The impending doom!

JethroTull

First of all, i agree there is a "fear" in the air. While i am in a profession that is always in need of more people, and don't worry about losing my job, i feel so much empathy for so many who are losing their jobs, unless they work on Wall Street free-indifferent-smileys-722.gif

Stores are empty, businesses are losing money, prices for food and goods are very high...lets hope the price of gas stays down for a while, it's the only thing that has come down.

I still spend money, mostly on eating out. However, i am watching much closer how much i spend. Most of this is due to the high cost of things and my difficulty watching what i spend catching up to me. I also have a bit of suspicion now when i put money in the bank. That is a feeling i never expected to have in my lifetime.

Let's hope the new Administration can take all this tragedy and turn it around. Maybe smart, dedicated people can actually make our country stronger, in time...

Interesting article (dates back to June, before it all hit the fan)...

my sentiments, Bush's destructive ending to a destructive 8 years in the office he never deserved to have. free-indifferent-smileys-746.gif

Archive for Thursday, June 26, 2008

TIMES/BLOOMBERG POLL

Times poll: 75% blame Bush’s policies for deterioriating economy

The figure includes large numbers of dissatisfied Republicans and represents a sharp increase in pessimism over the last year. Higher fuel prices have sharpened the criticism.

By Maura Reynolds

June 26, 2008

Three out of four Americans, including large numbers of Republicans, blame President Bush’s economic policies for making the country worse off during the last eight years, according to a Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll released today, reflecting a sharp increase in public pessimism during the last year.

Nine percent of respondents said the country’s economic condition has become better off since Bush became president, compared with 75% who said conditions had worsened. Among Republicans, 42% said the country is worse off, while 26% said it is about the same, and only 22% thought economic conditions had improved.

Phillip Thies, a registered Republican and clothing store owner in Cedar, Mich., who was one of those polled, said the president was doing an able job through the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks but that “right after that, it was steadily, steadily downhill.”

“There has been a lack of leadership and a lack of timeliness of leadership, of not being conscious of the magnitude of the problems,” Thies said of Bush in a follow-up interview. “He’s always a day late and a dollar short.”

“I’m not as well off as I was before he was president and that pertains to all my friends, too, everyone I know,” said Lois Coleman, 84, of Floyds Knobs, Ind., who described herself as an independent.

The economic pessimism has deepened sharply in the last year, intensified by higher fuel prices, the poll found. When the question was asked in March 2007, 24% of respondents said Bush’s policies had improved the nation’s economy and 46% said they had made it worse.

The increased unhappiness is reflected in an all-time low in Bush’s approval rating – just 23% now, compared with 34% in February.

“It is no surprise that Americans are feeling very pessimistic about the economy – with rising gas and oil prices and food prices affecting their pocketbooks,” said Times polling director Susan Pinkus.

“They don’t see an end to the rise in prices… . Americans blame the president, along with the oil companies, for not having done enough to stem the tide of rising gas prices.”

Seventy percent of respondents said the rising cost of fuel had caused hardship for their families and the pain appeared spread across all income groups: 79% of people with incomes of less than $40,000 a year said the higher prices were a hardship, but so did 55% of respondents with incomes above $100,000.

Scott White, 47, a registered Republican from Saco, Maine, said he had to get public assistance twice last year to pay for home heating oil. He said he expects things will get worse before they get better.

“I’m what I call middle-class poor,” said White, who has muscular dystrophy and recently had to stop working because of his disability. “It seems like [President Bush] is not in touch with the American people… . I voted for him both elections, but I wouldn’t vote for him again.”

Asked for their view of the cause of the higher prices, respondents blamed the Bush administration and oil company profits in roughly equal measure – 29% holding the administration responsible and 25% blaming the oil companies, a spread within the poll’s margin of error.

Thirteen percent of those polled said commodities speculators were responsible for the increases; another 14% said they were not sure who was at fault.

Amber Guckenberg, a 28-year-old stay-at-home mom in Kalispell, Mont., said she’s not sure Bush deserves all the blame for rising energy prices, but she wishes he had found a way to rein them in.

“We’ve had to scale back on a lot of things – not going on camping trips, watching what we buy at the grocery store,” Guckenberg said, noting her monthly heating bills now top $300 a month. “This year my kids probably won’t be able to take swimming lessons because I can’t afford it.”

The poll also suggested that public support for a foreclosure rescue bill has weakened some while opposition has strengthened. Only 25% of respondents in a May Times/Bloomberg poll said they opposed government assistance for homeowners, while 36% oppose it now. Just 55% of respondents said they favored such government assistance now, compared to 60% of respondents in the same poll.

“I’m totally opposed to government coming to the aid of individuals who made poor decisions,” said Thies, the clothing store owner from Cedar, Mich. “It’s tough cheese, Charlie.”

While respondents had strong opinions about the state of the economy, they were not sure how to make it better. Asked what the top priority for improving the economy should be, 27% said cutting taxes, 20% said reduce the federal deficit, 13% said fund public programs and 13% volunteered that something should be done to address the price of energy.

All together, 82% of respondents said the economy is doing badly, compared with 71% who felt that way when the question was asked in February. And the pessimism has intensified: 50% of respondents said the economy is doing “very badly,” compared to 38% in February.

The Times/Bloomberg Poll, conducted June 19-23 under Pinkus’ supervision, interviewed 1,233 adults nationwide. The poll’s margin of sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jun/26/business/fi-poll26

I guess you could say that wasn't a stellar moment for you. Did they leave a tip?

No tip for this one. BTW, when I first started bartending in my late teens at a Golf course, I didn't know that Gin Giblets where not suppose to be blended in a blender. Oh well... but I am a quick study.

No tip for this one. BTW, when I first started bartending in my late teens at a Golf course, I didn't know that Gin Giblets where not suppose to be blended in a blender. Oh well... but I am a quick study.

Had I been at your table when this happened,you were apologetic,your service had been fine up to this point,I would have left you a tip.Shit like this happens.In the grand scheme,no biggie to me.

When I was in college I had a waitressing job and spilled a tray of beer in large steins all over a doctor and his family. After many apologies the doctor asked me what I was studying in college. When I told him I was studying to be a doctor myself, he handed me a twenty dollar bill and said: "Use this money to get your education so you don't have to wait tables anymore because you are no good at it". :lol:

When I was in college I had a waitressing job and spilled a tray of beer in large steins all over a doctor and his family. After many apologies the doctor asked me what I was studying in college. When I told him I was studying to be a doctor myself, he handed me a twenty dollar bill and said: "Use this money to get your education so you don't have to wait tables anymore because you are no good at it". :lol:

Not sure if you are doctor, but I am glad I have my career.

:slapface: aw shit all this time I thought you were a guy :o Doh! :blush: my bad!

I used to work at a restaurant, but in the kitchen when I was a teen and sometimes the

waitresses would have such a rough night with customers they would be in tears by the end of the night. :console:

I am an Optometrist, which is an eye doctor. I have two degrees. Don't know why you would doubt what I am saying, just because I am a woman?

People do change their curriculum while in college. I think you are referring to DZlodoc when he thought you were a guy. Ouch!

you can take all the money in the world

and no matter how many bills you've curled

it ain't going ta change a thing in your world

cause you live with what you've done in this world

don't worry

don't worry be happy

even though we live in a world that promotes money

having it don't make you a honey

don't worry

be happy

don't worry be happy

and even though I've been broke since 1991

I've still been able to have some fun

realize that we are all one

and for some fun

just be good then it's understood

that doing good

makes you good

don't worry

don't worry

be happy

you know I could have been a billionaire

since 1991 butt I don't care

destroying mother earth

so i can have all the gold

or any mineral

material

and watch the destruction of the earth unfold

and sit on a big fat purse

asking you all

what is it really worth

whats the problem with loving mother earth

the place of our birth

oooh ya and you know

in the end

it's something money

really can't apprehend

so forget about it

and start dancing my friend

you know we can all get over that bend

Oh, give it a rest. I, as I'm sure many here have, worked in restraunts as a teenage part time job and let me tell ya, having to put up with snot bag customers was the worst. Dumping a plate on someones head was a dream I used to have. It's honest work and if you get good service, then tip them. They don't make a huge hourly wage.

I don't make a huge hourly wage either. :o

I have yet to get memorable service at a restaurant anywhere. They take you're order. barely say two words to you, serve the meal and you don't see them again under they present the bill.

I did my share of spending this past weekend:

Saw the Bond movie on Friday tickets for four $36

Dinner Friday for four $65

Full tank of gas to drive to Cleveland and back $45

Dinner for two $50 with $10 tip

Hotel bill for one night $200

Tickets to Les Paul Tribute concert $70

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Admission tickets for two $42

Items bought at the RRHF $165

Taxi ride to Les Paul concert $5 with $5 tip to cab driver

Tips for hotel doorman, valet, coat check girl $20

The economy in Cleveland is depressed due to the National City Bank's financial troubles. Their headquarters are in Cleveland. I believe in big tips to people who are working to serve us as this is their main source of income. And especially these people in Cleveland are having hard times and they need this money. You should have seen the grateful look on that cabbie's face when I gave him $10 for a $5 fare. The trip from the hotel to the concert was an easy walking distance, only a few blocks but it was pouring down rain and cold. The hotel doorman went out in the rain to flag down the taxi and I thought that he deserved a good tip. I just feel like rewarding people and feel that these tips are money that is well spent. On the other hand, I will just leave a paltry tip for poor service in the hopes that it gives the signal that the person needs to improve their service and maybe the next patron after me will get better service from them.

See? this is what i am talking about. You here about the bad economy but here is someone who is spending. Then you see the mammoth box office take. Are things that bad? A good portion of the public don't seem to think so. I don't spend nearly as much as that and i live in Canada. I limit spending in almost everything.

Make up your mind, will ya? :hysterical:

You know what i mean. :rolleyes: They matter too but in most of my life no one has been putting me first or looking out for what's best for me so i have to do it. Self preservation it's called.

I don't make a huge hourly wage either. :o

I have yet to get memorable service at a restaurant anywhere. They take you're order. barely say two words to you, serve the meal and you don't see them again under they present the bill.

My husband and I are regulars at a local restaurant. We always sit at the bar and order dinner and drinks and talk to the bartender. My husband is a big tipper (I'm sort of a cheapskate) and they take care of us because he tips so well. In fact, the bartenders will often charge us for only one drink apiece, even if we've both had a few. So, if you do find a restaurant you like, I think it's a good idea to tip well and be a repeat customer.

My husband and I are regulars at a local restaurant. We always sit at the bar and order dinner and drinks and talk to the bartender. My husband is a big tipper (I'm sort of a cheapskate) and they take care of us because he tips so well. In fact, the bartenders will often charge us for only one drink apiece, even if we've both had a few. So, if you do find a restaurant you like, I think it's a good idea to tip well and be a repeat customer.

Words of wisdom indeed. We're pretty generous with the tips when we go out, and we've been rewarded with free drinks and better service overall.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you by being a tightass. ;)

Archived