Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SteveAJones

Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

As far as Deep Purple and any members of Led Zeppelin, I'm pretty sure I remember reading some years back that Page & Plant were asked by Deep Purple (current lineup) to join them on stage for a song at one of their concerts on the spur of the moment, but they declined. Isn't this correct?

Sorry, I have no recollection of that at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SAJ - Has it ever come up why Robert Plant was so against the medley and jam in Whole Lotta Love in LZ's latter years?

Of all the excesses that a Led Zeppelin live could have, I never thought this was one of them. I never thought it grew stale unlike the D&C jam, nor did it go on too long and be the bloated excess that No Quarter, Moby Dick and WS/BM and noise solo often were. I thought it paid homage to their influences in a very joyful way and really highlighted what an unstoppable unit they were on stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Where is the 1977 Opryland Productions video camera photo from? The Seattle '77 camera has a different logo from what I can tell, other photos show no logo on the Seattle cameras, so I'm guessing its one from Pontiac? :huh: Surely they weren't all handhelds for a gig of such magnitude. Both of the ones below show a rectangular logo, no curved line or mandolin like Opryland's. Worth noting Jimmy is on his knees in the first shot in question, which is why it looks odd.

 

goodoleopry.jpg

seattle_preshow.jpg

seattle_midshow.jpg

seattle_kashmir.jpg

Edited by Dirty Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks! Never seen that one, good stuff man.

Edited by Dirty Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2017 at 9:21 AM, Dallas Knebs said:

SAJ

you have anything on this please?  Thank you.

 

jb.jpg

I seem to recall reading that Bonzo saw a mini drum kit while on the road, in a store front ...maybe Toronto?  He bought it for Jason. Though judging from the laundry hanging up, who knows where the hell that pic was taken! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes think its a small set he bought. Idk but I hurd it.

Few more to confirm the Seattle or Pontiac photos, two more I haven't seen until recently.

And one conspiracy theory, 8/7/71 ;), which is most likely an optical allusion and not a video camera, BUT other photos show the guy with what kinda looks like a large camera, and he's in almost every other photo from that show. I bet he has some amazing photographs. Besides theres rumors of 1970 and 1971 Montreux being recorded. ^_^

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I seem to recall reading that Bonzo saw a mini drum kit while on the road, in a store front ...maybe Toronto?  He bought it for Jason. Though judging from the laundry hanging up, who knows where the hell that pic was taken! 

I'd say back garden of Bonzo's place in West Hagley, before he moved to Old hyde farm. The drying rags are probably what he used to clean the bike. The pic has a very 1970/ 1971 look about it.

OT, but looks like he's using a matched grip?!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I seem to recall reading that Bonzo saw a mini drum kit while on the road, in a store front ...maybe Toronto?  He bought it for Jason. Though judging from the laundry hanging up, who knows where the hell that pic was taken! 

In the Timeline:
http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/november-2-1969

While in Toronto, John Bonham picks up a miniature set of drums for his three year old son Jason: "I've bought him a great set of miniature drums. It's an absolutely perfect replica down to the bass drum pedal and hi-hat. Even I can play them. They are Japanese made and I saw them in a shop in Toronto. They weren't really for sale and were just on display. But I offered them a hundred dollars and bought them." (M.M., Dec. 1969)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 76229 said:

I'd say back garden of Bonzo's place in West Hagley, before he moved to Old hyde farm. The drying rags are probably what he used to clean the bike. The pic has a very 1970/ 1971 look about it.

OT, but looks like he's using a matched grip?!

 

It's traditional grip he's using and to my eyes that looks like a 1972 hair cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Mook said:

It's traditional grip he's using and to my eyes that looks like a 1972 hair cut.

Actually, it's quite possibly a February '70 haircut & beard.

Image result for john bonham june 1970
Edited by Mook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2017 at 10:21 AM, Dallas Knebs said:

SAJ

you have anything on this please?  Thank you.

 

jb.jpg

 

 

The band were each photographed at their homes in January 1970. These first appeared in Bravo magazine (Germany) in the March 1970 issue.

bravo70-zepathome_0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta love that pic of Plant on his bike with Strider on his lap. "Der Zeppelin ist explodiert!" Never a truer word spoken!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2017 at 6:12 AM, tyler19 said:

SAJ - Has it ever come up why Robert Plant was so against the medley and jam in Whole Lotta Love in LZ's latter years?

Of all the excesses that a Led Zeppelin live could have, I never thought this was one of them. I never thought it grew stale unlike the D&C jam, nor did it go on too long and be the bloated excess that No Quarter, Moby Dick and WS/BM and noise solo often were. I thought it paid homage to their influences in a very joyful way and really highlighted what an unstoppable unit they were on stage.

There was still a fair amount of jamming during Whole Lotta Love on the last tour.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 76229 said:

I'd say back garden of Bonzo's place in West Hagley, before he moved to Old Hyde Farm.

Agreed, and I show the Bonham's celebrated Christmas 1969 there the month prior (shortly after moving in).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

It's an absolutely perfect replica down to the bass drum pedal and hi-hat.

no hi hat in the pics...Where is it, Bonzo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

no hi hat in the pics...Where is it, Bonzo?

Not sure. Here's screenshots of Jason playing the kit... no hi hat either. 

jasonbonham_drums.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta be the same kit though, right? There's not two?

(great shots of Jason playing it btw)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little did John Bonham know, may he rest in peace, that buying that kit for Jason at such a young age, and any lessons he may have given him at a young age, would be the #1 reason Led Zeppelin would reunite in 2007 with Jason on drums. Putting on a spectacular performance, even by Zeppelin's high standards. Theres no mystery about that one, folks. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a Zeppelin mystery to me, and I'm sure many others, but what is the "horizontal lines" effect that happens with Earls Court, Knebworth, and Seattle '77 screen footage? All shows with screens present showing the video feed seem to have this, others with film cameras don't. Its briefly explained in the official 2003 DVD booklet, but doesn't make much sense to me. Is it along the lines of how a garage band can blow the breaker by playing loud, not always loud, but some notes/deep bass notes pull lots of power from the electric company? Hell if I know. I know I've blown a few breakers in my lifetime. Anyone who can explain this phenomenon would be greatly appreciated. Just gets my curiosity. The lines never have bothered me, or made any Zeppelin video less enjoyable, but I've wondered why... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2017 at 10:59 AM, Dirty Work said:

Its a Zeppelin mystery to me, and I'm sure many others, but what is the "horizontal lines" effect that happens with Earls Court, Knebworth, and Seattle '77 screen footage? All shows with screens present showing the video feed seem to have this, others with film cameras don't. Its briefly explained in the official 2003 DVD booklet, but doesn't make much sense to me. Is it along the lines of how a garage band can blow the breaker by playing loud, not always loud, but some notes/deep bass notes pull lots of power from the electric company? Hell if I know. I know I've blown a few breakers in my lifetime. Anyone who can explain this phenomenon would be greatly appreciated. Just gets my curiosity. The lines never have bothered me, or made any Zeppelin video less enjoyable, but I've wondered why... :)

What is the explanation provided in the booklet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know, strange question, but a lot of Zeppelin's videos have them. I lost my booklet but by memory it says something similar to my original post? In the section talking about baking their film at 70-something degrees and all that. Weird stuff for a booklet, but got my curiosity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×