David Coverdale....

jmorton

It's quite amazing. I've been looking through these old youtube video's and it's quite striking how different ole Cov was back in the 70's and early 80's....I had forgotten...

I love them man...he's a friend...but I'm starting to see what people are talking about when they hear David now. Two different things...

Check these out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nhb0vbUtB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12BeEpb77gs

Looking at these makes me appreciate David's solo ventures and early Whitesnake more. The music scene back then wasn't exactly friendly to blues rock bands....especially in the UK and particularly for someone who came out of Deep Purple

Wonderful stuff. David in the good old days. I saw Whitesnake last June and it was sad to hear him screeching rather than singing. I couldn't help but hark back to the glory era by banging Live...In The Heart of The City on the CD player the next day. B)

Wonderful stuff. David in the good old days. I saw Whitesnake last June and it was sad to hear him screeching rather than singing. I couldn't help but hark back to the glory era by banging Live...In The Heart of The City on the CD player the next day. B)

I couldn't agree more. His voice is gone. It's sad too because his voice was so powerful back in the good old days.

I've been hearing rumblings that he's going to add many more acoustic songs to his set now. I'll believe it when I see it though.

He was one of the absolutely most amazing rock singers of the last century (aw, the golden Deep Purple times...and the early Whitesnake...*dreams*)...but the Whitesnake concert in november was such a disappointment for me. He didn't sing well...it was all only special effects and posing, plus you could see he wasn't doing it because of the fun, only because of fame and money (what a difference were Deep Purple, they are still great and entertaining)...

I'll remember him as he was in the 70s and 80...a blond rock god ;- )

It's quite amazing. I've been looking through these old youtube video's and it's quite striking how different ole Cov was back in the 70's and early 80's....I had forgotten...

I love them man...he's a friend...but I'm starting to see what people are talking about when they hear David now. Two different things...

Check these out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nhb0vbUtB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12BeEpb77gs

Looking at these makes me appreciate David's solo ventures and early Whitesnake more. The music scene back then wasn't exactly friendly to blues rock bands....especially in the UK and particularly for someone who came out of Deep Purple

Great clips JM - it is amazing to listen to them and think of how incredible a singer he was as well as how much more earthy Whitesnake was in their early days.

Great clips JM - it is amazing to listen to them and think of how incredible a singer he was as well as how much more earthy Whitesnake was in their early days.

It is. And I also forgot what a great live band they were back then. It's tragic to think that a good band like this would never get noticed in the States during the late 70's...to think they were scoring top 10 hits with albums in the UK, Europe and Japan during this time and they didn't even sniff the American charts.

It is. And I also forgot what a great live band they were back then. It's tragic to think that a good band like this would never get noticed in the States during the late 70's...to think they were scoring top 10 hits with albums in the UK, Europe and Japan during this time and they didn't even sniff the American charts.

I never saw them live. First I originally knew of them was their MTV days which clearly was not their finest hour IMO. I don't know why they weren't noticed here in their early days.

Blimey I saw this thread title and I thought the old bugger had popped his clogs.

Marvellous footage of back in the days when he used to wear his mum's curtains. Fantastic band and singer back in the day - it all went wrong about 1984 IMHO.

I had a recent-ish photo of him on my Facebook and a mate captioned it "Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be Krystle Carrington"

:lol:

Blimey I saw this thread title and I thought the old bugger had popped his clogs.

Marvellous footage of back in the days when he used to wear his mum's curtains. Fantastic band and singer back in the day - it all went wrong about 1984 IMHO.

I had a recent-ish photo of him on my Facebook and a mate captioned it "Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be Krystle Carrington"

Lmao

After I wrote that I was thought "oh god....someones gonna think he's whipped his bales" but it was too late. :lol:

I realized that between 1973 and 1984 he was a fantastic bluesy singer....who tried to be Wilson Pickett and loved a bit of scotch n' coke.

"One day I'll choke

on my whiskey and coke

an' sure nuff put the blame on you..."

Here's another one from Roger Glover's Butterfly Ball....good song...silly video...1975 methinks

Yeah and it was probably the music from around that time which was my first introduction and needless to say, I was not impressed. Shame to think of how great he/they sounded in the early days.

You guys can complain all you want, but I still think "Whitesnke" (1987), Slip Of The Tongue and The new album are amazing.

And his voice doesn't sound shot to me, at least on the new album.

The new album is ok in spots. Till the End of Time is a good song....so is Got What You Need (reminds me of early snake)

but over all....David's voice is quite sketchy. He needs to concentrate on stuff that doesn't hurt his voice so much. He had such a BIG voice back in the old days. Very powerful.

If Cov brings in down a notch and starts acting his age (he and Robert are very close in age) he will be able to perform for quite some time.

The new album is ok in spots. Till the End of Time is a good song....so is Got What You Need (reminds me of early snake)

but over all....David's voice is quite sketchy. He needs to concentrate on stuff that doesn't hurt his voice so much. He had such a BIG voice back in the old days. Very powerful.

If Cov brings in down a notch and starts acting his age (he and Robert are very close in age) he will be able to perform for quite some time.

Yeah - there are a few tracks on the new album that are pretty good but much of it still has that 80s hair band sound IMO.

I like the 79 - 82 lineup of Whitesnake the most with 3 the ex-Deep purple members in the band. My favourite Whitesnake album is Ready an' Willing, I don't think there's a bad track on it. I love "She's A Woman": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-S-6z5BZOc

They were such a good band back then and most people don't have a clue and judge them on the later commercial stuff.

Yeah - there are a few tracks on the new album that are pretty good but much of it still has that 80s hair band sound IMO.

Yeah, and that's the worst thing about it. The thing is, Coverdale still knows how to write a good tune, but he's just like Rod Stewart when it comes to having any clues about what sound to use. No clues at all, that is!

Archived