NWOBHM

Tristan

(besides Zeppelin and Purple)

any fans of heavy metal in late 70s/early 80s?

Saxon, Motörhead, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Venom, Judas Priest

anyone seen them live?

Saw maiden and priest great bands live!

Saxon was the first live band I saw, back in '83, closely followed by Maiden and Leppard (before Rick's accident).

I pretty much turned my back on that whole genre but occasionaly listen to Maiden and the odd tune of a few other bands

Saxon was the first live band I saw, back in '83, closely followed by Maiden and Leppard (before Rick's accident).

Power and Glory tour?

yes, great bands live

can't wait to see motörhead this summer

(besides Zeppelin and Purple)

any fans of heavy metal in late 70s/early 80s?

Saxon, Motörhead, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Venom, Judas Priest

anyone seen them live?

In 1980 it was such an exciting time as a teen when NWOBHM was around, that year I got Maidens first album (still the best to old codgers like me) Strong Arm of the law by saxon ( great metal album) and ACDC |Back in Black ( all released that year) and lthough Dc were not part of NWBHM they were all kinda lumped together), oh and how can I forget motorhead AoSpades album too, combined with me getting into Rush Zeppelin, and deep Purple from the generation before..it was great.

I saw maiden 3 times, ACDC twice and Motorhead..good days indeed.

In that time the choice was either disco or metal, well needless to say that I didn't become disco smooth....the eighties for sure had some of the most horrible antitainers of all time.

Saw a lot of bands then,

a few of them were

Anthrax (wow, really blew me away)

Metallica, twice, once with Cliff Burton, still have the concert on lp

Celtic Frost (UGHH)

Venom

Kiss, King Diamond, Helloween, Warlock, Agent Steel, Metal Church, Crimson Glory.

Here's a clip of Metallica at Loreley 85 with Cliff......so glad somebody taped it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG_MWHIkS9w

In that time the choice was either disco or metal, well needless to say that I didn't become disco smooth....the eighties for sure had some of the most horrible antitainers of all time.

In the early 80s there was also new wave and punk. I was starting to grow out of my metal/hard rock phase and was getting more into artists like the dB's, R.E.M., Let's Active, the Replacements, the Cure, U2, the Alarm, 10,000 Maniacs, etc. What I wasn't into then was a great deal of what was on MTV including the synth heavy/drum machine type artists and the beginnings of hair metal.

I caught Saxon and Def Leppard.

The guitarists in Saxon had guitar straps that would spin the guitars around. I thought it was nice until the end of the show when one of the guitarist humped his prone guitar on stage.

Tasteless.

I saw a then unknown Def Leppard open for Blackfoot about 1981 to a half empty arena.

Def Leppard was playing and behind the drummer some one held up a sign that read Dik Likker.

I always thought it was Blackfoot roadies that did it and the guys from Def Leppard thought the crowd loved them when in fact they we cheering on this rather rude act.

http://www.myspace.com/stampedeofficial

Here's one of the countless bands of that era that I initially thought were gonna produce the goods. I remember the live trax from Reading on The Friday Rock Show and bought the singles. In the studio, I thought they were awfull :D

I just noticed another band in their friends list I need to check out

http://www.myspace.com/waystedreality

I enjoy some Doom metal that got started in the late 70s, such as Saint Vitus and Cirith Ungol.

Have yet to really get into any NWOBHM, however. Recommendations for albums are welcome.

Saw a lot of bands then,

a few of them were

Anthrax (wow, really blew me away)

Metallica, twice, once with Cliff Burton, still have the concert on lp

Celtic Frost (UGHH)

Venom

Kiss, King Diamond, Helloween, Warlock, Agent Steel, Metal Church, Crimson Glory.

Celtic Frost rock, however, Venom were all attitude and little real talent.

• 10 months later...

I loved Iron Maiden's "The Number of the Beast," Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance," and Def Leppard's "High and Dry." I thought those were high water marks before the genre entered the hair phase, which I completely ignored, until GnR broke with "Appetite." Then they too were sucked into the revolting glossiness of the hair band.

NWOBHM was great. Saw tons of great bands from 1980-83. By far the best was Diamond Head. Saw them a few times in small clubs before they progressed to the bigger venues. They're the only band I've ever been into who I thought had the potential to rival LZ, but they blew it.

Archived