Most difficult/challenging song they performed live?

jesusmurphy

My choice would probably be "Ten Years Gone"...awesome song, but it seemed to be a struggle for Zeppelin to put across live. Or maybe it was just their arrangement of it. Over ambitious? I mean, the triple neck/bass pedals combo was a good idea, but IMO I would rather have seen JPJ playing his bass. Under rehearsed? The OK City/Chicago renditions are pretty rough...

The performance of TYG at any given '77/'79 show is a good litmus test for the overall show, I'd say. If Page was on the ball (and didn't blow the solos, for example) and the band was into the song that night, it was usually a good show. Then there's performances such as the first Oakland show (23 July/77)...what the hell kind of solo was THAT???? Makes you kind of glad the Tempe TYG isn't in circulation...

Yeah, Jimmy didn't have a good solo on that song until '96 in Japan. That certainly is a good choice IMO for most challenging with Jonesy playing the triple neck and the bass pedals. I don't know if you are a musician, but I would be interested in hearing what some of the guys that I know are have to say.

^^^^^

As a matter of fact, I've been playing guitar, bass and drums for damn near twenty years now (Christ I feel old some days), and there's nothing I like better (aside from recording my own music, of course) than throwing on an old Zeppelin show and playing along with it. Better 'n practicing scales, I'd say. What's surprising, at first, is how some of their songs -"Achilles Last Stand" immediately comes to mind- are actually a hell of a lot easier to play than you'd think. Especially nice and clean and sober...which only goes to show the extremely detrimental effect Page's Banana Dacquiri/heroin/cocaine/Marlboro diet had on his playing AND performance.

I wouldn't put Ten Years Gone on a list of "difficult/challenging to play". I think the performances in 77 speak more to preparation, or perhaps lack thereof. Black Dog, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Achilles' Last Stand, hell, even the changes on SIBLY can twist your brain into a frazzle if you don't feel the moments! But Ten Years Gone? A walk in the park musically.

And while I'm thinking about it, what the hell is the count during the verse of Misty Mountain Hop? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15, "Whaddaya, whaddaya think I saw?" Oh yeah, the down beat is when Jimmy gives Bonzo "the nod". I exaggerate, but really. Ten Years Gone? :huh:

Kashmir

I can see that in some ways. Although I think the sound is natural Led Zeppelin. Especially with the guitars and vocals. But the drums aren't easy and neither is playing the Mandolin/Bass at the same time. But if you go by those standards Stairway isn't easy to play either.

Agreed. I've heard more screwups in this song than any other they perform together. And my vote goes to White Summer for the most mistakes as a solo outing.

It's beyond me why page every thought of playing white summer from 77-80?? not only was it a total borefest but he played it like some teenager who was in his third year of lessons.

as far as ten years gone goes....believe it or not one of the best versions ever, in my opinion, is from copenhagen 24th/1979 nite. actually that entire show is one of their best between 77-80.

I have to admit Kashmir is a challenge. Not that any specific part is difficult to play, but it can be a bitch remembering how many times to do the descending part after each verse. There always seems to be one more! :lol:

Based what I have heard ALS is most difficult. No bootlegs to compare, saw them on a good night in '77---Kashmir was the highlight IMO. ALS was solid and spirited--nothing wrong with it, it just could have used a fuller sound to it.

On the DVD I like Kashmir, but ALS was less than great---but I think it was the only version they had to work with.

Agreed. I've heard more screwups in this song than any other they perform together. And my vote goes to White Summer for the most mistakes as a solo outing.

That's why I said it :D ...I don't play music so i have no idea what is hard and what isn't. but the band as a whole always screwed that one up..

ALS sure looked like a real basterd to play.

Archived