Led Zeppelin

lzzoso

Okay. As WE all know all the members of the "MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN" were and will always be the most talented musicians of all-time. In my opinion that is a given. However, I am sure that each of us has a slighty different opinion of who out of these four were or are the most talented at their respective instraments. What are your thoughts?

Hello! First of all let me say that I misspelled the Topic title. I consider myself somewhat of a perfectionist so that kinda annoys me. Anyway, regarding the topic I mentioned, I actually think that John Paul Jones may be the most talented of all the members of Led Zeppelin. He just seems so versatile with every instrument he plays.

I guess it depends on how much you weigh a player's ability on his instrument. I'll give Jonesy the nod for versatility, but then you have to weigh that against Page's craftsmanship as a songwriter (or composer). As regards Zeppelin, I'd say it took all four more equally than any other group I can think of.

As a mutable instrument playing musician my self, I also find it hard to pick one that out played the other.

Being as the drum's is my main instrument I have to say Bonzo as the most influential for me but I do like to jam on some Page and Jone's stuff and I sing sort of like Robert when I do the Blues/Rock thing.

I think that Bonzo has had (and still does) a bigger grip on the drumming scene than Page has on the guitar world but that does not mean that Page has not had a smaller infuence on the up and coming player's.

I think that Page was more of an innovator with his approach to playing/writing Rock music than Bonzo was at just being an advanced drummer with his playing style's.

Jone's was a Jazzy player and gave a solid backbone to the group that would not be there if some one else had been playing bass. Comparing him to guy's like Entwistle is OK but not the same, yeah, they both where statue's on the stage, the total 360 of guy's like Geddy Lee, but still there.

Plant was/is more than just a singer! The media turned him into a Golden God but, that's what the media does. I'm sure there out there but there aren't to many I've heard from those day's that mixed more than one style of singing the Blue's and throwing Rock in there to, so there! Ha Ha!

In my opinion:

1. John Paul Jones-extremely underappreciated, and very much gifted, he is the one who provided any extra instrumentation(i.e., mandolin, ogran, keyboards, etc.) to Led Zeppelin's unique sound.

2. Jimmy Page-my favorite member, also very talented in various instruments, his main talent was in the guitar, shaping the the sound that is Led Zeppelin.

3. Robert Plant-as vocalist, his singing was so definitive, you knew as soon as he came on you were listening to Led Zeppelin.

4. John Bonham-the drummer, he added the signature thunder that is so essential to Led Zeppelin.

:peace:,

Jo

In my opinion:

1. John Paul Jones-extremely underappreciated, and very much gifted, he is the one who provided any extra instrumentation(i.e., mandolin, ogran, keyboards, etc.) to Led Zeppelin's unique sound.

2. Jimmy Page-my favorite member, also very talented in various instruments, his main talent was in the guitar, shaping the the sound that is Led Zeppelin.

3. Robert Plant-as vocalist, his singing was so definitive, you knew as soon as he came on you were listening to Led Zeppelin.

4. John Bonham-the drummer, he added the signature thunder that is so essential to Led Zeppelin.

Jo

You pretty much summed up my exact feelings. Jimmy Page is my all-time favorite musician.

However, I feel that John Paul Jones just might be the most underappreciated and possibly the most underrated musician of all-time. His talents on an assortment of varied instruments is immense. "No Quarter" and "In the Light" are two of the greatest songs of all-time.

Robert Plant's singing and songwriting talents are immense. Plus, his knowledge of the blues and early rock and roll history is extraordinary.

The only thing to say about Bonzo is that he was and is the greatest drummer in history.

You pretty much summed up my exact feelings. Jimmy Page is my all-time favorite musician.

However, I feel that John Paul Jones just might be the most underappreciated and possibly the most underrated musician of all-time. His talents on an assortment of varied instruments is immense. "No Quarter" and "In the Light" are two of the greatest songs of all-time.

Robert Plant's singing and songwriting talents are immense. Plus, his knowledge of the blues and early rock and roll history is extraordinary.

The only thing to say about Bonzo is that he was and is the greatest drummer in history.

:yesnod:

Jo

• 3 weeks later...

WOW!!! There's a tough question. Page's guitar grips me the most but I don't think any of them were "better" than the other. They gelled perfectly to create the GREATEST MUSIC EVER!!!

Even though I might had said, John Paul Jones, because of his extremely multi-talented roles, I would just about have to agree with you on your statement.

Archived