Happy Halloween!

TypeO

What a lot of talented people we have here! TypeO, great job as usual! Wally Hood and zepscoda...those kids are too adorable! Great costumes! Bravo!

Still would have rather been with you at QOTSA.

/jelly

Had a most lovely Halloween, went trick o treating with a friend and her wee children and had a real blast. That is until we came to this one particular house. The house was well lit, windows open, and people inside. The little darlings went up and knocked on the door, guess what happened...

A woman opened the door flanked by two very embarrassed children of about eight and 12 respectively. The woman then began to berate my friends children for engaging in the satanic practice of trick o treating and celebrating a pagan holiday like Halloween. The friend and I quickly approached the door of the home, my friend spiriting the children away, as I calmly asked the woman if she believed as she did, why did she open the door. She told me she was a Jehovah's Witness and it was her duty to educate her children and everyone else to the evil of the holiday. I just shook my head and walked away.

I feel sorry for her children, not so much for being denied a holiday as for their mother feeling the need to include them in her beliefs to such an extreme.

You see, this is only the tip of the iceberg when people take belief too far. My friends kids really did not care, they thought the woman was bat-shit and continued on their beg fest and collection of molded sugar products. We all went home at about 9pm, watched the Exorcist with the kids (just kidding on that one), and relaxed while watching the Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin special. Oh, and pumpkin pie! I love me some pumpkin pie.

Edited by IpMan

What a lot of talented people we have here! TypeO, great job as usual! Wally Hood and zepscoda...those kids are too adorable! Great costumes! Bravo!

Thanks Strider...... hey, how were the Kills at that show?

Edited by zepscoda

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"I am against Halloween, it is an evil, satanic holiday and I believe it should be against the law and all who participate executed..."

At least that is what the Jehovah's Witness lady told me and my step-daughter a few years back when we knocked on her door Halloween night. You should have seen the look on my daughters face, better yet you should have seen the look on the JW's face when my daughter, politely said, "Then why did you open the door?"

Thank god we did not get a Scientologist, little missy would not have had a retort for, "Xenu will damn you when he exiles you two to planet Epsilon Minor for your horrible costume choices."

"I am against Halloween, it is an evil, satanic holiday and I believe it should be against the law and all who participate executed..."

At least that is what the Jehovah's Witness lady told me and my step-daughter a few years back when we knocked on her door Halloween night. You should have seen the look on my daughters face, better yet you should have seen the look on the JW's face when my daughter, politely said, "Then why did you open the door?"

Thank god we did not get a Scientologist, little missy would not have had a retort for, "Xenu will damn you when he exiles you two to planet Epsilon Minor for your horrible costume choices."

Halloween / All Hallows Eve / Samhain is in fact an evil pagan and satanically inspired tradition. But since so are Jehovah's Witnesses the JW woman's complaint is just comically ironic.

in my opinion ;)

Halloween / All Hallows Eve / Samhain is in fact an evil pagan and satanically inspired tradition. But since so are Jehovah's Witnesses the JW woman's complaint is just comically ironic.

in my opinion ;)

Actually LIVIN, Samhain, or the Fall Festival is an ancient practice which goes back thousands of years, there is nothing satanic about it, In fact, All Saints' Day which the church put in it's place (Samhain was actually celebrated from sundown on the 31st until sundown on November 1st) is essentially the same thing, the honoring of those who passed from this world to the next. Of course the church focused on the saints' themselves and not on ordinary people who died as Samhain did. Samhain also was a thanksgiving of sorts for a bountiful harvest and the time when livestock were butchered for the winter season.

So, despite catholic propaganda, Samhain never involved human sacrifice or any other nonsense. The closest comparison would be in Shintoism (Japanese) and the honoring of ones ancestors.