THE THREE DOG NIGHT THREAD

ZeppFanForever

Funny story that comes to mind~

I believe it was 1972-73. I was living in a rural area of South Carolina and a bunch of us teenage guys were camping.

Well we had this friend named Jeremiah and his nickname was actually "Bullfrog" nothing to do with the song, it's because he had this unusually deep voice for a kid his age.

Here's the funny part. We were all sitting around a camp fire one night listening to the radio and drinking some homemade watermellon wine and smokin' some doobs!

That's when "joy to the world came on" haha well you can see where this is going.

We all started singing~

"Jeremiah was a Bullfrog" hahaha~ that was! some mighty fine wine and some good smoke too! One of the best laughs of my life! Oh the good times we had.

:hysterical:

l always loved TDN since I bought Mama Told Told Me Not To Come on 45.

My favorites (et al) are

Out In The Country

That is a killer tune. Cory sung that to celebrate his love of the outdoors. Cory was an avid outdoorsman (fishing being his prime sport) and appeared several times on a popular hunting show

On a side note The late Hoyt Axton wrote Joy To The World and Never Been To Spain.

He struggled with drug addiction and wrote the Steppenwolf classics, The Pusher and Snowblind Friend as well as Ringo Starr`s No No Song

My favorites (et al) are

Out In The Country

Celebrate

Shambala

New Been To Spain

Family Of Man

One Man Band

An Old Fashion Love Song

Can do without

Pieces Of April

The Show Must Go On

Liar

Black And White

How's it going "L 7" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN and THREE DOG NIGHT fans? I am very familiar with Hoyt Axton's songs especially the ones that he wrote and THREE DOG NIGHT recorded. Would you believe that Brian Wilson wrote a song called "Darlin" for THREE DOG NIGHT to record in 1968? When BEACH BOY Mike Love vetoed the idea that Brian had of signing REDWOOD to THE BEACH BOYS' own Brother Records label, THE BEACH BOYS recorded the song "Darlin" and included the song on the "WILD HONEY" album in 1968. ROCK ON!

On a side note The late Hoyt Axton wrote Joy To The World and Never Been To Spain.

He struggled with drug addiction and wrote the Steppenwolf classics, The Pusher and Snowblind Friend as well as Ringo Starr`s No No Song

My favorites (et al) are

Out In The Country

Celebrate

Shambala

New Been To Spain

Family Of Man

One Man Band

An Old Fashion Love Song

Can do without

Pieces Of April

The Show Must Go On

Liar

Black And White

Oh "L 7," I also love RINGO STARR'S "The No No Song!" I love the chorus which goes something like this:

And I said no no no no I don't (Snort) no more, I'm tired of waking up on the floor

No thank you please it only makes me sneeze, than it makes it hard to find the door.

Enough said, ROCK ON!

Funny story that comes to mind~

I believe it was 1972-73. I was living in a rural area of South Carolina and a bunch of us teenage guys were camping.

Well we had this friend named Jeremiah and his nickname was actually "Bullfrog" nothing to do with the song, it's because he had this unusually deep voice for a kid his age.

Here's the funny part. We were all sitting around a camp fire one night listening to the radio and drinking some homemade watermellon wine and smokin' some doobs!

That's when "joy to the world came on" haha well you can see where this is going.

We all started singing~

"Jeremiah was a Bullfrog" hahaha~ that was! some mighty fine wine and some good smoke too! One of the best laughs of my life! Oh the good times we had.

:hysterical:

How's it going "Dzldoc" my buddy? It does sound evident to me that you really had some great times indeed. Thanks for sharing this particular story with all of us, it makes me wish that I was there. ROCK ON!

I own a couple of LP's, plus a two CD anthology. The anthology contains a great write-up including the battles within the band regarding who was going to sing lead vocals.

How's it going "JethroTull?" We ought to encourage all of our fellow ZEPPELIN fanatics that are not familiar with THREE DOG NIGHT to purchase the Anthology collection on CD and listen to how great their music truly sounds. I do not think or believe for a moment that anybody will come away disappointed. THREE DOG NIGHT'S music was and still is, very special. ROCK ON!

I'll be damned. :D

Three Dog Night was the first band I ever got into as a kid, even before Led Zeppelin. My first album was "It Ain't Easy", then "Captured Live At The Forum". The best one is definitely "Naturally", though.

I still have all my original Dunhill albums, though a few are pretty played out to say the least. Fortunately all the albums can be had on CD now.

Mike Allsup is a friend of mine. We're both from Northern California, he went to school with some of my relatives in Modesto in fact. Great, underrated guitarist. And a hilarious sense of humor. Probably the most beautiful song the band ever did was "Into My Life", which Mike wrote himself for the 1973 album "Cyan". Check out his site:

Michael Allsup

Don't let their AM pop hits fool you. Back in the day they could really tear it up onstage!

That is a killer tune. Cory sung that to celebrate his love of the outdoors. Cory was an avid outdoorsman (fishing being his prime sport) and appeared several times on a popular hunting show

How's it going "JethroTull" and "L 7?" I have seen Cory Wells on some of the Fishing shows on TV myself. Cory is a true outdoorsman indeed. ROCK ON!

How's it going "JethroTull" and "L 7?" I have seen Cory Wells on some of the Fishing shows on TV myself. Cory is a true outdoorsman indeed. ROCK ON!

Cory was the fishing editor of Outdoor Life magazine back in the mid-80's. Another passion we both follow. I remember seeing him on American Sportsman back in 1972, and he caught more than his share of bass. It was funny, my dad was always calling Three Dog Night a bunch of hippies. When he saw Cory catching bass on his favorite show he just about shit! :lol:

I'll be damned. :D

Three Dog Night was the first band I ever got into as a kid, even before Led Zeppelin. My first album was "It Ain't Easy", then "Captured Live At The Forum". The best one is definitely "Naturally", though.

I still have all my original Dunhill albums, though a few are pretty played out to say the least. Fortunately all the albums can be had on CD now.

Mike Allsup is a friend of mine. We're both from Northern California, he went to school with some of my relatives in Modesto in fact. Great, underrated guitarist. And a hilarious sense of humor. Probably the most beautiful song the band ever did was "Into My Life", which Mike wrote himself for the 1973 album "Cyan". Check out his site:

Michael Allsup

Don't let their AM pop hits fool you. Back in the day they could really tear it up onstage!

What's happening "Rock Action?" I always knew that you had great tastes in music. That is so cool that you know guitarist Michael Allsup. I met Danny Hutton through THE BEACH BOYS' Brian & Dennis Wilson in 1982. I partied a lot with Brian, Denny and Danny through the years. I even partied with both Brian and Danny after Brian's brother and my friend Denny passed away in December 1983. Danny is a super human being to be around with. I've been to Modesto, California on many occasions. I lived in Sacramento and Los Angeles for a combined 29 years. ROCK ON!

Cory was the fishing editor of Outdoor Life magazine back in the mid-80's. Another passion we both follow. I remember seeing him on American Sportsman back in 1972, and he caught more than his share of bass. It was funny, my dad was always calling Three Dog Night a bunch of hippies. When he saw Cory catching bass on his favorite show he just about shit! :lol:

I remember when Chuck Negron had the hippie look with the mustache which gave THREE DOG NIGHT their trademark look. ROCK ON!

I remember when Chuck Negron had the hippie look with the mustache which gave THREE DOG NIGHT their trademark look. ROCK ON!

Yeah, another thing my dad gave me crap about when he saw my copy of "It Ain't Easy". :lol:

Gawd, I used to take so much shit as a kid about my music. :rolleyes:

I never met any of the other band members. I had an opportunity this last month, they were playing in Lincoln City. But the passes were all snowed in, and I wasn't gonna die just to meet some musicians. Perhaps this coming year...

Yeah, another thing my dad gave me crap about when he saw my copy of "It Ain't Easy". :lol:

I never met any of the other band members. I had an opportunity this last month, they were playing in Lincoln City. But the passes were all snowed in, and I wasn't gonna die just to meet some musicians. Perhaps this coming year...

Our neighbours had a hard time with my music too :lol:

And the irony is, I'm older than all my surrounding neighbors! :P

Me too :D Getting back on topic, I'm gonna crank up Three Dog Nights greatest hits in a little while, I'll get back to you if the cops show up :guitar_mood:

Me too :D Getting back on topic, I'm gonna crank up Three Dog Nights greatest hits in a little while, I'll get back to you if the cops show up :guitar_mood:

Enjoy!

Oh, and on that subject, they just released "Greatest Hits Live", from a 1972 show a few months ago. MUCH better than "Around The World". Get it!

Enjoy!

Oh, and on that subject, they just released "Greatest Hits Live", from a 1972 show a few months ago. MUCH better than "Around The World". Get it!

Thanks, I will

How's it going "L 7" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN and THREE DOG NIGHT fans? I am very familiar with Hoyt Axton's songs especially the ones that he wrote and THREE DOG NIGHT recorded. Would you believe that Brian Wilson wrote a song called "Darlin" for THREE DOG NIGHT to record in 1968? When BEACH BOY Mike Love vetoed the idea that Brian had of signing REDWOOD to THE BEACH BOYS' own Brother Records label, THE BEACH BOYS recorded the song "Darlin" and included the song on the "WILD HONEY" album in 1968. ROCK ON!

Its gwon` just fine ZFF. I see you spent some time In San Antinio. I lived most of my adult life there, mostly on Nacogdoches Road.

I even met the guy that sold the gun that killed Selena at A Place To Shoot. He didnt want to talk about it to say the least. Even met George "Iceman" Gervin at the check out in Alberstons at 4 AM...Dont ask.

Maybe we crossed paths on the Paseo del Rio or all the concerts I saw at Hemisfair Arena. Too bad its torn down now.

Been shit-faced at Dick Last Resort more than once. B)

edited to add.

Doug Sahm of the Sir Douglas Quintet recently passed away as well as Freddy Fender. I think Augie Meyers and Flaco Jimenez are still playing with The Texas Tornados.

Love the song Mendocino

I definately remember Floyd something on drums though.

Floyd Sneed! Was just getting ready to say he and Bonham were the first drummers that influenced me as a youngin. I love the pockets he would hit in Joy Into The World, Never Been To Spain. Old Fashioned Love Song. I love 3DG. Take some lumps from my friends sometimes but you can't deny that was some funky shit!

I really like their version of Frankie Miller's Brickyard Blues as well.

I could live without some of the later stuff. I just saw them like a year or two ago in Lancaster, PA and I was all psyched but the drummer they had with 'em (some young hack) sucked and it affected the groove of the songs so I left about a half hour into it.

I don't own any Three Dog Night on tape, vinyl or CD but like many of the bands I was first turned onto as a kid, I heard them on 8-track. In this case, a friend's Craig Powerplay 8-track player.

0e87_1.JPG

Speaking of Out In the Country, a few short years ago R.E.M. recorded a cover of that tune with bassist Mike Mills handling the lead vocal duties. For those interested, it can be found as a B-side to one of the singles released for Bad Day:

wb-9362426702.jpg

Its gwon` just fine ZFF. I see you spent some time In San Antinio. I lived most of my adult life there, mostly on Nacogdoches Road.

I even met the guy that sold the gun that killed Selena at A Place To Shoot. He didnt want to talk about it to say the least. Even met George "Iceman" Gervin at the check out in Alberstons at 4 AM...Dont ask.

Maybe we crossed paths on the Paseo del Rio or all the concerts I saw at Hemisfair Arena. Too bad its torn down now.

Been shit-faced at Dick Last Resort more than once. B)

edited to add.

Doug Sahm of the Sir Douglas Quintet recently passed away as well as Freddy Fender. I think Augie Meyers and Flaco Jimenez are still playing with The Texas Tornados.

Love the song Mendocino

How's it going "L 7?" I see that you are very familiar with San Antonio. I grew up as a kid till I was 13 on Olmos Dr. off Fredericksburg Rd. I now live off I-10 West and ZeZavala. I saw a few concerts at the now torn down Hemisfair Arena as a kid. I never thought that the city would tear down the Hemisfair Arena. Its a real tragedy what happened to Selena. Have you ever heard of Erika Gonzaba from San Antonio? She's a very beautiful woman as well as a very talented singer and dancer. She is a very good friend of mine and of my family's. Believe it or not, I dated her a few times after I moved back to San Antonio but I am old enough to be her father. ROCK ON!

Archived