Who made a bigger impact on music...

ledzep45

...John Lennon (solo or with the beatles) or Michael Jackson (solo or with the Jackson 5)

I was having this conversation with my friend today. I was trying to persuade him but he just stuck with MJ (how is earth song a better peace song than Imagine :huh: )

So anyway, i dont want any arguments, only debates with points to show (eg, songs, experiences etc)

So, vote away!

Slot me up as Michael did more for music, but Lennon did more for his humanitarian works in their solo careers. But nothings compares, even solo Michael Jackson to the influence of the Beatles as a whole band. ALL popular music past the middle 60's owes its existence or evolution to the Beatles in some way.

Michael Jackson's death was tragic, but 1/100th of John Lennon being murdered by a nutcase in New York City.

-------------------

Edited to clarify:

Edited by zosodude13

...John Lennon (solo or with the beatles) or Michael Jackson (solo or with the Jackson 5)

I was having this conversation with my friend today. I was trying to persuade him but he just stuck with MJ (how is earth song a better peace song than Imagine :huh: )

So anyway, i dont want any arguments, only debates with points to show (eg, songs, experiences etc)

So, vote away!

They both contributed a lot to music and their time period. It wasn't a contest.

The Beatles basically created album oriented music. Sgt. Peppers and Abbey Road basically laid down the foundation for Dark Side of the Moon. And Zeppelin was completely album oriented, they got those ideas from what the Beatles were doing. Before the Beatles you really can't name a lot of great albums.

I'm not big on music as a competition but I'd say the man who wrote Imagine and Instant Karma has the edge over MJ. The Beatles solo or together are always the most famous and influential people in the room, even when the President of the US and Pope are in that room.

I think one of John Lennon's notable accomplishments was showing that a rock star could also be a strong voice on politics, philanthropy, and other matters that don't have to do with the entertainment industry. I could be wrong, but I can't think of a musician before him that really did this. For better or worse, it's almost expected now that being a rock idol means that you get interviewed for opinions on other things, or are the "voice of a generation".

Make of that what you will.

I think one of John Lennon's notable accomplishments was showing that a rock star could also be a strong voice on politics, philanthropy, and other matters that don't have to do with the entertainment industry.

Funny how Bono has taken on many of the same interests but unlike Lennon, he's chastised for it. I say if you can have an audience with Senators, Presidents, etc., go for it. Would Lennon be crucified for his beliefs if had lived?

Lennon. Beatles set the standard for everyone. MJ mostly influenced the newer generation of "artists" like Justin Timberlake and Britney. Beatles were about the music while MJ was more about the presentation of the music. Both were great imo though.

Beatles were about the music while MJ was more about the presentation of the music. Both were great imo though.

The Beatles certainly were no strangers to presentation, though. Otherwise they wouldn't have made films like "Help" or change their looks so radically over the course of 6 years. I don't see anything wrong with an artist viewing oneself as more of an entertainer than a composer.

Slot me up as Michael did more for music, but Lennon did more for his humanitarian works in their solo careers.

I couldn't agree less with that. Michael Jackson contributed way more to humanitarian causes than John Lennon. John Lennon was more of a political activist than a humanitarian. Lennon was important in raising consciousness for tolerance, peace, etc. - he did a couple concerts voicing his disagreement with the Vietnam War, helped organize and obtain the release of John Sinclair from Prison, and his "Give Peace A Chance" became an anthem in the anti-Vietnam war movement. But if you're talking about humanitarianism rather than political activism, compared to all Michael Jackson did for kids and the less fortunate around the world, John Lennon pretty much just strummed his guitar on a bed in Montreal.

In terms of the music though - which is what the question in the thread was originally about, I think John Lennon had a bigger impact on rock music while Michael Jackson had a bigger impact on pop music. Both have influenced many other great musicians and had a huge influence on music as a whole.

Edited by creditmoonforthename

The Beatles certainly were no strangers to presentation, though. Otherwise they wouldn't have made films like "Help" or change their looks so radically over the course of 6 years. I don't see anything wrong with an artist viewing oneself as more of an entertainer than a composer.

Never said it was wrong but I meant overall presentation. MJ tried to make everything he did so big and spectacular. His concerts aren't just about hearing good music. It's also about dancing, special effects, etc. Almost like seeing a broadway show or something. Lennon was a little more laid back.