Robert plants voice.

I read in a book on Led zeppelin ;quite a few years ago; about Roberts voice being compared to a woman that used to sing in the air raid shelters and she had been really poplar in clubs during the 2 world war .The book did mention her name ;but I've never been able to find that paragraph ;with the womans name again .can anyone help.?

I read in a book on Led zeppelin ;quite a few years ago; about Roberts voice being compared to a woman that used to sing in the air raid shelters and she had been really poplar in clubs during the 2 world war .The book did mention her name ;but I've never been able to find that paragraph ;with the womans name again .can anyone help.?

Petula Clark

Variety

August 28, 1975

Petula Clark, brightly packaged, has accepted good advice, changed her nitery approach, and blossoms better than ever.

Clark herself both plays on British background and mocks it, with tributes to London, memories of music shared in war air raid shelters, and determination to be all demure and proper.

www.petulaclark.net

When you're alone

And life is making you lonely,

You can always go Downtown

I'm pretty sure his voice has been compared to the air raid sirens as well.

Actually, I believe those were the actual words used when Aerosmith introduced Led Zeppelin at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction in 1995. Seriously!

I'm pretty sure his voice has been compared to the air raid sirens as well.

Ok; I can see the sarcasms and jokes in the question ! but this was a true account of a woman in the 1940s that shared the same vocal style /range of Robert plant.I just wanted to know if anyone could help so i could try and locate a copy(download) of her voice and style to compare with Robert plants.cheers.

popular in nightclubs during world war 2?

It was war time; kids got an early start.

2/4/49 The Rhubarb Room (BBC) Series regular. Slightly satirical series supposedly set in a seedy nightclub.

www.petulaclark.net/radio

Maybe it was Adelaide Hall.

It was during one of London's heaviest Luftwaffe raids, which sent most of the capital's population scurrying to the safety of underground shelters, that Adelaide stood to her guns and braved the screaming bombs and incessant bursts of anti-air-craft machine gun fire to continue entertaining the public. She was starring at Lewisham's Hippodrome when, in the middle of her act the air-raid siren sounded. Adelaide immediately stopped her performance and walked to the front of the stage to ask the packed audience if anyone would like to leave the theater. Only a handful of patrons took up her offer, the rest remained seated. For the next four hours, with bombs exploding outside the building, Adelaide entertained the audience by singing over fifty songs, right up until the all clear sounded at 03:45 a.m. The following morning, her piano accompanist, Gerry Moore, commented that his fingers ached so much from playing that he could hardly move his hands. Though Adelaide could barely speak, in defiant mood she returned to the Hippodrome stage the following evening to perform her act as scheduled.

"Whilst sirens shrieked and bombs dropped in nightly German air-raids, Adelaide Hall, American Broadway star, carried on unstirred in the grand aged tradition of the theatre with her act, which has made her hugely popular with London audiences. Returning again and again to the stage of the South London house where she is currently featured, Miss Hall encored with 52 songs, ranging from 'Dinah' to 'Solitude', on the night of the longest and most insistent raid London has so far received." ANP News.

www.wartimememories.co.uk/women

Marlene Dietrich?

Robert Plant physically resembles Marlene Dietrich.

163116655_898776.gif163083421_292210.gif163124656_250.gif

Marlene Dietrich (1901-1992), American actor and singer of German descent. She was born Maria Magdalene Dietrich von Losch in Berlin, and trained for the stage at the school of the noted theatrical director Max Reinhardt. During the 1920s she became an important performer in the Berlin theater and in silent films. In 1924 she married the German film casting director Rudolf Sieber.

American film director Josef von Sternberg cast her in the leading female role of The Blue Angel, filmed in Berlin during 1929 and 1930, in both German and English versions. Her haunting and sensuous singing and acting in this film created a sensation. As a result, Dietrich was brought to the United States, where she starred in a series of films under von Sternberg’s direction, including Morocco (1930) and The Devil Is a Woman (1935). For other directors she appeared in Desire (1936) and Destry Rides Again (1939).

encarta.msn.com

i'll be damned. found this, too:

petulaclark.net

Born November 15, with "a voice as sweet as chapel bells," Petula Clark first broke into the limelight during World War II when as a child she entertained the troops, both on radio and in concert. She is said to have performed in over 200 shows for the forces all over England before the age of nine and by war's end, Petula Clark--the British "Shirley Temple" who had come to represent childhood itself--was so popular in England she was asked to sing at a national victory celebration at Trafalgar Square. In 1944, Petula made her first movie and has since appeared in over 30 British and American films.

thanks, EL. very interesting reading. i think you're probably right.

Archived