 million, which makes a bit more sense

Archived