To bail or not to bail?

Rock Action

We're on our 3rd consecutive Ford, and every one has had a problem area. The first had chronic AC problems; the second had something going on with the emission system that we and the mechanics could never get to the bottom of; and the Explorer currently has something going on with the ABS system that we also can't get to the bottom of, but we're early in the process and I'm trying to be an optimist.

OTOH, we once had an early 80s Subaru wagon that was bought used and was passed around in my family and was driven until we could literally see the road through the floorboards. My mom is still driving her mid 80s 'Roo. We also had an early 90s Corolla that we drove to death; it was even better than the 4wDs in bad weather but we finally killed the transmission and decided it wasn't cost effective to put in another one. It's still around in "dry dock" though in case Hubby ever decides to tinker on it.

This is why you should have brought it to a Technician! B)

Before the Mercedes and before gas prices were rising, had a Toyota Landcruiser. Great SUV. The 5 years I had it, not one repair. Think about a Toyota or Honda. Do the comparison for safety, gas mileage, etc.

Yeah, that's where I'm headed. Would like to go with something strong enough to haul a small trailor and reliability is as important as fuel savings for me. I gotta say, for a 6cyl, that Impala of mine is great on gas.

This is why you should have brought it to a Technician! B)

Well if we can't figure out the ABS thing I'll let you know, lol :) I read a report last week on CNN that said sometimes ABS lights just randomly come on for no apparent reason...that's where we are right now. So I'm making hubby drive it until a) the apparent reason is found and fixed, or B) the damn light goes off and stays off! <_< Meanwhile I'm driving his Jeep.

Well if we can't figure out the ABS thing I'll let you know, lol :) I read a report last week on CNN that said sometimes ABS lights just randomly come on for no apparent reason...that's where we are right now. So I'm making hubby drive it until a) the apparent reason is found and fixed, or B) the damn light goes off and stays off! <_< Meanwhile I'm driving his Jeep.

My wife's Ford(Fix Or Repair Daily)Explorer has been a reliable(I'm knocking on wood bigtime)vehicle.Good luck on resolving its issue.

The report was right AFAIK. I had a Mazda MPV that did that at times. Never happend much in the summer. Well, unless it had been raining or I had ran through a salty chuckhole. If your pads, fluids, lines and master is ok, probably mucked up sensors. Ordinarliy if there's a problem with just the lights the ABS system wont work correctly, but the braking will. Or just the lights come on and both work correctly if that makes sense...

Good luck.

Edited by Mary Hartman

We're on our 3rd consecutive Ford, and every one has had a problem area. The first had chronic AC problems; the second had something going on with the emission system that we and the mechanics could never get to the bottom of; and the Explorer currently has something going on with the ABS system that we also can't get to the bottom of, but we're early in the process and I'm trying to be an optimist.

Fix

Or

Repair

Daily

I know, I have a Ford Ranger (borrowed) and it's having a stalling problem while it warms up. After it warms up it's fine. It pings like hell too despite adjusting the timing. Drives me nuts. I'm a Chevy man at heart and may have to go back to my old reliable '78 Mailbu.

B)

It could be just a simple reset the computer issue but my previous car, a Chrysler, had the same issue and no matter how often it was reset, it still came on. Sometimes vehicles with larger wheels have problems with heat dissapation in the rotors. This causes them to warp quite quickly. Not to mention they use cheap rotors to begin with. I went to a vented rotor and that solved the problem.

They cost more but, the other option is to replace rotors twice a year. I'll bet you have a similar problem

Fix

Or

Repair

Daily

I know, I have a Ford Ranger (borrowed) and it's having a stalling problem while it warms up. After it warms up it's fine. It pings like hell too despite adjusting the timing. Drives me nuts. I'm a Chevy man at heart and may have to go back to my old reliable '78 Mailbu.

B)

I had a 78 Malibu and loved it. Drove it for almost 20yrs. The lower seals leaked a bit but the compression was great. The only reason I let it go was because of rear frame rust. The guy I sold it to took it for the running gear and couldn't believe how good the motor was for that old a car. I will say though. When the 78's came out, they did have tranny probs and I did replace mine with a rebuilt 350 turbo

My wife's Ford(Fix Or Repair Daily)Explorer has been a reliable(I'm knocking on wood bigtime)vehicle.Good luck on resolving its issue.

If you play it backwards it's Driver Returned On Foot! :lol:

Fix

Or

Repair

Daily

'92 Mustang 2.3L LX,250,000 miles (and counting)...still going strong...... :whistling:

My first car was a '71 Ford Torino 500 which lasted 400,000. B)

You're right, the older Fords were pretty good. I believe I've mentioned my old Maverick a while back; my parents also had a '69 or 70 Ranch Wagon (a lovely shade of eggplant, lol).

However the more recent minivans....not so good :( Jury is still out on the Explorer; but hubby was very excited to get 'yall's suggestions last evening and plans to tinker over the holidays :)

You're right, the older Fords were pretty good. I believe I've mentioned my old Maverick a while back; my parents also had a '69 or 70 Ranch Wagon (a lovely shade of eggplant, lol).

However the more recent minivans....not so good :( Jury is still out on the Explorer; but hubby was very excited to get 'yall's suggestions last evening and plans to tinker over the holidays :)

Jeez. I remember those Mavericks, brand spanging new they were 1699 I think. Had a cousin who put something like 200k on one. Not much to look at and a bit hard in suspension, but look at the price and mileage.

How much was a 67 Z new? A bit under 3k I think? True muscle cars, camaros and mustangs.

My first car was a 65 mustang, see if I can pull up some polaroids B)

Had a 63 country squire wagon with the wood look sides.

A 76 cougar XR7 and a 67 mustang that got totaled :slapface:

Almost forgot, had a 73 maverick babyshit green with four doors :blush: