The '68 Shows

SickTangerine

Hi all!

I was wondering, are there any other known recordings asides from the Spokane one from December 30th, from the 1968 shows by Led Zeppelin??

I am currently obsessed with ealry Led Zepp stuff, and even though I don't think there is any existence of recordings that early, it doesn't hurt to be optimistic. :P

Hi all!

I was wondering, are there any other known recordings asides from the Spokane one from December 30th, from the 1968 shows by Led Zeppelin??

I am currently obsessed with ealry Led Zepp stuff, and even though I don't think there is any existence of recordings that early, it doesn't hurt to be optimistic. :P

I agree. I would love to have some stuff from 1968, other than Spokane, but I have never seen or heard of anything. I would imagine there would be next to no audience recordings, as Zep were only beginning to build their reputation. I still hold out hope for some recordings somewhere from '68 might eventually see the light of day, as fait as it is.

I also hold out hope that with today's technology, that someone can make the Spokane show better sounding.

There is some report saying that Denver show from 26th December was taped and is now hoarding but these statements should be keeping with a big caution. Also there is some chances to find something either from Marquee and Roundhouse where Led Zeppelin played few times during their UK debut. Many shows from those places were taped by people (ie. Ten Years After, Cream, Black Cat Bones etc.).

There is some report saying that Denver show from 26th December was taped and is now hoarding but these statements should be keeping with a big caution. Also there is some chances to find something either from Marquee and Roundhouse where Led Zeppelin played few times during their UK debut. Many shows from those places were taped by people (ie. Ten Years After, Cream, Black Cat Bones etc.).

Thanks for the insight. I'll keep my eyes open for something. I had given up hope in the last year or so, but I think I'll keep looking. Thanks

:D

Yes, I've heard rumors about at least 4 more 68' tapes existing, mainly taped by club owners etc.

And, this might sound a bit off, but I wouldn't be surprised if a tape from the first show exists, it was a quite significant event for Page, why wouldn't he bring a recorder with him?

• 2 weeks later...
HAAALT!

I found lots of proof of early 1968 shows by LZ under the New Yarbirds Moniker!

http://hopelesound.net/2009/02/new-yardbir...es-bootleg.html

There are other states that claim it's existence...now I just need to FIND it

I got it! I don't think I am allowed to post links though

Don{t believe in anything you see, it could be a hoax, and if it was a commercial boot, we would have known about that for some time.

But if what you found exists, it will be the biggest LZ bootleg news since some years ago.

Ohh, and the DL links are dead.

It seems pretty authentic to me, I can PM you the link and you can check it out

Also, if you google "London Blues bootleg new yardbirds", you should be able to get more info on other sites, (that's what I meant by lots of info, that one site I posted a link too is pretty lame)

I've recieved info from a source that the dates are wrong, and it is probably from 69 - 70 :( You could still give it a shot though

Hi there - please could someone let me know what the quality of the Spokane show is like before I look for it to download? I'm hoping it might be a soundboard or of similar quality.

I'm looking for examples of early Zeppelin because I've heard that Robert's voice was absolutely incredible back then. I've always thought he had an amazing voice, but I've heard people say that he damaged it quite early on in his career with Zeppelin.

All I can say is, if what he did subsequently was with a damaged voice, it must have been beyond awesome in the early days!

Thanks! :beer:

I really can't remember where I read it(some bio or the concert file most likely) but Grant is sposed to have recorded a few early shows to play for promoters, if thats true then Page may well have some at least decent quality 68 stuff in the vault.

I am able to confirm this is a hoax.

The first tracks seem to be from the 1969 Danish radio broadcast a lot of folks here know.

As for the second one, it is not from 1968, a few facts such as no accompaniment during the Bow solo in dazed & confused, the set-list itself and HMMT, I'll try to narrow it down to some date, but it's not from 1968. At least post March 1969.

Other tell-away fact is the use of echo by Page.

For now, my suspicion is that it comes from a San Francisco Winterland show.

Listening more, it seems to mix up a more than 3 sources.

Well, it has The Lemon Song, complete with cool intro, so that should narrow it down. I'm thinking possibly Jan 10th, Fillmore West?

It's hard since it all is just a colossal mix of sources.

As fro D&C, it might be form the May Fillmore show.

Not enough it was sourced from March 14th, 1969 and April 26th, 1969 but they are shitty MP3! Stay away from it as far as you can. A shit alert here!

Yeah, I knew at least parts of it were from April 26th, thanks for confirming the other date. The rest is from March 16th 1969.

Case Closed.

I'm not really THAT interested in an earlier 68 show personally unless it has some rare tracks such as GTBT or YTIGC, yes it would be great to hear but I suspect performance wise it wouldnt be as good as what we heard by the start of 69. If were talking eras without recordings then the UK clubs tour of 71 would be higher up for me, debately the band at its very peak and I wouldnt be supprized if they threw in a few rarities in such an intimate enviroment.

I'm not really THAT interested in an earlier 68 show personally unless it has some rare tracks such as GTBT or YTIGC, yes it would be great to hear but I suspect performance wise it wouldnt be as good as what we heard by the start of 69. If were talking eras without recordings then the UK clubs tour of 71 would be higher up for me, debately the band at its very peak and I wouldnt be supprized if they threw in a few rarities in such an intimate enviroment.

Yeah, I believe they must have sounded really disjointed back then, actually these shows may be more important on terms of historical significance alone.

Archived