Seattle

downtime672

Was seattle 77 video intended to be a concert movie

No. The video of Seattle 77 is just the recorded feed of what the inhouse camera crew was showing on the closed-circuit video screens in the venue. Same as Bath, Atlanta 73, Earls' Court 75, Houston 77, Pontiac 77, Knebworth 79, etc.

Save for Danish TV, Royal Albert Hall 70, Amsterdam 72, and MSG 73 there were very few Zeppelin shows filmed with a "broadcast" style presentation in mind.

No. The video of Seattle 77 is just the recorded feed of what the inhouse camera crew was showing on the closed-circuit video screens in the venue. Same as Bath, Atlanta 73, Earls' Court 75, Houston 77, Pontiac 77, Knebworth 79, etc.

Save for Danish TV, Royal Albert Hall 70, Amsterdam 72, and MSG 73 there were very few Zeppelin shows filmed with a "broadcast" style presentation in mind.

Wasn't the plan to film the Philly shows at the end of the '77 tour for some sort of release? One thing I never understood is why would you film the end of tour when they were exhausted and probably a little burned out, instead of the middle when the rust was gone and they were on top of their game. Anyway, it's sad how things turned out. 1977 into1978 could have been great times in the Zep era.

Thats how Zeppelin did it. No real foresight, just like, hey, this is kinda of good, maybe we should record it or tape it, who do you know that we could call and do they have good drugs.

Thats how Zeppelin did it. No real foresight, just like, hey, this is kinda of good, maybe we should record it or tape it, who do you know that we could call and do they have good drugs.

Maybe so I don't know the motivations for filming but I can tell you this. Grant put up 3 grand to buy state of the art lenses for the Seattle camera crew. Fast posted 'em in for the show. Must have had an advance man to come out and check stuff well before the show. One of the reasons this show was probably picked was because it was the first show between legs of the tour which would have been best in setting something like this up.

This is speculative but it is the only explanation I've heard that makes any real sense why zeppelin and bands in general would tend to bring it up a notch when performing in Seattle.

"Bought a 2nd edition of the book "It Was All Just Rock 'n' Roll". This explains everything.

Pat O'Day was a premier disc jockey in Seattle when I was a kid. Listened to him on KJR (...Seattle channel 95...) when I was 11.

He became a city icon, like Ivar Haglund of Ivars Fish restaurants.

Nice guy, everybody liked him.

Did sock hops and dance things. Started the big "Spanish Castle" craze of the 50's/60's. Promoted them.

Bands were getting screwed regularly. No piano, piano out of tune, no food, no promotion, no audience, cheated out of pay...that was typical at the time, and Pat offered a solution.

He started his own production company that guaranteed the artist exactly what they were promised at every gig they did throughout America.

Everybody signed on after all the crap they were used to getting.

Initial company name was something like Pat O'Day productions. Later they changed it to Concerts West. This guy founded Concerts West! I had no idea.

He had one man travel with every band wherever they went. If something was wrong, this guy would fix it.

Later the company teamed with Showco to provide all the stage equipment. All the band had to do was say I'm doing a tour, and the Showco/Concerts West thing kicks in. PA's, promo, babysitters...all that shit just falls into place by people who do it all the time. Makes a whole bunch of sense.

Why are the Seattle shows so inspiring? Because they were playing in the hometown of their production company with all the big wigs who took care of them. They're playing in front of their "boss'" and all the underlings who can make their life easy, or screw them.

Why did Zep do oldies trips like 72? Easy...these were tributes to Pat O'Day who knew and promoted these very same bands previously. The oldies they played all have a special connection to Pat O'Day when he was a disc jockey. A tip of the hat.

The trail fades into California, but loses track as they go east. Think about it. They were playing that stuff for Pat and company, as a thank you, as a compliment. He personally made their touring life easy as getting on a plane. The worries were gone.

Especially in Seattle, they would be treated to the best of life for a few days...the very very best. They had a host who virtually "owned" the town. This was something to look forward to for a band.

Read the book...and tell me I'm wrong. No way! The key is Pat O'Day. There are other interesting stories in the book I won't spoil. I will never hear Zep in Seattle again without this frame of mind."

• 1 month later...

Archived