Is anyone with me?

LedZep1969

You guys will probably like some of Opeth's stuff. Mikael Akerfeldt, the guitarist and lead vocalist is heavily influenced by Jazz and 70s Progressive Rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IzLDT73bkk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLUmqDa25LQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmIDBfuGcU

This band I saw a few months ago open for Opeth...

They're called "3" and they're a Progressive Rock band from Woodstock NY.

http://www.theband3.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXNS7Pcfr_o

They're about 1,000 times better live, I swear. My jaw was dropped through their entire performance, and the songs just got ridiculously better as they played on. I HIGHLY recommend you see them if you ever have the chance.

Another good one, Kyoto Jazz Massive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyMb45Xxg98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI2mfGgetgQ

Jazzanova

In my humble opinion, you're a complete moron if you think there's no good new music being made.

I'm with you, music's not as good now. There are some bands that try to make good rock like what there used to be, but they all end up sounding like they're ripping off older bands. Airbourne is good, not much else. Pop music drives me crazy, its on the radio all the time and people seem to listen to it just because everyone else does. I like metal music but it's mostly very similar. The only radio show I listen to is Nights With Alice Cooper, because it plays all the classic rock music.

A couple more points.

Please do not insist that rap is crap. Chances are 1) you're actually referring to hip hop, 2) you're referring to the mainstream, and 3) you're just reinforcing your own pre-determined narrow mindedness towards a whole genre of music, in which, yes, effort and talent actually are present.

Screw bringing "rock n roll" back. That time has passed, the whole point is that things progress with time. It's just not going to happen. If you want to listen to classic rock, go listen to it. There is absolutely NO point in repeating what was done over 30 years ago, so NOBODY is going to do it. And if someone does (and I'm sure people have tried), EPIC FAIL. They'll make it nowhere. It has already been done.

Don't trick yourself into hoping it will come back. You'll only hinder your openness to new music, and the natural progression of your own musical taste.

There is a point in repeating it, im 13 and I've got loads of mates that would love it to come back.

A couple more points.

Please do not insist that rap is crap. Chances are 1) you're actually referring to hip hop, 2) you're referring to the mainstream, and 3) you're just reinforcing your own pre-determined narrow mindedness towards a whole genre of music, in which, yes, effort and talent actually are present.

Screw bringing "rock n roll" back. That time has passed, the whole point is that things progress with time. It's just not going to happen. If you want to listen to classic rock, go listen to it. There is absolutely NO point in repeating what was done over 30 years ago, so NOBODY is going to do it. And if someone does (and I'm sure people have tried), EPIC FAIL. They'll make it nowhere. It has already been done.

Don't trick yourself into hoping it will come back. You'll only hinder your openness to new music, and the natural progression of your own musical taste.

There is a point in repeating it, im 13 and I've got loads of mates that would love it to come back.

R-retards

A-attempting

P-poetry

A couple more points.

Dear M

First of all i would like to say again that Rap realy is crap. . . . . This might hurt your feelings but let me ask you. . . . Is it good for kids or Teens to listen to the "music" that is about how good it is to be a gangster and how good it is to be a PIMP. . . . is it good to shoot videos with so much agression in it. . . . Black people runing around waving their guns and sniffing Coce, shooting eachother and smoking MJ. . . . . 2pac and Snoop's time is gone man. . . . . Now even rap is poisoned with hatred. . . . . "Screw bringing "rock n roll" back - if someone does (and I'm sure people have tried), EPIC FAIL" <- are you sure in that??? How bout Foo Fighters, 30 Sec to marce and many others???? Have they finished with the big Fat failure??? I didnt say that we must bring Classic rock back, all im saying is that we must bring the music back, Back to life. . . . It realy is kind of dying out. . . . . . . . . . When I turn the musical Channel instead of hearing J.Lo's weeping, or exibits mumbling I want to hear real music. . . All GOOD new is well forgotten old. . . . . I have nothing against Fat boy slim or Moby, they are the pure development of the music of early ages, they rock. . . . . But there also are fellows like Tiesto or Benny Benassi that realy kill music and musical taste of people of my age and younger. . . . . . This what shoul be stopped this is not developing, no this is nothing but pure slaughterhouse. . . . Believe me. . . Think twice when you say Screw Bringin Old back and when you say that ra is no a crap. . . . . :hippy:

The thing about radio, is that it needs to be "safe". It needs to appeal to the masses. At the same time, it can't offend the companies that advertise on it, for advertising is where you make your money to keep your station up and running. Therefore, you're not going to hear a lot of "risky" stuff. But yeah, like others have said--and I believe THIS is worth repeating--there is good music out there, you just have to search for it. When you love something, you've got to be willing to put out the effort. Ask around. Go to the music store, ask the clerk what they like. Read a music magazine, such as Blender, Metal Edge, Guitar World, REVOLVER, Spin, Uncut, Mojo, etc. etc.

Yes and no.

I used to hate on music from recent times because it was new and lacked the edge of hard rock (what I used to listen to a lot) but I got into different music and started branching out and some bands I never thought I'd enjoy listening to (The White Stripes for example) I now love. I agree, a lot of what's out today does suck, but then again, there's some other stuff (I really enjoyed In Rainbows) that's great. Just steer clear of the same old rap song after another top 20/40 radio stations.

Anybody can be a rapper nowadays. Just now, some guy became a rapper and we'll be seeing a cd by "Lil' Thug" available on MTV for your ringtone. U a sucka 4 nt dwnlding tht on ur phne, fol!

I agree up to a point. There is some good music out there, but not nearly as much as there used to be. I don't think bands are given enough time and encouragement to develop these days and some of the bigger bands lack adventure and diversity. There was an article in the latest 'Classic Rock' magazine putting forward the suggestion that the greatest year in rock was in fact 1973. When you read what was released that year you can appreciate why they came to that conclusion:

January

Free - Heartbreaker, Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill

February

Deep Purple - Who Do You Think We Are, John Martyn - Solid Air

March

Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ, Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon, Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure, Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies, Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy

April

David Bowie - Aladdin Sane, Eagles - Desperado, The Faces - Ooh La La

May

Yes - Yessongs, Wings - Red Rose Speedway, Hawkwind - Space Ritual, Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

June

Aerosmith - Aerosmith, Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power

July

Genesis - Live, Jethro Tull - A Passion Play, Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstacy, Queen - Queen

August

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions, 10cc - 10cc

September

Eric Clapton & Friends - The Rainbow Concert, Status Quo - Hello!, Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Herd, Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup, Neil Young - Time Fades Away, Thin Lizzy - Vagabonds Of The Western World

October

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Genesis - Selling England By The Pound, Steve Miller - The Joker, Lou Reed - Berlin, The Who - Quadrophenia

November

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres, Bruce Springsteen - The Wild The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle, John Lennon - Mind Games, Roxy Music - Stranded

December

Electric Light Orchestra - On The Third Day, Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans, Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Paul McCartney & Wings - Band On The Run, Emerson Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

OK, not everyone will like all those but I wonder how many albums released in 2008 will be looked on in 35 years as classics? Not many I'll bet....

Just b/c its old, doesn't make it classic.

There are alotta classics in there, but a good portion of those are not. I am pretty informed listener, and while I have heard all the bands, there are albums I have never heard of. Granted, I'm no classic rock junkie, so I am sure I would love a few of those you mentioned, but to call them classic is an insult to other classic albums.

I love Zep, but I wouldn't necessarily say something like ITTOD, as much as I LOVE it, is a classic, is an example of what I am talkin about.

Dear M

First of all i would like to say again that Rap realy is crap. . . . . This might hurt your feelings but let me ask you. . . . Is it good for kids or Teens to listen to the "music" that is about how good it is to be a gangster and how good it is to be a PIMP. . . . is it good to shoot videos with so much agression in it. . . . Black people runing around waving their guns and sniffing Coce, shooting eachother and smoking MJ. . . . . 2pac and Snoop's time is gone man. . . . . Now even rap is poisoned with hatred. . . . . "Screw bringing "rock n roll" back - if someone does (and I'm sure people have tried), EPIC FAIL" <- are you sure in that??? How bout Foo Fighters, 30 Sec to marce and many others???? Have they finished with the big Fat failure??? I didnt say that we must bring Classic rock back, all im saying is that we must bring the music back, Back to life. . . . It realy is kind of dying out. . . . . . . . . . When I turn the musical Channel instead of hearing J.Lo's weeping, or exibits mumbling I want to hear real music. . . All GOOD new is well forgotten old. . . . . I have nothing against Fat boy slim or Moby, they are the pure development of the music of early ages, they rock. . . . . But there also are fellows like Tiesto or Benny Benassi that realy kill music and musical taste of people of my age and younger. . . . . . This what shoul be stopped this is not developing, no this is nothing but pure slaughterhouse. . . . Believe me. . . Think twice when you say Screw Bringin Old back and when you say that ra is no a crap. . . . . :hippy:

Oh it doesn't hurt me. What you're referring to is the mainstream, and just the fact that the rock artists you brought up are also mainstream shows that there is no way you've delved far enough into the world of rap to make an informed choice.

This applies to you:

3) you're just reinforcing your own pre-determined narrow mindedness towards a whole genre of music, in which, yes, effort and talent actually are present.

I guess everyone just ignored my above post :whistling:

Go on with your delusions that all new music sucks ;)

i went and listened.

opeth-very good. i will buy that.

jazzanova-booooring. sorry.

3-ok, wouldn't buy it, wouldn't turn it off the radio

what was the other? massive jazz ? KILLER bass! interesting....

all new music doesn't suck. the system in which they bring it to you does. i personally think pop/rock/rap/country music's been dying since the demise of the LP...it's just taken that long to make a new music release a fart in the wind. hard to get a consumer to listen to an entire album when they can download any song from it.

perhaps a good way to combat this is what we are doing-discussing and giving each other referrals. any other recommendations? i'm interested....

I guess everyone just ignored my above post :whistling:

Go on with your delusions that all new music sucks ;)

The problem with people who are stuck like this is that they usually won't listen to anyone. :rolleyes:

So there's really not much point in guiding them.

Can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped.

I just saw Matt's post about rap, well, I have to say that I honestly think hip hop today (stuff like Soulja Boy and Sean kingston) is just terrible and not needed. Now, if you want to say some rap like "Liquid Swords" by Genius/GZA, ok cool. I mean, I like the old stuff that has everybody saying it's truly one of the greatest rap albums of all time (see Nas' Illimatic for example) but for stuff today like Lil' Wayne? Fleh. Also, why "Lil" He ain't "lil' he's full grown. Crazy rappers. :lol::rolleyes:

I just saw Matt's post about rap, well, I have to say that I honestly think hip hop today (stuff like Soulja Boy and Sean kingston) is just terrible and not needed. Now, if you want to say some rap like "Liquid Swords" by Genius/GZA, ok cool. I mean, I like the old stuff that has everybody saying it's truly one of the greatest rap albums of all time (see Nas' Illimatic for example) but for stuff today like Lil' Wayne? Fleh. Also, why "Lil" He ain't "lil' he's full grown. Crazy rappers. :lol::rolleyes:

Exactly, every genre has good and bad music. It just so happens that what's popular in rap today is not that good. And whoa, what does EVERYONE HERE (well....not everyone :P) say about rock today? THE SAME THING! Does that mean all rock sucks? Of course not, you know that for yourself. Therefore, all rap does not suck.

I like Nas, Rick! :thumbsup: NWA, Ice Cube. The classics, you know. I also groove a little bit to Kanye West and 50 Cent (which, I know, is a bit of a guilty pleasure :rolleyes:). I'll listen to rap just if it has a good beat, as long as I can tune out the rapper if I don't like him.

There's also a lot of underground rap that is not at all what people label rap to be. Blue Scholars is the only group I can think of right now though. It's more like...poetry to music. A lot of rap is actually positive! Wow!

Exactly, every genre has good and bad music. It just so happens that what's popular in rap today is not that good. And whoa, what does EVERYONE HERE (well...not everyone :P)say about rock today? THE SAME THING! Does that mean all rock sucks? Of course not, you know that for yourself. Therefore, all rap does not suck.

I like Nas, Rick! :thumbsup: NWA, Ice Cube. The classics, you know. I also groove a little bit to Kanye West and 50 Cent (which, I know, is a bit of a guilty pleasure :rolleyes:). I'll listen to rap just if it has a good beat, as long as I can tune out the rapper if I don't like him.

There's also a lot of underground rap that is not at all what people label rap to be. Blue Scholars is the only group I can think of right now though. It's more like...poetry to music. A lot of rap is actually positive! Wow!

Snoop Dog, very cool person!

Archived