Zeppelin Led

Keith Richards has bitched about Zeppelin (he wasn't a big Robert Plant fan, IIRC), but obviously he likes Jimmy, considering Keith, Jimmy and Woody collaborated on a tune back in the 70's ("Scarlet") and Page plays on a track or two on the Stones' Dirty Work album ("One Hit To The Body", where he plays the solos, and "Back To Zero", where he lays down some very Firmish licks)

The Glimmer Twins joining Zeppelin for an encore on June 14 would have been innaresting, rumour or not...

Hey Nutrocker, do you know what the No Quarter jam was on 6/26/77? Just curious.

Same kinda 'shuffle' as on June 25 and 27th, closer in style to the June 27th jam.

Are you trying to tell me there would actually be some sort of interest in a compilation of all the available "No Quarter Boogie Jams"? :lol: It'd take a while to lash together, but it could be done...I'd never share it online among the masses, but as a project for all the '77/"No Quarter" freaks...possibly...

Same kinda 'shuffle' as on June 25 and 27th, closer in style to the June 27th jam.

Are you trying to tell me there would actually be some sort of interest in a compilation of all the available "No Quarter Boogie Jams"? :lol: It'd take a while to lash together, but it could be done...I'd never share it online among the masses, but as a project for all the '77/"No Quarter" freaks...possibly...

Oh a "shuffle"? Untitled then? Shoot I was hoping it was a cover. And while I wasn't thinking of that, that compilation idea is pretty good. That should definitely be done.

Also, I'm sure this question has been asked 1001 times, but I forgot, why is there a huge gap in Mike's tape during 6/21/77's TYG?

Tape flip. He was recording on cassettes not reel-to-reel.

My original tape I got from ZOSO magazine in the 80"s fades out and back in missing about a half minute. But the discs I picked up a couple of years ago fills in approx. 10-15 missing seconds with another source to make it complete.

I know this is gonna sound random, but if they were gonna play something catchy and light-hearted like Nutrocker during No Quarter; I think it'd be cool if they had played Soulful Strut in No Quarter as well. And I think it would've been more audience friendly. I know everybody would recognize that tune even today.

Are you trying to tell me there would actually be some sort of interest in a compilation of all the available "No Quarter Boogie Jams"? :lol: It'd take a while to lash together, but it could be done...

...And I've gone ahead and done it; makes for some innaresting listening (PM if you would like a copy of the compilation)

I know this is gonna sound random, but if they were gonna play something catchy and light-hearted like Nutrocker during No Quarter; I think it'd be cool if they had played Soulful Strut in No Quarter as well. And I think it would've been more audience friendly. I know everybody would recognize that tune even today.

(full disclosure: I can't say I'd ever heard "Soulful Strut" before until I just looked it up on YouTube right now...)

I really don't think that would have worked as a Boogie Jam, at least with just piano, bass pedals, guitar and drums.

Zeppelin's original intention was to do the "Nutrocker" every time; JPJ wanted to keep the jam different from night to night instead- although it seems to me they basically play variations on the same theme in OKC and all four nights in Chicago. I mean, they're just about identical from night to night. I would bet opening night in Dallas either got a "Nutrocker" or the same kind of jam played in Chicago.

The one Boogie Jam that really sticks out as being totally different is May 25; that's one variation that they only seemed to play the one time (aside from the Nutrockers, shuffles, or fast stompers), and it's one of the most interesting sounding of all.

...And I've gone ahead and done it; makes for some innaresting listening (PM if you would like a copy of the compilation)

(full disclosure: I can't say I'd ever heard "Soulful Strut" before until I just looked it up on YouTube right now...)

I really don't think that would have worked as a Boogie Jam, at least with just piano, bass pedals, guitar and drums.

Zeppelin's original intention was to do the "Nutrocker" every time; JPJ wanted to keep the jam different from night to night instead- although it seems to me they basically play variations on the same theme in OKC and all four nights in Chicago. I mean, they're just about identical from night to night. I would bet opening night in Dallas either got a "Nutrocker" or the same kind of jam played in Chicago.

The one Boogie Jam that really sticks out as being totally different is May 25; that's one variation that they only seemed to play the one time (aside from the Nutrockers, shuffles, or fast stompers), and it's one of the most interesting sounding of all.

Haha my bad. They play Soulful Strut on an daily basis on the 'oldies' stations out here in Southern California; so I assumed it was the same elsewhere. But after going over the melody in my head, I suppose I have to agree with you; it really isn't the same thing as a Nutrocker or those 'New Orleans shuffles'. Considering No Quarter at the OKC Myriad is barely 20 mins, I'm assuming the confidence level wasn't too high on those early tour No Quarters (although the band definately seems glad to be back in action). I'm not a big fan of the Landover run with the exception of the fourth night, but I will have to give the jam on the 25th a listen when I get a chance.

And to change the subject briefly, does anybody know the setlist at the Dallas show? I know I've heard somewhere that Black Dog & Rock And Roll were both played as encores, but I had also heard that Trampled Under Foot was played between Achilles and Stairway (which is an odd placement) but I've seen that mentioned several times online.

Considering No Quarter at the OKC Myriad is barely 20 mins, I'm assuming the confidence level wasn't too high on those early tour No Quarters (although the band definately seems glad to be back in action). I'm not a big fan of the Landover run with the exception of the fourth night, but I will have to give the jam on the 25th a listen when I get a chance.

And to change the subject briefly, does anybody know the setlist at the Dallas show? I know I've heard somewhere that Black Dog & Rock And Roll were both played as encores, but I had also heard that Trampled Under Foot was played between Achilles and Stairway (which is an odd placement) but I've seen that mentioned several times online.

Dave Lewis' Concert File lists standard '77 setlist for Dallas, minus TUF but with the "Black Dog"/"Rock And Roll" encores. That's one of the 'missing seven' '77 shows I'd be curious to hear- either it was a triumph or a total fucking disaster, being the first gig after two years, etc...Oklahoma City is pretty shaky, like a live rehearsal almost. "No Quarter" was only around twenty minutes at the Chicago shows as well, which is about the perfect length for that song IMO (Jimmy's big solo really starts to meander on some of those half hour New York/L.A. NQ's)

Dave Lewis' Concert File lists standard '77 setlist for Dallas, minus TUF but with the "Black Dog"/"Rock And Roll" encores. That's one of the 'missing seven' '77 shows I'd be curious to hear- either it was a triumph or a total fucking disaster, being the first gig after two years, etc...Oklahoma City is pretty shaky, like a live rehearsal almost. "No Quarter" was only around twenty minutes at the Chicago shows as well, which is about the perfect length for that song IMO (Jimmy's big solo really starts to meander on some of those half hour New York/L.A. NQ's)

That's what they were at St. Paul 1977. I've heard personal accounts of that. I've also read that it was one of the best shows of the tour.

The Dallas setlist was as follows:

"The Song Remains the Same"

"The Rover intro-Sick Again"

"Nobody's Fault but Mine"

"In My Time of Dying"

"Since I've Been Loving You"

"No Quarter"

"Ten Years Gone"

"Battle of Evermore"

"Going to California"

"Black Country Woman"

"Bron-y-aur Stomp"

"White Summer/Black Mountainside"

"Kashmir"

"Over the Top/Moby Dick"

Jimmy's solo

"Achilles Last Stand"

"Stairway to Heaven"

Encores:

"Black Dog"

"Rock and Roll"

I don't BELIEVE that at all. Knowing how the Glimmer Twins felt about Led Zeppelin, the idea is preposterous that Mick and Keef would consider Zeppelin their "equals" and be subservient and share the stage with them. Everybody's buddy Ronnie Wood or Keith Moon...yes. But not aristocratic jet-setter Mick.

As for whether there was a second encore on May 30, 1977 Landover...didn't Rick aka LedZeppFan77 go to this gig? He should be able to provide the answer...unless he was one of those types to leave early to "beat the traffic".

Strider I do agree but are you going to tell me you've never heard that Rumor?

The Dallas setlist was as follows:

"The Song Remains the Same"

"The Rover intro-Sick Again"

"Nobody's Fault but Mine"

"In My Time of Dying"

"Since I've Been Loving You"

"No Quarter"

"Ten Years Gone"

"Battle of Evermore"

"Going to California"

"Black Country Woman"

"Bron-y-aur Stomp"

"White Summer/Black Mountainside"

"Kashmir"

"Over the Top/Moby Dick"

Jimmy's solo

"Achilles Last Stand"

"Stairway to Heaven"

Encores:

"Black Dog"

"Rock and Roll"

Alright thanks! I think it'd be interesting to know what the intro was for Black Dog, considering they were using Out On The Tiles for Over The Top.

I've heard other people refer to OKC as a live rehearsal as well, and I don't blame them haha.

Alright thanks! I think it'd be interesting to know what the intro was for Black Dog, considering they were using Out On The Tiles for Over The Top.

That is an interesting question. I wonder if they did a true Moby Dick and then used the OOTT intro for Black Dog. As Nutrocker says, I hope we get the answers from the missing shows of '77. I would also like for the St. Paul show performance level to be solved once and for all also....

I am certainly no expert, nor have I dessceted every performance from 77'. I have done my fair share of reading and following the band throughout the years and fortunate enough to see Zeppelin perform 3 times in Seattle 73', 75' and 77'. Looking back, each show declined a bit likely due to extra curricular activities; namely drugs. The 77' tour was very erratic; performences often lacking, rambling and as Jonsey once said "We just forgot about the music" I believe the tour would have been much better if they had done what they did in 1980; that is scaling down the set. 77 would have worked much better without the 30+ minute drum, piano and guitar solos. I remember the 77 Kingdome show when Page was scrating his guitar for 45 minutes there were a ton of fans out in the concourse bs'ing , taking a leak and seemingly just waiting for the music to begin again. Just my opinion. It was what it was and I am just thankful I discovered this band back in the earlly early 70's. I do believe their best years! Just remember the good times and the joy the music has brought to you and try not to take it all too serious.

Your last sentence should be read by everyone lol....I love the Zeps and thought I was a huge fan until I joined this site and read some of the stuff on here. I am not trying to judge anyone in particular, but I guess I am when I read how some peoples lives have been consumed by so much minutia...they kinda take the fun out of my favorite band sometimes.....again, you nailed it for me in your last sentence......I never saw them live, just a little too young , but their albums are all so incredible. Good for you for seeing them 3 different times no matter what...I'll continue to not take them too serious and keep them with me during the good time and the bad too....cheers, Rich.

That is an interesting question. I wonder if they did a true Moby Dick and then used the OOTT intro for Black Dog. As Nutrocker says, I hope we get the answers from the missing shows of '77. I would also like for the St. Paul show performance level to be solved once and for all also....

Based on the "Black Dog"'s from June 13 and July 23rd, they just went with a cold intro; Jimmy hits a note and off into the tune they go; presumably it was done this was on the other '77 occasions as well.

Your last sentence should be read by everyone lol....I love the Zeps and thought I was a huge fan until I joined this site and read some of the stuff on here. I am not trying to judge anyone in particular, but I guess I am when I read how some peoples lives have been consumed by so much minutia...they kinda take the fun out of my favorite band sometimes.....again, you nailed it for me in your last sentence......I never saw them live, just a little too young , but their albums are all so incredible. Good for you for seeing them 3 different times no matter what...I'll continue to not take them too serious and keep them with me during the good time and the bad too....cheers, Rich.

Hey, Rich, you think we obsess over minutae here (and I'm well aware I'm probably one of the guiltier parties), you should check out the Royal Orleans site if you really want to see a bunch of Zeppelin obsessives :lol:

Based on the "Black Dog"'s from June 13 and July 23rd, they just went with a cold intro; Jimmy hits a note and off into the tune they go; presumably it was done this was on the other '77 occasions as well.

Hey, Rich, you think we obsess over minutae here (and I'm well aware I'm probably one of the guiltier parties), you should check out the Royal Orleans site if you really want to see a bunch of Zeppelin obsessives :lol:

Will check it out for sure.....thanks for taking my thoughts with a grain of salt....there was no harm meant.....I have been amazed by the knowledge and passion that some of the fans have......cheers

...10 mins later...............just got back from Royal Orleans site....wow!....you are right.....I'll be checking that out from time to time.....cheers again....

Archived