Feb 3 Jimmy Page Promises 'Quite Different' Direction With New Music

Megalodon

FWIW, both Page and Plant have excellent reasons to want to/ not want to play together again. I must mention as a 

musician that certain magnetic combinations of musicians can send a given musician to a height just not attained with

others. Jimmy's problem(likely) without Robert: I would be amazed if I ever read that in the Firm Jimmy ever said Paul

Rodgers while on stage with him greatly inspired his playing. Jimmy liked his voice a lot, but a bronze medal, that's all.

And even though I feel Robert hasn't really done much for me since 2000, It is impossible to ignore that in the Un-ledded

tour and the 98' P/P tour, inevitably the set lists eventually turned mainly Zep. I do actually think if Jimmy worked

hard on an album of originals, Robert may be interested, but Jimmy has not really been able to leave the Zep mentality

behind, and Plant understandably wants no reggression. Plus Plant wants all the control anyway. In many ways this

whole  matter is so stupid, Zep and even Plant( even though post 2000, not my cup of tea) were about change and 

innovation, and if Page really worked up some amazing(but not Zep-type stuff) Robert might just think about it.

In the latest TBL roundup:

So what’s in store for 2017?

The aforementioned ambitious opera project John Paul Jones has been working on for over four years should come to fruition in 2017.  Expect a Robert Plant and The Sensational Spaceshifters album at some point and more touring activity. As for Jimmy Page, a release of his Yardbirds era recordings  looks set to appear, as for anything else, we will shall see what unfolds  – as I’ve noted before , as far I am concerned, the man owes us nothing.

Talk about toeing the party line...

2 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

The aforementioned ambitious opera project John Paul Jones has been working on for over four years should come to fruition in 2017.  Expect a Robert Plant and The Sensational Spaceshifters album at some point and more touring activity. As for Jimmy Page, a release of his Yardbirds era recordings  looks set to appear, as for anything else, we will shall see what unfolds  – as I’ve noted before , as far I am concerned, the man owes us nothing.

End of year chroniclers opting to ask "What's in store for 2017?" instead of "What were the highlights of 2016?" says it all, really.   

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, duojet said:

Being born in the late 80s, it's a huge bummer that I don't think I will ever see Jimmy Page play a guitar live. I saw Robert 2 years ago, and it was very good for what he was doing.

No, you won't.

What's really amazing is aside from the 02 show essentially no one under the age of 30 has ever seen him deliver a concert length performance.

On 12/28/2016 at 11:12 PM, Boleskinner said:

There is no Oprah, Kiddo.  That was a Joke made by JPJ.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this self- management has led( no pun intended) Jimmy into some rather cheesy and quite negatively received

behaviors or projects. Supposedly Jimmy had some management for the Outrider thing, but If remember right

he either fired them or didn't listen to them much. May have been Phil Carson in the main, correct me if I'm wrong.

Funny about JPJ with the Opera, but actually he may competent to handle such a project. The thing with Page never

being truthful about the future has turned comical yet a bit sad. But Page was such a musical giant that fans (some)

simply can't dispose his words, again his Zep works were almost mythical at times. No one would put up with his 

nonsense if he was the guitarist in Firefall, or in White Lion. Not perfect analogies, but the point is made.

On 2/14/2017 at 1:04 PM, jasonlovesvids said:

Does anyone know who manages Jimmy now? 

He is under self-management. 

47 minutes ago, Mithril46 said:

Supposedly Jimmy had some management for the Outrider thing, but If remember right he either fired them or didn't listen to them much. May have been Phil Carson in the main, correct me if I'm wrong.

Brian Goode was his manager during the Outrider era. Phil Carlo (not Phil Carson) was Bad Company's tour manager who was brought in for Led Zeppelin's 1980 tour, along with Billy Francis from Rod Stewart's organization. Carlo then served as Jimmy's tour manager during The Firm era.

3 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Being self-managed is another indication that he's not doing, or planning to do much.

It seems that his buddy Ross Haflin seems to act as his travelling companion/pseudo-manager.

We all saw how that went in Tokyo.

Pearl Harbour got better PR.

Yep, Ross is kinda like Jimmy's Steve Bannon. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2016 at 9:20 PM, Mithril46 said:

FWIW, both Page and Plant have excellent reasons to want to/ not want to play together again. I must mention as a 

musician that certain magnetic combinations of musicians can send a given musician to a height just not attained with

others. Jimmy's problem(likely) without Robert: I would be amazed if I ever read that in the Firm Jimmy ever said Paul

Rodgers while on stage with him greatly inspired his playing. Jimmy liked his voice a lot, but a bronze medal, that's all.

And even though I feel Robert hasn't really done much for me since 2000, It is impossible to ignore that in the Un-ledded

tour and the 98' P/P tour, inevitably the set lists eventually turned mainly Zep. I do actually think if Jimmy worked

hard on an album of originals, Robert may be interested, but Jimmy has not really been able to leave the Zep mentality

behind, and Plant understandably wants no reggression. Plus Plant wants all the control anyway. In many ways this

whole  matter is so stupid, Zep and even Plant( even though post 2000, not my cup of tea) were about change and 

innovation, and if Page really worked up some amazing(but not Zep-type stuff) Robert might just think about it.

Plant wants no regression so his live shows are 75% Zep songs.....he's actually prostituting Zeppelin in my opinion. 

Well, maybe a slight exaggeration, but basically right. Half the Zeppers are done in different arrangements, but since

I haven't heard any of those versions being worthwhile , what's the point ?? Sorry Plant solo fans, I was aboard including

"Fate of Nations". Robert also puts a stick in Jimmy's eye when he uses guitarists who Jimmy could outplay with one

hand behind his back. Actually this whole topic gets irritating, being that Plant is on Saturn, Jones on Mars, and Jimmy

on Pluto. So far away he might as well be in some other universe.

9 hours ago, percyandpagey said:

I really hope Jimmy finally releases some new material! I really hope he starts touring eventually.

My advice is don't get your hopes up.

I think he's pretty much done.

Which is fine by me, he's in his 70s now. 

But please Jimmy, don't ever say "Next year I'm planning to play live again..." 

It's now beyond embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Boleskinner said:

My advice is don't get your hopes up.

I think he's pretty much done.

Which is fine by me, he's in his 70s now. 

But please Jimmy, don't ever say "Next year I'm planning to play live again..." 

It's now beyond embarrassing.

Yes that's what I've gathered unfortunately from this forum :( Hadn't realized he'd been promising this for so long! Also I thought perhaps there was a better chance since he's done rereleasing materials.

On 3/22/2017 at 7:18 PM, Mithril46 said:

Robert also puts a stick in Jimmy's eye when he uses guitarists who Jimmy could outplay with one

hand behind his back.

Hmm, I think Doug Boyle was a damn fine player who could easily hold his own with Jimmy, Beck, or any of the greats.

Archived