Link Wray

zosodude13

If you're not familiar with Link Wray, you should be.

Link was part of the early rock and roll scene from the mid 1950's. Not nearly as famous as Elvis, Buddy Holley and others, he maybe did more for rock then any of the afformentioned.

A good summary of Link's life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_Wray

Link, for the first time ever in 1958, used distortion on his guitar and recorded the instrumental "Rumble". Here is a recording from the original 45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YtKpiIK0R0

He is a major influence on many artists and specifically guitarists, like Pete Townshend, and here are some quotes from assorted musicians and personalities.

-----------------------

“If I could go back in time and see any band, It would be Link Wray and the Raymen.” – Neil Young

“He is the king, if it hadn’t been for Link Wray and Rumble, I would have never picked up a guitar.” – Pete Townshend

“Rumble is the best instrumental ever.” – Bob Dylan

“Link Wray is the all-time legend.” – Conan O’Brien, T.V. talk show host

“Link Wray and Gene Vincent…. two of the greatest unknowns of rock’n'roll.” – John Lennon

“Though rock historians always like to draw a nice, clean line between the distorted electric guitar work that fuels early blues records to the late 60s Hendrix-Clapton-Beck-Page-Townsend mob, with no stops in between, a quick spin of any of the sides Link recorded during his golden decade punches holes in the theory right quick. If a direct line from a black blues musician crankin’ up his amp and playing with a ton of violence and aggression can be traced to a young, white guy doing a mutated form of same, the line points straight to Link Wray, no contest. Pete Townsend probably summed it up for more guitarists than he realized when he said, “He is the king, had it not been for Link Wray and ‘Rumble,’ I would have never picked up a guitar.” – Cub Koda

“Link Wray was the most volatile and sophisticated guitarist to emerge from the late 50s. He was a powerful, inventive player, doing things with dynamics and rhythm that would later inspire Pete Townsend and Eric Clapton.” – Greg Shaw, Rolling Stone Magazine

“Link Wray invented the vocabulary of modern electric guitarists.” – answers.com; excerpted from Davie Allan’s page.

“The Rumble Man.” – Keith Moon, drummer The Who

“Father of the Power Chord.” – James Sullivan, Rolling Stone.com

“Link is a quiet man to meet- easy and courteous. His music, though, betrays that deep inside he gets very very mean very often. I remember being made very uneasy the first time I heard “Rumble” , and yet very excited by the guitar sound. And his voice! He sounds like a cross between Jagger and Van Morrison, even sometimes like Robbie Robertson. We met him in New York in 1970 while recording “Who’s Next”…. this later inspired the b-side “Wasp Man”, a tune we dedicated to Link Wray.” – Pete Townshend

---------------------

Anyone else a fan?

He was also a huge influence on guitarist Rick Miller of Southern Culture on the Skids. Thankfully they got to play together before Link died. A few years back, as part of the NC Music Exhibit at one of the local museums, Rick lent his guitar for display that was signed by NC native Mr. Wray. In addition to Link's signature, the guitar was also covered with chicken grease from many a Southern Culture On the Skids show where fried chicken, banana puddin' and watermelon are passed out to the audience (and oftentimes tossed back onstage).

Link only as one lung.... I guess that leads to the scratchy, rough voice. And it perfectly suits his style of music, so it works all the better!

just another name who needs to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame............

but that's another thread all by itself

Link only as one lung.... I guess that leads to the scratchy, rough voice. And it perfectly suits his style of music, so it works all the better!

just another name who needs to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame............

but that's another thread all by itself

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

• 3 years later...

^^ Great album

Not only is Pacino my favorite, so when I heard this, had to smile. The soundtrack from this movie will be a good one IMHO

Was actually hoping to hear more than three cords from "Rumble", but a good plug for a movie anyway.

Archived