Dylan & McCartney To Write Together

Jahfin

From Daily Express:

BOB AND MACCA SET TO TEAM UP

103387_1.jpg

SONGWRITERS: Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan will write together in California this summer

Just weeks after Bob Dylan announced he wanted to collaborate with fellow legend Sir Paul McCartney, moves are afoot to bring the two superstars together.

Industry insiders say Macca is set to team up with Dylan in California over the summer, where the pair are expected to work on new songs as a duo.

The news comes after Dylan declared this month that he found the idea of working with the former Beatle “exciting”.

McCartney’s spokesman then declared their man would be “very interested” in a collaboration.

“Paul has a home in California not too far from Bob’s so the idea is for the two to meet when Paul is in California over the summer,” says a well-placed mole.

“They’ll obviously want to work in privacy and it’s felt one of their homes will be the best bet.”

Both men have enjoyed critical and commercial success again of late.

Dylan recently topped the charts with his album Together Through Life, while McCartney’s last release under his musical ater-ego The Fireman was also well-received.

“Getting these two together for any length of time is difficult schedule-wise but they both want this to work out,” we’re told. “The music that comes out of this will be fascinating to hear.”

Edited by Jahfin

I'm as big a Dylan fan as any but I didn't like Together Through Life. I only gave it one listen and it sounded so contrived and poorly thought out.

This duo will probably turn out to be a giant waste of everyone's time. But it could also be quite good.

The Fireman release was brilliant, though. I truly enjoyed that.

I didn't like Together Through Life that much either, although I only heard it once, maybe it was a bit disappointing after the great Modern times. The Fireman album was great, same as McCartney two previous albums Memory almost full and Chaos and creation in the backyard. I think a collaboration between Macca and Dylan could be really great, I just hope Dylan let McCartney sing!

I wasn't that taken with Together Through Life on first listen either but I liked it much better the second time around. I'm not sure I'd put it in the "grower" category but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it either.

I haven't been all that impressed with McCartney's latter output but I have like a song here and there as well as what I've heard from the latest Firemen album.

Who knows if this collaboration will ever even come to fruition but there is definitely some potential there.

I don't care for Paul's recent stuff, and I don't know too much about Dylan but this sounds like an interesting piaring and I hope it turns out great.

Dylan is an amazing songwriter. I would highly recommend checking his music out. His influence on music is endless.

• 2 weeks later...

From Paste:

PAUL MCCARTNEY, BOB DYLAN

AND RINGO STARR PLAN COLLABORATION

dylan_bg.jpg

By Caroline Klibanoff

A collaboration to end all collaborations? Probably not, but this one's awfully notable nonetheless. Sir Paul McCartney, his fellow ex-Beatle Ringo Starr, and Bob Dylan are joining forces to collaborate on new material.

The three musicians—all of whom are in their late 60s—have shared stages before, but never created new music together like this. McCartney recently became interested in working with Dylan, and after Dylan reciprocated, the two decided to move forward with this project. Starr will play drums.

This is the stuff music critics’ dreams are made of, and harkens back to the grandaddy of supergroups, the Traveling Wilburys, which consisted of Dylan, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne. Details are scant otherwise, but expect to hear more about this collaboration soon.

Edited by Jahfin

Talk about a legendary collaboration. I haven't heard any recent Dylan stuff, but I thought Electric Arguments was one of the best Paul albums this decade. The Ringo dynamic is interesting to think about, I just feel like there should be a 4th person.............. I just don't know who.

Talk about a legendary collaboration. I haven't heard any recent Dylan stuff, but I thought Electric Arguments was one of the best Paul albums this decade. The Ringo dynamic is interesting to think about, I just feel like there should be a 4th person.............. I just don't know who.

Jimmy Page? :run:

I don't know how it would play into a collaboration with McCartney and Ringo but Dylan's recent records (at least the last four Time Out of Mind - Together Through Life) are pretty good stuff. Maybe not up there with the peak of his early work but still remarkably well done for someone this far along in his career. It's testament to the fact that the latest installment in his Bootleg series (Tell Tale Signs) stands up to that, especially considering the collection is comprised mainly of outtakes and live recordings from 1989-2006. It only adds to the intrigue that McCartney has done some of his best work in recent years (the Firemen) outside of his usual comfort zone. A collaboration between the three has the potential for greatness or it could be an utter trainwreck. Either way, it's going to be interesting to see what materializes (if anything).

Meh. Three great artists but this will assuredly turn out like the ill-fated Chickenfoot- completely mediocre. Dylan's wrecked voice ruins all of his new material for me.

The musical pedigree of these 3 artists is 100000x the that of Chickenfoot. Also, the level of songwriting is beyond anything Chickenfoot could even dream. My guess is if these 3 do work together, they would write songs and most likely have a good sized session band backing them.

I've thought -page and -mccartney could have made a record that would be really good. i would further bet on a record with -dylan and paul mccartney i guess... cause of the lyrical writing potential. one cant help but to think of the business potential of it bringing more notice to their later records....maybe thats a sign of the times, industry wise. i would love to hear it though, could be really cool. add ringo starr and its more interesting ofcourse... heard his song, -drumming is my madness the other day. you throw some of -ringos simplicity in there and maybe it could be that much better.

The musical pedigree of these 3 artists is 100000x the that of Chickenfoot. Also, the level of songwriting is beyond anything Chickenfoot could even dream. My guess is if these 3 do work together, they would write songs and most likely have a good sized session band backing them.

Lyrics hardly matter when the voice is destroying my earlobes (assuming Dylan does lead). And musical pedigree? Please. I don't mean to trash-talk but all three of these artists are way past their musical prime.

Lyrics hardly matter when the voice is destroying my earlobes (assuming Dylan does lead). And musical pedigree? Please. I don't mean to trash-talk but all three of these artists are way past their musical prime.

Well, the youngest member of Chickenfoot is 47, so they ain't exactly spring chicken. (Pun not initially intended, but I'll leave it) I understand what you're saying, but Chickenfoot reminds me, in ways, of a band like Asia, The Firm or Cactus: a supergroup with a lot of potential based on names, but won't amount to anything near what is expected of them.

As for the lead vocals and Dylan, I agree his voice is rather abrasive on the ears these days, but then again it can add to the music as much as it can take away. I would expect they would share vocal duties between Dylan, Paul and Ringo.

First of all, mentioning an all star arena rock outfit such as Chickenfoot in the same breath as Dylan, McCartney and Ringo is blasphemous at best. I've never been the biggest fan of McCartney or Ringo's solo work but even the worst of it is better than what Chickenshit is liable to produce and that's said with all due respect to Hagar and company. I like some of Sammy's work but I've never been a big fan of his either. Whatever the case, he's never been in the same league as Dylan. His musical talent (or lack thereof) aside, what I most admire about Sammy is his laidback, carefree attitude. As for Dylan's voice, it's always been an acquired taste. Yes, it's even more so now but I think it suits his current work well. Who better to sing such weathered, well worn sounding songs than someone with a weathered, leathery and well worn voice? Considering his last four records have been so well received I definitely wouldn't say he is past his "musical prime". Same for McCartney, particularly the recent Firemen album. Sometimes it takes something out of left field like that to remind us of what a tremendous talent he is still capable of being. Hell, even some of Ringo's recent work hasn't been that bad. I never considered him on a par with his bandmates in the Beatles from a songwriting perspective anyway but I do like a great deal of the work he's done over the years. Who knows what will become of this collaboration between Dylan, McCartney and Ringo? Better not to put the cart before the horse and decide ahead of time that it's going to suck when no one really knows what it will sound like.

As for the lead vocals and Dylan, I agree his voice is rather abrasive on the ears these days, but then again it can add to the music as much as it can take away. I would expect they would share vocal duties between Dylan, Paul and Ringo.

I am watching The Last Waltz on VH1 Classic and Bob Dylan is singing with The Band "Forever Young". His voice is not too bad on this song.

He looks kind of cool in this movie, too. The best he has ever looked, in my opinion.

At times his voice sounds like a nasal-sounding rat singing, lol. :lol:

Forever Young

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

I am watching The Last Waltz on VH1 Classic and Bob Dylan is singing with The Band "Forever Young". His voice is not too bad on this song.

He looks kind of cool in this movie, too. The best he has ever looked, in my opinion.

At times his voice sounds like a nasal-sounding rat singing, lol. :lol:

That's one of the most wonderful and poignant music movies ever.

And Dylan doing Baby Let Me Follow You Down is great. Hell, everybody in that movie's great. Van Morrison, Muddy Waters, Neil Young, Joni, Ronnie Hawkins . . .

(I confess to being a huge longtime Dylan fan, first saw him in 1966.)

That's one of the most wonderful and poignant music movies ever.

And Dylan doing Baby Let Me Follow You Down is great. Hell, everybody in that movie's great. Van Morrison, Muddy Waters, Neil Young, Joni, Ronnie Hawkins . . .

(I confess to being a huge longtime Dylan fan, first saw him in 1966.)

I love this movie, too.

I just saw Ringo playing drums on the final jam with everyone.

Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Neil Young (hanging off of Joni), Eric Clapton, Ron Wood, Dr. John, Neil Diamond, and others I am missing?

Jammin'

More Jammin'

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC