Wasn't Jimmy supposed to use a new guitar for one number?

I've read somewhere (can't remember now) that Jimmy had a guitar specially made for one of the number in the show.

Was there a guitar that's never been seen before?

I don't know if he was supposed to use it at the show or not, but I do know that he had a recreation of his 1960 LP Custom 3-pickup Black Beauty made recently (the one that was stolen). He talks about it in the Guitar World interview.

The Black Beauty LP is a new one he had recently made. It should be available next year as a signature model and features a Page designed 6 way selector switch.

Also about a year and a half ago Jimmy Page stated in an interview that he had just gotten a custom made gibson semi hollow body guitar and was doing a lot of writing on it. I presume that was the one seen at the show and in recent photos.

I Lament the loss of masonite!

The Black Beauty LP is a new one he had recently made. It should be available next year as a signature model and features a Page designed 6 way selector switch.

Also about a year and a half ago Jimmy Page stated in an interview that he had just gotten a custom made gibson semi hollow body guitar and was doing a lot of writing on it. I presume that was the one seen at the show and in recent photos.

I never figured why he liked the Danelectro. It has a brittle sound. As for the hollow-body, if what I heard on the Youtube clip is any indication, the tone is spectacular...

I never figured why he liked the Danelectro. It has a brittle sound. As for the hollow-body, if what I heard on the Youtube clip is any indication, the tone is spectacular...

The Danelectro has a unique sound of it's own. It has a great neck for playing slide as well

I tried to have a chambered (Cloud Nine) three pickup Bigsby custom made for me by Gibson about two years ago but they wouldnt do it. Guess thats why...I was so sold on these Cloud Nines that I figured the three pup Bigsby Black Beauty would be a perfect guitar to do chambered in order to cut down on the weight since they usually weigh over ten pounds.

I don't know if he was supposed to use it at the show or not, but I do know that he had a recreation of his 1960 LP Custom 3-pickup Black Beauty made recently (the one that was stolen). He talks about it in the Guitar World interview.

Wow I did not hear about this yet, any idea when they are gonna be available cause if I have to put off buying my HD Fatboy a couple of months I know I'm gonna buy one ASAP !!!!!

RjK

I think the Black Beauty is the hollow (chambered actually) body he's talking about. A few years ago Gibson came out with a line of Les Pauls that were chambered called Cloud Nine's. I have serial #1 of the 1956 series. You cant tell they are chambered until you pick one up as most weigh under 8 pounds. The also have a slightly different sound because of the resonance that the chambering produces. The Black Beauties were notoriously heavy and with a Bigsby they weigh over ten pounds, this was the perfect guitar to have chambered. Gibson currently makes a three pickup Bigsby BB but not chambered. They also don't call them Cloud Nine's anymore that was only for the original run. I tried to have one custom made after I saw it in the DVD and Gibson wouldn't do it. The dealer said something about Gibson reserving that idea for later. Hopefully this is it but I guarantee they will be over 5k USD.

I think the Black Beauty is the hollow (chambered actually) body he's talking about. A few years ago Gibson came out with a line of Les Pauls that were chambered called Cloud Nine's. I have serial #1 of the 1956 series. You cant tell they are chambered until you pick one up as most weigh under 8 pounds. The also have a slightly different sound because of the resonance that the chambering produces. The Black Beauties were notoriously heavy and with a Bigsby they weigh over ten pounds, this was the perfect guitar to have chambered. Gibson currently makes a three pickup Bigsby BB but not chambered. They also don't call them Cloud Nine's anymore that was only for the original run. I tried to have one custom made after I saw it in the DVD and Gibson wouldn't do it. The dealer said something about Gibson reserving that idea for later. Hopefully this is it but I guarantee they will be over 5k USD.

To me it makes no sense that they would "chamber" a Black Beauty unless its Jimmy's spec. To me the heavier the Lester the better the tone and sustain, my current Les Paul weighs in at 9.9 lbs and she is the nicest Lester I've ever played bar none. Even though I'm a big guy at 6'3" 240lbs I can understand they can be too heavy for some people but if your after tone/sustain and this is what Les Pauls are known for and chambering would be a big no no.

Just an opinion no need to go off on me .... lol !!!

RjK

lol the BB is not the hallow body i can tell you that much man lol

You dont even have a clue. http://wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibso...014/cr47014.php

The blonde hollow body he played at the O2 was not made for him, it was previously owned by Chuck Berry. If you knew even a little you would know that the three pup Bigsby was stolen while they were on tour in Canada. The three pup Bigsby he played on stage at the O2 was a replacement made for him by Gibson. Putting two and two together suggests that the BB he played at the O2 is the guitar the original poster is inquiring about but technically it is called "chambered" but it is in fact "hollow".

To me it makes no sense that they would "chamber" a Black Beauty unless its Jimmy's spec. To me the heavier the Lester the better the tone and sustain, my current Les Paul weighs in at 9.9 lbs and she is the nicest Lester I've ever played bar none. Even though I'm a big guy at 6'3" 240lbs I can understand they can be too heavy for some people but if your after tone/sustain and this is what Les Pauls are known for and chambering would be a big no no.

Just an opinion no need to go off on me .... lol !!!

RjK

I suggest you play a chambered Les Paul, the heavier weight does not neccessarily mean better sustain or tonal qualities. The boat anchor Les Pauls of the Norlin era were crap and are not sought out by collectors at all. The lightest vintage Les Pauls always command higher money because the lighter wood is viewed as superior for tonal reasons. If you have two Lesters and one weighs 10 pounds and the other weighs 8 pounds and they are both the exact dimensions, whats the difference? Air is the difference, the lighter Lester has more air inside the wood which gives more resonance, this is what Gibson has done with the chambered series, and they are not just hollow the chambers were designed a certain way to enhance sustain etc... I have three Lesters and the Cloud Nine is superior to the others in tonal qualities however my heaviest only weighs in at 8.8 pounds. The real heavy Lesters just sound dead to me, but maybe yours is an exception. Anyway try one out i guarantee you will really like it.

The Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty was delivered to Jimmy Just in time For the rehearsals.

It is a Custom made reissue of a 1960 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. A replacement for the one that was stolen from Page and seen on the Royal Albert Hall portion of DVD.

Jimmy Page's Black beauty, and traditionally all Les Paul Customs, and the Black Beauty Variants ( a Black Custom with 3 pickups) are solid body guitars.

[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Les_Paul_Custom

The Hollow Body Guitar That Page played at the concert is a Gibson ES-350.

That guitar was Custom made for Page in 2005. As per this quote from Guitar World in Early 2006

GUITAR WORLD"Why the Sudden Burst of Creativity?

PAGE: "Some of it is due to a new guitar. I recently BOUGHT a new Gibson 350 from Gibson Custom Shop and I've found it very inspirational. Sometimes you get a new guitar that doesn't fit you, and suddenly all sorts of things start coming out."

http://www.archtop.com/ac_50ES350b.html

http://www.rosshalfin.co.uk/ledzeppelin/le...n-colour145.jpg

You dont even have a clue. http://wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibso...014/cr47014.php

The blonde hollow body he played at the O2 was not made for him, it was previously owned by Chuck Berry. If you knew even a little you would know that the three pup Bigsby was stolen while they were on tour in Canada. The three pup Bigsby he played on stage at the O2 was a replacement made for him by Gibson. Putting two and two together suggests that the BB he played at the O2 is the guitar the original poster is inquiring about but technically it is called "chambered" but it is in fact "hollow".

The guitar that you linked to is not a Les Paul Custom and therefore not a Black Beauty.

A Custom differs from a standard Les Paul in that it features:

1. triple ply binding

2. Binding not only on the top of the guitar, but on the back as well.

3. Binding around the peg board.

4. Features an Ebony Fretboard instead of rosewood.

5. Features an Eastern Hardrock Maple Cap in stead of a Western Big Leaf (aka Figured) Maple Cap.

6. Features Block inlay instead of trapezoid

7. The Inlay on the fretboard starts at the first fret position.

A Black Beauty is a Led Paul Custom the features 3 pickups, gold hardware, and often a bigsby tailpiece.

Gibson has for a long time offered various Les Paul models that are chambered.

Jimmy Page's Black beauty, and traditionally all Les Paul Customs, and the Black Beauty Variants ( a Black Custom with 3 pickups) are solid body guitars.

Thats a bit of a generalization, they do make chambered Customs.

http://www.electric-guitar-review.com/2007...stom-chambered/

I had just read in an article that the blonde hollow body was previously owned by Chuck Berry but maybe the article had bad info. Anyway I have never seen a three pickup Bigsby chambered, but they do already make a solidbody. http://guitarsale.com/Gibson-1957-LP-Custo...y-i393715.music So if they already make this guitar what would be special about the JP Sig version, I doubt its just the toggle switch, anybody could get that done by a guitar tech, but the chambering can only be done by Gibson. Like I said before the Gibson custom shop will make nearly anything but they wouldnt make me this one.

As far as what would be special about it. It's like so many other signature guitars out there. NOT MUCH. :D

The actual difference is the toggle, there is a push/pull pot that coil taps the bridge pickup, and the guitar features Page Burstbucker pickups, and a Page profiled neck.

The main selling point is that it is a Jimmy Page guitar.

its like why pay $25,000 for his signature standard Les Paul when you could buy a 58' reissue and make the needed modifications for a few hundred extra bucks. You could save yourself $20 grand

Like I said before the Gibson custom shop will make nearly anything but they wouldnt make me this one.

Problem Solved:

How about one of these. Get it in black, and you pretty much have a chambered Les Paul Custom.

http://www.heritageguitar.com/models/MilH155.htm

I heard they pretty are good about customizing things too within reason if you want a third pickup.

Or for the money you save over a gibson you could easily have a third pickup added by a local guitar shop.

Plus the guitar has a lot more in common to a late 50's Les Paul than a Gibson does.

Made in the same factory with the same hand made techniques using some of the same equipment and workers.

Archived