Plant's auto accident

danelectro59

I know it was in Summer/75 and he sustained serious injuries, had to cancel tour dates and record Presence in a wheelchair.

Not to be morbid, but does anyone have details about this. I've heard several different versions.

And how many tour dates did they lose.

Thanks.

The accident happened on August 4th, several months after Earl's Court. Maureen was driving on the Greek island of Rhodes and the car went off the road. Opinions differ, but as they'd just toured America and returned to the UK, I would think Europe, Japan and Australia may have been on the table. Anyone feel free to correct me, I've been out of the hardcore loop for awhile! ;)

Led Zeppelin was scheduled to tour the U.S. again later that summer and fall,

including shows at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena and the Day on the Green shows

in San Francisco, when Plant's accident forced the cancellation of the tour.

If you remember, the first leg of the tour in early 1975 didn't hit the Bay Area

at all, a weird thing considering that San Francisco was one of Led Zeppelin's

strongholds.

They were due to play in Oz sometime between January & March (Summer / Autumn) '76.

I was all cashed up and everything!

Yeah, I had my deposits down for LA 1981. But I really can't complain when compared to the loss they suffered. I was just (and still am) only a fan. Just a fan. It's like what Plant's dad said when Karac died, "What's all this fame when compared to the loss of child?". Or whatever the quote is. I feel foul being so greedy. I guess that's why I get my back up when people say Robert "owes us a tour". Come on. Be glad the muse still moves him. Partake in his joy.

Thanks for the clarification Strider! And nice to see you again! It has been awhile, hasn't it? Cheers, mate! :beer:

Thanks and cheers back at ya! Didn't know anybody would even remember me from the

old board, let alone be glad to know I am still here. I've never been a frequent poster...then

or now.

But I pop in when I can....usually to check on any new Zep bootleg info(upgrades, new

shows, etc.), and if there is any info this Zep concert veteran can impart to the board,

I try to post it if I have the knowledge.

Roughly ten days of rehearsals in France to begin on Aug 8th were cancelled.

Thirty-three North American concerts in Aug & Sep were cancelled.

Nov 5th at Uusi Messuhalli in Helsinki, Finland was cancelled.

They intended to tour Scandanavia in November and South America at the end of the year

(or perhaps in early 1976 for tax purposes). No other dates or venues for these two tours were confirmed at the time of the accident.

Roughly ten days of rehearsals in France to begin on Aug 8th were cancelled.

Thirty-three North American concerts in Aug & Sep were cancelled.

Nov 5th at Uusi Messuhalli in Helsinki, Finland was cancelled.

They intended to tour Scandanavia in November and South America at the end of the year

(or perhaps in early 1976 for tax purposes). No other dates or venues for these two tours were confirmed at the time of the accident.

Thanks. After further investgating, i found out that he broke his ankle and that his wife was critically injured and needed blood transfusions.

Yeah, I had my deposits down for LA 1981. But I really can't complain when compared to the loss they suffered. I was just (and still am) only a fan. Just a fan. It's like what Plant's dad said when Karac died, "What's all this fame when compared to the loss of child?". Or whatever the quote is. I feel foul being so greedy. I guess that's why I get my back up when people say Robert "owes us a tour". Come on. Be glad the muse still moves him. Partake in his joy.

And yet another reason why your my favorite poster here.....cheers

two of my older brothers were going to go to one of the Chicago shows...(I had only turned 10) I still remember that day like it was yesterday. my brothers friend who was a guitar player came to the door and said to me "he's dead man,he was the man and now he's dead" and I said who Dick The Bruiser? (he was a god in Chicago) and he said "NO DUMMIE! John Bonham is dead!"...terrible he was so young.

Archived