AC/DC to sell new album through Wal-Mart

AC/DC to sell new album through Wal-Mart

Sun Jun 8, 2008 8:52pm EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Rock band AC/DC will sell its new album only through Wal-Mart Stores Inc, the Wall Street Journal reported on its website on Sunday, citing unnamed sources .

The AC/DC album is expected to come out in the fall, the paper reported. Wal-Mart did not have an immediate comment.

Weird marketing plan. I don't think this has worked well for other artists, KISS did the DVD exclusive to different retailers and it was a pain. I have a tough time believing AC\DC will limit something as important as a long overdue new album to one retailer. However demand will be high since they haven't put out new material in long time. Even then Walmart isn't known for being rock band friendly with all the censorship and crap they have siad about bands in the past.

:angry:

I wish AC/DC would get with the digital age.

I really hate going to walmart.

I donno though. The Eagles~Long Road out of Eden was at first released though Wallyworld and has since been made available online.

:angry:

I wish AC/DC would get with the digital age.

I really hate going to walmart.

I donno though. The Eagles~Long Road out of Eden was at first released though Wallyworld and has since been made available online.

According to what I've read local retailers also went into Wal-Mart and purchased copies of Long Road Out of Eden to sell in their own stores.

WTF!

How do we actually go backwards in terms of music availability? <_<

I can hack MP3's with some music, but not all.

Not that I'll probably be needing the new AC/DC stuff.....

AC/DC is one of a handful of rock bands that have held out against MP3 downloads.

LZ was among them until very recently.

I think that maybe because AC/DC has eliminated the middle man, the distributer, they make more profit from CD sales through Walmart.

That is just my guess though. I could be wrong.

Weird marketing plan. I don't think this has worked well for other artists, KISS did the DVD exclusive to different retailers and it was a pain. I have a tough time believing AC\DC will limit something as important as a long overdue new album to one retailer. However demand will be high since they haven't put out new material in long time. Even then Walmart isn't known for being rock band friendly with all the censorship and crap they have siad about bands in the past.

The Eagles album that was sold at WalMart is one of the best selling records of recent times. Smart plan, really, when you think about it. Now Best Buy and all the rest will just go to Wal Mart to buy the copies that they need, registering sales for them.

Why do you hate mp3's?

I don't know why MontanaBound hates mp3s but I can tell you why I do. While they may be convenient for iPods and the like (which I have nothing against) the compressed format has now become the norm so it's most likely the industry will choose mp3s as the across the board industry standard when it comes to sound files. As a music fan, I absolutely do NOT want to see that happen. Mp3s may be fine for the iPod and similar portable listening devices but that format as the only format available is just plain wrong. Uncompressed files is the way to go. Unfortunately the market seems to be driven by the casual music listener, not avid music fans like you usually find on boards such as this. Therein lies the danger of mp3s becoming so popular. It was bad enough back in the 80s when compact discs were forced upon us by the industry but the mp3 format is even fucking worse.

I don't know why MontanaBound hates mp3s but I can tell you why I do. While they may be convenient for iPods and the like (which I have nothing against) the compressed format has now become the norm so it's most likely the industry will choose mp3s as the across the board industry standard when it comes to sound files. As a music fan, I absolutely do NOT want to see that happen. Mp3s may be fine for the iPod and similar portable listening devices but that format as the only format available is just plain wrong. Uncompressed files is the way to go. Unfortunately the market seems to be driven by the casual music listener, not avid music fans like you usually find on boards such as this. Therein lies the danger of mp3s becoming so popular. It was bad enough back in the 80s when compact discs were forced upon us by the industry but the mp3 format is even fucking worse.

Huh. I had no idea that mp3's were so inferior.

Agreed on most points.

If you can switch between MP3 and CD sources playing the same song, it's impossible not to feel slighted by MP3.

Not making it available on iTunes is one thing, but making it available ONLY at Wal-Mart is another. Way to continue the cycle of small businesses getting put out of businesses by P.O.S. super-corporations. Here's one sale they'll be missing out on... Even if it wasn't against my principles, there's no way you'll get me to set foot in Scum-Mart. You can call me an elitist, but hell, I know rednecks who won't shop there.

For a quick diagram on mp3 quality vs. cd quality.

mp3 is generally 128 kilobits a second for the sampling rate. Some are 192kbps and fewer still are 320kbps. WMA is even worse at 64kbps. Compare that with a bitrate of 1411kbps for cd quality.

The standard mp3 format has only 1/11th of the amount of information. over 90% of the information is taken away from what has been the digital standard of cd's. It's a horrible thing that's going on to anyone who cares about musical sound quality.

It all depends on the source for your mp3 downloads. I have a lot of 192 kbps and 320 kbps. Higher if you rip songs off of studio CD's.

I know that studio CD's sound much better then mp3's, but carrying around a few hundred CD's in the car isn't very practical.

It's much easier to rip some mp3's to a flash drive and go.

Most people i know don't have a 5.1 dolby surround sound stereo system in their homes or car as well.

Sure. I'd love to have the best sound quality but it's better then 8 tracks or cassettes.

Not making it available on iTunes is one thing, but making it available ONLY at Wal-Mart is another.

I already mentioned this but I'll mention it again. If it's anything like the Eagles album (that was also an "exclusive" to Wal-Mart) local retailers will purchase copies from Wal-Mart to sell in their own stores.

Lucky you! And coming from the land of AC/DC, like me, I'm sure you want to see this album somewhere! We don't have Wal Mart, so that must just be for the US. People wonder why CD sales are declining, because we cannot buy the CDs from where we want to shop. They'd be nuts not sell the CD format through online stores like Amazon.

hi gibson girl, yeah i met them before they wre really big, in 1975 in fact! they played at my little town and hardly anyone came. just a few of my friends and little old me. well they played really well. we felt sorry for them, and they let us come backstage. my boyfriend was a guitarist so he and angus had a good long talk, i was a bit gobsmacked. they were really nice guys. i was only 13 and angus i think was about 18 . i remember him as very cheeky, but not rude. nice memory. :D

• 1 month later...

An interesting article about AC/DC and their Wal-Mart thingie.

Rock'n'roll damnation - Wal-Mart style

AC/DC are the latest band to sell their album exclusively in Wal-Mart. Are they helping to sell rock down the river?

ACDCbrianangus460.jpg

Back in 1979, AC/DC managed to shock America's religious right with a song so delicious that no normal person could possibly resist it. Highway To Hell still makes the shortlist for both the world's greatest riff and most irresistible chorus. The album that spawned it displayed "schoolboy" guitarist Angus Young sporting horns and a tail. Not amused, the barmy armies of the Bible Belt burned the LP in the streets.

Twenty-nine years later, AC/DC might actually be on their way to Hell. The group have revealed that their forthcoming album will be available in the US only at branches of Wal-Mart. No independent record shop will carry the CD - in fact, no shop at all will sell it. The only place the thing will be available is at an outlet that is the very enemy of music itself.

If you don't know, Wal-Mart is a chain of stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap megastores, often found on the outskirts of US towns and cities. The company has a litany of employment-right lawsuits stacked against it, and their stores are usually surrounded by high streets, deserted by businesses that could no longer afford to compete with the chain's cheap prices.

You could say that this is just business, but if you do plan to defend Wal-Mart, you need to first wrestle with their music policy. The company refuses to carry any album that features a parental advisory sticker denoting explicit content. The chain will stock "clean" versions of albums, which means either bleeping or fading out "offensive" words. If you find "censorship" to be an offensive word, tough shit luck.

It's disgraceful that a company neck-deep in questionable business practices dares to take a stance on artistic morality. But what's really amazing is that AC/DC should choose to be party to it. They don't need the money - with 22 million copies sold, Back in Black is the fifth best selling album in US chart history - and they don't need the exposure.

That a band who once sang For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) should now sell their fellow artists down the river denotes a very cold day on the highway to hell.

Source