Coldplay Plagiarists?

Reggie29

They overlayed the satriani guitar with the Coldplay song on the radio today, it was very very close and all fiited in together, so he might well win, but with only 12 notes to play with you are always going to get similarity in music.. I mean Zep were no angels !!!

just looked him up - and no i wasnt kidding, i've never heard of him

BUT why should i?

never been a fan of deep purple or the rolling stones

if he was that good i would have heard of him!

It's ok. It's impossible to know all the musicians. We have too less energy and time and money fot that...

BUT he is good, at least IMHO. :D

Not that I favor Coldplay in any way, but I think it's unintentional. They probably never heard Satriani's song.

A couple of months before Rolling Stones released Voodoo Lounge I sat in my room and was messing with the slide and came up with, what I thought, a great riff. Later when I purchased Voodoo Lounge I discovered I had made the exact same riff as the bridge in I Go Wild.

Not that I favor Coldplay in any way, but I think it's unintentional. They probably never heard Satriani's song.

A couple of months before Rolling Stones released Voodoo Lounge I sat in my room and was messing with the slide and came up with, what I thought, a great riff. Later when I purchased Voodoo Lounge I discovered I had made the exact same riff as the bridge in I Go Wild.

It's absolutely intentional, no doubt whatsoever about it. Go HERE

I've seen the youtube. The chord structure isn't that original, I still think it's unintentional.

I must say I find that rather amazing! I have a lot of respect for your opinions, Swede, because from what I've seen your posts are, as a rule, informed and well founded, but I totally disagree on this. I know the idea isn't very original, and I know shit happens. But THIS is ridiculous. It's not just the same melody and chord structure, but also the overall tempo and exact timing of chord changes.

Satriani said he had tried to contact Coldplay for quite a long time and they had just ignored him. Even if the similarity is unintentional, this attitude is not.

I must say I find that rather amazing! I have a lot of respect for your opinions, Swede, because from what I've seen your posts are, as a rule, informed and well founded, but I totally disagree on this. I know the idea isn't very original, and I know shit happens. But THIS is ridiculous. It's not just the same melody and chord structure, but also the overall tempo and exact timing of chord changes.

Hey Otto, of course I wouldn't swear on it. I am just guessing, as I know nothing about the story more then the fact I've heard both songs on youtube.. Don't take my words too seriously regarding this. :D

Satriani said he had tried to contact Coldplay for quite a long time and they had just ignored him. Even if the similarity is unintentional, this attitude is not.

That is not to their favor either way, that is for sure...

Did you read the info on that youtube link you provided? The video poster have been editing both tempo and keys.

Make of it what you will.

However, for those who are unaware, the tempo and keys HAVE been edited. I would never intend to trick anyone into believing that the two songs were IDENTICAL in these aspects.

But think before suggesting that this makes the situation any different. Key and tempo are controllable variables, where as the main key to this argument is harmonically and melodically based. Key and tempo should be irrelevent in this respect.

Even without legal knowledge it's really hard to see how anyone can dispute the validity of Satriani's case. Just listen to it! It's blatant.

Let's say it wasn't intentional (although the OP's assertion that Coldplay ignored Satriani and basically forced him to pursue this avenue is suspicious):

1. You'd think someone in the whole music company would scratch their head and go, hmm, where have I heard that before? You know, seeing as how they're in the industry and are supposed to be experts in their field and all.

2. I'm no expert, but intent does not seem to determine guilt. It's based on the final product, regardless of whether or not it was intentional.

I did a quick search and found this:

Music Copyright Guide

According to this site, "The legal test of infringement is "substantial similarity" - whether an ordinary observer would recognize the work as having been copied in whole or in part from the earlier one." If that's the case, Coldplay's about lose a case.

I recall hearing somewhere that there is an actual specific standard - something like three consecutive bars of same or similar notes/chord progression (not tempo or key) - that holds up in court.

It would be shocking if this case did not go in Satriani's favour.

I agree with you that Coldplay probably will lose this case, because the songs are very similiar and Coldplay will not be able to proof they're innocent. However, I am stubborn regarding the question if it was intentional or not, I don't think they stole the song.

Archived