The NBA Thread! 08

eagle87

Well my friends the new season is here, so lets talk about it....

Im a SA Spurs fan. Favorite player: MANU!!!

What are your expectation for these season?

Watch out for Cleveland in the East! At full strength, the Cavs are a handful. Not sure the Celtics can hold them off this time if the Cavs big men are healthy at the end. But can their big man stay healthy. I'm a Bucks fan, and we'll be fighting for the 8th spot if all goes well.

Favorite player: Ray Allen

Watch out for Cleveland in the East! At full strength, the Cavs are a handful. Not sure the Celtics can hold them off this time if the Cavs big men are healthy at the end. But can their big man stay healthy. I'm a Bucks fan, and we'll be fighting for the 8th spot if all goes well.

Favorite player: Ray Allen

Lebron James is crazy good. I'd still take Kobe given the choice - more killer instinct.

When I was younger and before we had a team, I loved the Celtics. Fave player: Larry Bird

Today I hate the arrogance of that team

GO RAPTORS! (the same team Kobe dropped 81 points on :bagoverhead: )

My favorite players are long gone. Jerry West and Rick Barry. My favorite team is long gone too. Does anyone remember the old Buffalo Braves? I think the West is loaded. The experts seem to think the Lakers will walk away with it all. I have a feeling it will be either Houston, Phoenix or New Orleans that comes out of the tough West. I say Boston will get knocked off. Would be nice to see Toronto do something though I know nothing about them. I much prefer hockey.

Ernie D!!! Bob McAdoo!!! Yes, even Moses Malone was a Buffalo Brave ... for a minute.

The "experts" thought the Lakers would walk away with it LAST season's finals. Gotta stop paying attention to the self-fulfilling hypsters at ESPN. They are the worst kind of journalists invested in their own stories and hype. The West may be loaded but the East is improved, and the top two teams last season come playoff time were the Celtics and Cavs. The Celtics took the heart right out of Kobe and Odom and Vujovic and Gasol. The Cavs would have done the same.

Houston would be my choice out of the West. The East? Hard to decide between Cleveland and Boston. Either way, Houston's the only team that could handle either one in a seven game series, if all teams are at full strength.

Lebron James is crazy good. I'd still take Kobe given the choice - more killer instinct.

When I was younger and before we had a team, I loved the Celtics. Fave player: Larry Bird

Ooh, my Bucks are playing the Raptors tonight - Bucks home opener.

But Patrycja!!! Larry Bird was far more arrogant than Ray, KG and PP put together. There's no arrogance in Paul Pierce, some in Garnett. Ray -- well, his jumper is the prettiest thing in basketball. But Bird was the most arrogant player in the league in his day. The only other player he respected was Magic Johnson. Or, you might say, the only time Bird had any respect for anybody was when Magic was on the court against him -- so you might say he respected Magic's Lakers. Nobody else, though. I don't think Bird ever respected Dr. J and his Sixers or my Bucks and Marques Johnson.

But Patrycja!!! Larry Bird was far more arrogant than Ray, KG and PP put together. There's no arrogance in Paul Pierce, some in Garnett. Ray -- well, his jumper is the prettiest thing in basketball. But Bird was the most arrogant player in the league in his day. The only other player he respected was Magic Johnson. Or, you might say, the only time Bird had any respect for anybody was when Magic was on the court against him -- so you might say he respected Magic's Lakers. Nobody else, though. I don't think Bird ever respected Dr. J and his Sixers or my Bucks and Marques Johnson.

Whaaat? Bird...arrogant? I've never hea-just kidding. Yeah I know, the guy was one of the biggest trash talkers of his time, too. I love the story of the 3-point competition where he told everyone in the locker room, "I'm just looking around to see who's gonna finish second." Ahahaha! Balls! He won. Bill Laimbeer was an arrogant ass. Hated that guy. Some classic clashes with Detroit.

And from a different era, I love Havlicek, too.

Anyway, I just thought it was laughable that Pierce asserted that his name ought to be considered along with the greats now that he won. LOL. No one with an ounce of class says that. Especially after ONE title. And the whole team act like thugs. They play dirty, especially when they get down, and goad other teams when they're up. They don't show class or sportsmanship.

I think the Lakers will win it this year.

Good luck tonight, the Bucks have some nice talent. Of course, I'm taking my Raps for the win :)

(wow the Milwaukee crowd is quiet :o )

Edited by Patrycja

"Bird was the Word!" :thumbsup:

Larry_Bird_Photo.jpg

:) cool pic of 'the hick from French Lick' :D

I so well Bird's shot being blocked, then his stealing the inbounds pass, passing it to Dennis Johnson who put it in the bucket...so many emotions in such a short time!!! I love YouTube for clips like this:

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Whaaat? Bird...arrogant? I've never hea-just kidding. Yeah I know, the guy was one of the biggest trash talkers of his time, too. I love the story of the 3-point competition where he told everyone in the locker room, "I'm just looking around to see who's gonna finish second." Ahahaha! Balls! He won. Bill Laimbeer was an arrogant ass. Hated that guy. Some classic clashes with Detroit.

Anyway, I just thought it was laughable that Pierce asserted that his name ought to be considered along with the greats now that he won. LOL. No one with an ounce of class says that. Especially after ONE title. And the whole team act like thugs. They play dirty, especially when they get down, and goad other teams when they're up. They don't show class or sportsmanship.

Good luck tonight, the Bucks have some nice talent. Of course, I'm taking my Raps for the win :)

Glad you explained that bit Patrycja. I'd forgotten about their on-court play, was just thinking how humble Pierce seemed when he bawled like a baby at the ring ceremony this week. Have to confess that I enjoy the dirty play stuff, especially the goading. Trying to intimidate the opponent, psych them out, etc.......the head stuff is just as macho as the physical and turns me on. LOL Except when it was done by Laimbeer, I agree with you there.

We lost our Sonics so I'll root for a Texas team this year, Spurs or Rockets.

Glad you explained that bit Patrycja. I'd forgotten about their on-court play, was just thinking how humble Pierce seemed when he bawled like a baby at the ring ceremony this week. Have to confess that I enjoy the dirty play stuff, especially the goading. Trying to intimidate the opponent, psych them out, etc.......the head stuff is just as macho as the physical and turns me on. LOL Except when it was done by Laimbeer, I agree with you there.

We lost our Sonics so I'll root for a Texas team this year, Spurs or Rockets.

Losing the Sonics hurts big time. Gus, Lenny, DJ, Sikma. Damn shame this happened :(

I forgot to mention 'Downtown Freddie Brown'

Freddie!! He's from Milwaukee, you know, went to Lincoln High School here, which is now Lincoln Middle School for the Arts. And Gus Williams, one of the best shooters I ever saw!!! How's the feedback coming on the petition to Roboert, Ally?

I forgot to mention 'Downtown Freddie Brown'

And Paul Silas.

Freddie!! He's from Milwaukee, you know, went to Lincoln High School here, which is now Lincoln Middle School for the Arts. And Gus Williams, one of the best shooters I ever saw!!!

How's the feedback coming on the petition to Roboert, Ally?

I love how Bogut handled Bosh -- but shit, we coulda used a home call or two tonight. You got too many great shooters - Kapano is the best three point shooter in NBA history, did you know? Anthony Parker is #7 all-time, 3rd among active players!! Calderon was one of the top five two-point shooters in the league last year, and Jamario Moon looks like he can shoot the lights out too. We have NO ONE who can shoot like that (Michael Redd's a joke).

I hated Lambeer too. Two of my favorite Bucks memories are 1) Bob Lanier porkchopping Lambeer and breaking his nose; and 2) Sydney Moncreif elbowing him in the schnozz which also broke the nose of one Bill Lambeer.

Patrycia, correct me if I'm wrong, but until last season, had not Paul Pierce amassed the most losses EVER in a Celtics uniform? He's one of the leaders among games played for Boston, and I don't think anybody's ever been allowed to stick around in a Boston uniform and lose as much as Pierce has. We gotta guy like that in Milwaukee - Michael Redd. Nobody's ever stuck around with the Bucks as long as Redd losing (as you saw tonight, we lost again to your Raptors).

But, hey, we coulda drafted Paul Pierce in 1998. Instead we pulled some wierdo deal with Dallas to have the Mavs draft Robert Tractor Traylor while we took Dirk Nowitzki!!! and immediately traded Dirk to Dallas for da Tractor. MVP Dirk Nowitzki!!! And if that wasn't bad enoght, all along we coulda just taken Pierce, who went a few picks later to Boston.

I don't think the Celtics are thugs!! What, just because they like to beat up on the Lakers and Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom (those guys need to grow some balls). So does your boy Jermaine O'Neal. What a nonfactor vs. Bogut.

And Ray Allen could never be considered a thug! B)

Edited by Mercurious

And Paul Silas.

Freddie!! He's from Milwaukee, you know, went to Lincoln High School here, which is now Lincoln Middle School for the Arts. And Gus Williams, one of the best shooters I ever saw!!!

How's the feedback coming on the petition to Roboert, Ally?

It doesn't even have a place on the bench. Total non starter with retirement on the horizon :D

I love how Bogut handled Bosh -- but shit, we coulda used a home call or two tonight. You got too many great shooters - Kapano is the best three point shooter in NBA history, did you know? Anthony Parker is #7 all-time, 3rd among active players!! Calderon was one of the top five two-point shooters in the league last year, and Jamario Moon looks like he can shoot the lights out too. We have NO ONE who can shoot like that (Michael Redd's a joke).

I hated Lambeer too. Two of my favorite Bucks memories are 1) Bob Lanier porkchopping Lambeer and breaking his nose; and 2) Sydney Moncreif elbowing him in the schnozz which also broke the nose of one Bill Lambeer.

Patrycia, correct me if I'm wrong, but until last season, had not Paul Pierce amassed the most losses EVER in a Celtics uniform? He's one of the leaders among games played for Boston, and I don't think anybody's ever been allowed to stick around in a Boston uniform and lose as much as Pierce has. We gotta guy like that in Milwaukee - Michael Redd. Nobody's ever stuck around with the Bucks as long as Redd losing (as you saw tonight, we lost again to your Raptors).

But, hey, we coulda drafted Paul Pierce in 1998. Instead we pulled some wierdo deal with Dallas to have the Mavs draft Robert Tractor Traylor while we took Dirk Nowitzki!!! and immediately traded Dirk to Dallas for da Tractor. MVP Dirk Nowitzki!!! And if that wasn't bad enoght, all along we coulda just taken Pierce, who went a few picks later to Boston.

I don't think the Celtics are thugs!! What, just because they like to beat up on the Lakers and Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom (those guys need to grow some balls). So does your boy Jermaine O'Neal. What a nonfactor vs. Bogut.

And Ray Allen could never be considered a thug! B)

Bogut's got an edge to him and that's good for a team to have. Finesse wins many games in the regular season but interior toughness wins playoffs. Michael Redd - when he's hot he hot, when he's not, the Bucks offense becomes a vacuum (I always forget if it's 2 c's or 2 u's with that words lol). We may have great outside shooters (we have a very long 3-pointer made in consecutive games streak) but have always had trouble with consistent drives to the hoop. They're trying to mould Bargnani into that role - interior presence, and O'Neal is an effective shot blocker but he's not the player he used to be so it's a work in progress. We've yet to get a good balance between outisde and inside game imo.

Slightly OT, but Jefferson does not seem to be liked by your team, have you noticed that?

Well Mercurious, you make a good point. Not ALL the Celtics are thugs, I should not paint the whole team with such a broad brush. Ray Allen is a class act, and has one of the sweetest strokes ever. Deadly accuracy, too. I've always liked Pierce and Garnett and felt so bad for the latter when he was languishing in Minny. And I get that Pierce had waited a loooooong time for the win. It's not that he didn't deserve to celebrate. It's that his comments post season were not very classy. It's not for him to say he should be included with the greats. Besides, with all due respect, one ring does not a great make (and neither does waiting a long time for one). It's not for him to say he should be included with the Birds and Havliceks is all I'm saying.

That said, that your Bucks passed on Pierce is sad. Really sad. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. But yeah that you passed on him to draft Disco Dirk wouldn't have been so bad ... if only you hadn't traded him for the Tractor OOOH NOOO! Is even inthe NBA anymore??? Sorry, don't mean to rub it in but it's been so long since that draft it's like hearing it for the first time.

So I guess my point about the current Celtics roster is that when they happen to get outplayed they start to play dirty (not all, but guys like Garnett and Rondo especially, sometimes Pierce) and then complain when they get calls. They also trash talk like they're the shit. I didn't see Detroit (except Sheed) or the Bulls in their heyday do that as much. And they won A LOT more. But if you happened to watch the link I gave about Bird, it is amazing how physical the game used to be. How it has changed! Today you breathe too close and the whistle gets blown. And even that seems to be inconsistent - like you said, sometimes it's like the whistles aren't there.

It was an inconsistent game between the Raps and Bucks - no flow, in part because of the weird calls. Good luck in the season - except when you meet us B)

WTF!

Spurs 1-4... wtf is happening with team...

And now with Parker out for a month it won't get any easier for them.

The Raptors desperately need to get a new coach. One who could, you know, actually coach. It is so painful to watch the same plays (iso, pick and roll), bad clock management, predictable sets out of timeouts, poor player substitutions, poor player usage (like our driving forward Moon who mostly takes ill-advised shots, or our 3 point threat Kapono passing up shots and driving to the hoop - and missing). And the coach always just says the guys missed assignments and shots. Great insight. Good riddance!!!!!!!!