Robert Plant

zooma

I am very conflicted because I love alot of what Robert has done post Zeppelin, but I can't help but think about how great Zeppelin could be today. Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are the most gifted musicians and songwriters of this generation and I truly believe they all could still make great music together, but Robert is a mystery to me. He has done his greatest work with these two men and having Jason Bonham with them is an added bonus. I know Robert has stated his aversion to a Stones type stadium tour doing the songs of 30 years ago, and I don't blame him. Living off of yesterdays glories is not really living for today. Alot of the blame has to go to the so called fans who only want to hear the classics and not anything new. When Page and Plant were supporting their Clarksdale cd it was very sad to see hundreds of people walking to the beer lines, bathrooms etc whenever they played something new. I think Robert, JP, and JPJ could do something special again and I think they should at least try. I don't really understand how Robert can sing old bluegrass songs with Allison and think think it's moving forward. I enjoy Raising Sand and Dreamland, and love Mighty Reaaranger but can only think if Jimmy and John Paul Jones were involved they might might make magic again.

Maybe exploring music from the past is moving forward for him. Often, the exploration leads to new insights and causes musicians to move on into new territory. If you think about it, alot of LZ creativity moved on into new music which was based on music from the past.

Maybe exploring music from the past is moving forward for him. Often, the exploration leads to new insights and causes musicians to move on into new territory. If you think about it, alot of LZ creativity moved on into new music which was based on music from the past.

Very true, but Robert did Dreamland as a look into the past. Why not look at two of his former partners from his own legendary past to a way forward?

It's still doing songs from a past generation just like Dreamland, and I don't understand how thats moving forward.

I think it's moving forward in the sense of Robert doing something in a completely new and different direction. This is an area he's not explored before and the fact the songs are old doesn't make it for him, going backwards. He's stated many times in the last couple of years, at this point in his time and career, it's got to move him and be something challenging or he sees no point. So this moves and challenges him right now.

If you follow the evolutionary path of Robert the solo artist, there's something that always sticks out: His infatuation with cover songs as a break to one phase of his musical career. To wit:

Phase 1

1982 Pictures at Eleven

1983 The Principle of Moments

1984 The Honeydrippers: Volume One (cover songs)

Phase 2

1985 Shaken 'n' Stirred

1988 Now and Zen

1990 Manic Nirvana

1993 Fate of Nations

1994 No Quarter: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Unledded (technically, cover songs)

Phase 3

1998 Walking into Clarksdale

2002 Dreamland (mostly cover songs)

Phase 4

2005 Mighty Rearranger

2007 Raising Sand (cover songs)

It's a very distinct demarcation in my eyes that, each time he reworks old tunes, Robert tends to wander away pretty quickly with new ideas. Perhaps this means he will pursue another solo venture, perhaps it's a setup to return to working with JP and JPJ, perhaps he truly is comfortable with this very eclectic thing he is involved with right now. Who's to say, really?

If you follow the evolutionary path of Robert the solo artist, there's something that always sticks out: His infatuation with cover songs as a break to one phase of his musical career. To wit:

Phase 1

1982 Pictures at Eleven

1983 The Principle of Moments

1984 The Honeydrippers: Volume One (cover songs)

Phase 2

1985 Shaken 'n' Stirred

1988 Now and Zen

1990 Manic Nirvana

1993 Fate of Nations

1994 No Quarter: Jimmy Page and Robert Plant Unledded (technically, cover songs)

Phase 3

1998 Walking into Clarksdale

2002 Dreamland (mostly cover songs)

Phase 4

2005 Mighty Rearranger

2007 Raising Sand (cover songs)

It's a very distinct demarcation in my eyes that, each time he reworks old tunes, Robert tends to wander away pretty quickly with new ideas. Perhaps this means he will pursue another solo venture, perhaps it's a setup to return to working with JP and JPJ, perhaps he truly is comfortable with this very eclectic thing he is involved with right now. Who's to say, really?

He didn't walk away that far from Dreamland to Raising Sand. Only one album in between. Robert has been obsessed with doing old songs that he happens to love. I hope that he has it in him to make new music as well, no matter who he does it with. My choice would be JP and JPJ, what Robert chooses is anyones guess.

That's a good way of looking at it.

If Robert wants to "move forward" I have a idea to keep most everyone happy. Play with Jimmy, John and Jason as Led Zeppelin Play some of the classic zep that he has been playing for years now and throw in some Zeppelin that was NEVER played before like they did with for your life at the O2 show. This may keep RP happy playing some different material and the rest of the world happy hearing Led Zeppelin. I Am not sure what songs were never played before by the band but I have saw lists on this forum before. It would also depend on what songs RP can still sing. Just a thought but it could be a nice compromise :D:D:D

He didn't walk away that far from Dreamland to Raising Sand. Only one album in between. Robert has been obsessed with doing old songs that he happens to love. I hope that he has it in him to make new music as well, no matter who he does it with. My choice would be JP and JPJ, what Robert chooses is anyones guess.

I would suspect he'll make a record of new songs after this. I'd like to see another Strange Sensation record. The thing that stands out with the three albums of cover songs is that they were not just redone as the original version, which is so often what artists do. He reinterpreted them and made them almost as if he penned them originally. I think that's why those albums work well.

I think most people in this forum would wish that he would make new music with his old bandmates, but perhaps easier said than done. Finding a new musical direction that not only inspires a musician is difficult enough - but imagine trying to use that inspiration to create something totally new. I think many of us underestimate just how difficult this can be to achieve. Just because a person may have the wish to write new music and lyrics doesn't mean that it just comes automatically.

I think it is difficult to create music that is considered relevant today. The music business and fans can be very fickle, what is hot today becomes passe tomorrow. The environment of the music business itself is not very inspiring. Whether Robert decides to go his own way or reunite with JP and JPJ, the mechanics of creating something new will not be easy.

I would suspect he'll make a record of new songs after this. I'd like to see another Strange Sensation record. The thing that stands out with the three albums of cover songs is that they were not just redone as the original version, which is so often what artists do. He reinterpreted them and made them almost as if he penned them originally. I think that's why those albums work well.

If He worked with musicians that had the vision to take one element of a previous song and make it their own, as Zeppelin sometimes did I would accept that as being somewhat original. Robert is doing cover songs these days no matter how obscure. My hope is that Jimmy and JPJ could make material compelling enough for Robert to be interested enough to add something. Unledded and Clarksdale had their moments but were lacking the underestimated contribution of John Paul Jones. The man has only gotten better with time and should not be overlooked anymore. If Robert Plant has anything left to contribute I'd like to see him do it with the greatest collaborators he ever had. I wonder if his desire to have total creative control has limited his creativity.

I think most people in this forum would wish that he would make new music with his old bandmates, but perhaps easier said than done. Finding a new musical direction that not only inspires a musician is difficult enough - but imagine trying to use that inspiration to create something totally new. I think many of us underestimate just how difficult this can be to achieve. Just because a person may have the wish to write new music and lyrics doesn't mean that it just comes automatically.

I think it is difficult to create music that is considered relevant today. The music business and fans can be very fickle, what is hot today becomes passe tomorrow. The environment of the music business itself is not very inspiring. Whether Robert decides to go his own way or reunite with JP and JPJ, the mechanics of creating something new will not be easy.

I totally agree with you.

I don't think he will keep doing this American roots music forever. He is too much of an explorer, musically. Always looking for something new to capture his interest. Who knows whats next? I'm sure even he doesnt know.

This past weekend, I was in a flea market looking at albums. There was one called "Songs from the Tyrol" It had some people wearing Barvarian hats, kicking up their heels on the cover. I thought about Robert Plant and his musical exploration. Then I realized this music was probably something like polka. :huh: I put the album back in the stack and didnt think about it again until I saw this thread. :D

If Zeppelin were to make new music I don't think they would have any problem being relevant. Atlantic records/Time Warner who are their label would put all of their resources towards marketing them. Except for The Beatles, Zeppelin is the biggest band ever to sell records. The real question is, could the band make good enough music again to go under the name Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page, who has always made sure any album bearing the Zeppelin name has always been their best is still in control of that. The burden would be on him to make sure that any new Zeppelin would be the very best they could do. If it does not please every one, and it wouldn't, too bad for them.

I totally agree with you.

I don't think he will keep doing this American roots music forever. He is too much of an explorer, musically. Always looking for something new to capture his interest. Who knows whats next? I'm sure even he doesnt know.

This past weekend, I was in a flea market looking at albums. There was one called "Songs from the Tyrol" It had some people wearing Barvarian hats, kicking up their heels on the cover. I thought about Robert Plant and his musical exploration. Then I realized this music was probably something like polka. :huh: I put the album back in the stack and didnt think about it again until I saw this thread. :D

Well Maven, I hope RP's next project doesn't have a pic of him wearing a Bavarian hat, kicking up his heels!

:D:D

If Zeppelin were to make new music I don't think they would have any problem being relevant. Atlantic records/Time Warner who are their label would put all of their resources towards marketing them. Except for The Beatles, Zeppelin is the biggest band ever to sell records. The real question is , could the band make good enough music again to go under the name Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page, who has always made sure any album bearing the Zeppelin name has always been their best is still in control of that. The burden would be on him to make sure that any new Zeppelin would be the very best they could do. If it does not please every one, and it wouldn't, too bad for them.

Zooma, you make a good point by saying, "the real question is, could the band make good enough music again to go under the name Led Zeppelin." This goes back to what I was trying to say in my previous post, it's a huge undertaking and we often overlook the fact that this is most likely a major consideration for them as well. They can't just say, "alright, let's get to it." Just because they have the idea to carry on doesn't mean that things will evolve into new music that is up to their standards.

:lol: Only if he is naked.

Urmmm.... don't we already have a pic circulating the forums of him "kicking up his heels, naked?"

You know, Knebworth! Alright, half naked, but I would say - the more interesting half of him is naked.

:D

Urmmm.... don't we already have a pic circulating the forums of him "kicking up his heels, naked?"

You know, Knebworth! Alright, half naked, but I would say - the more interesting half of him is naked.

:D

I know the pic you're talking about. Thought about it right after I posted. Did'nt know it was on this forum though. Think I'll get a copy of it and photoshop a Bavarian hat on his head. :D

Archived