Bonhams bass pedal? s?

Zoso1968

Nothin beats double flicking a Speed King! :D

When I was 15, I had a Ludwig sparkle kit with a Speed King pedal. I could get that little fucker to blip real good. Now I get on my drummer's 20k kit and I can't get nothing from his Iron Cobras and DW 9000s. I'd rather drag out his old Camco! :beer:

yea, he only used one Ludwig Speed King pedal.

legend has it, that he wanted to use a double bass set-up, but the band (Jimmy in particular) ruled against it since he could do much more with one than most could do with two. word also has it, that Page complained to Peter Grant about Bonzo's excessive fills and that Grant told him to tone it down and listen to Jimmy or "he would disappear through different doors."

I had a t-shirt that I got the year he died (1980) with him behind a X2 bass drum kit. This guy I used to jam with back in the day who saw them (he's older than me) a bunch of time's told me one of the time's Bonzo was playing with a double bass kit.

The show he saw was in the last part of there hay day, I don't remember what year I think it was 1976 or some time after that time. The Lemon song is from the 2nd album (1969) and I'm sure at that time Bonzo was only using one bass drum.

Nothin beats double flicking a Speed King! :D

When I was 15, I had a Ludwig sparkle kit with a Speed King pedal. I could get that little fucker to blip real good. Now I get on my drummer's 20k kit and I can't get nothing from his Iron Cobras and DW 9000s. I'd rather drag out his old Camco! :beer:

ahh :D

nothing beats an original Ghost pedal for speed. I still have one with an old wooden beater on it. It destroys drumheads, but sounds kickass.

I hear Axis make some great drum pedals. Unfortunately you'd have to take out a loan from the bank to afford one.

I've always been told that you should try as many as you can until you find the one that's just right for you. I think that's what most pro musicians would tell you about finding the right instrument/equipment.

I had a t-shirt that I got the year he died (1980) with him behind a X2 bass drum kit. This guy I used to jam with back in the day who saw them (he's older than me) a bunch of time's told me one of the time's Bonzo was playing with a double bass kit.

The show he saw was in the last part of there hay day, I don't remember what year I think it was 1976 or some time after that time. The Lemon song is from the 2nd album (1969) and I'm sure at that time Bonzo was only using one bass drum.

2bass.jpg

2bass.jpg

I figured some one would have a picture, that looks like an earlier picture as Bonzo seems skinny and long hair so before 1975 maybe? But it's hard to tell from that angle, look's like early 1970's to me. Don't know for sure if this is a studio shot or from a show ether, if there was more in the frame I could say one way or another.

Thank's for the pic Ev!

I figured some one would have a picture, that looks like an earlier picture as Bonzo seems skinny and long hair so before 1975 maybe? But it's hard to tell from that angle, look's like early 1970's to me. Don't know for sure if this is a studio shot or from a show ether, if there was more in the frame I could say one way or another.

Thank's for the pic Ev!

Oh no, this is from the Fillmore 1969 I believe. One of a VERY few times he got away with getting a second drum onstage. It was something he wanted to experiment with. My gues is Jimmy didn't like having the bass drums pointing at angles leaving him nowhere to step out of range! :lol:

I bought a double-pedal, I shouldn't have. Playing single-pedal is way more interesting in my opinion, I never use my left pedal...

I've never had 2 bass drum's but I had a DW 5000/5005 X2 peddle system when they came out in the mid/late 1980's (that kit is long gone now). I used the left peddle if I wanted to throw in an extra fill or two, but mostly just used the main peddle. It was really handy for the Who song's my band was doing at that time. The kit I have now has just one peddle and it work's fine, but I don't play drum's to much right now, just the acoustic guitar and sing.

Oh no, this is from the Fillmore 1969 I believe. One of a VERY few times he got away with getting a second drum onstage. It was something he wanted to experiment with. My gues is Jimmy didn't like having the bass drums pointing at angles leaving him nowhere to step out of range! :lol:

I remain fascinated by the double-bass Bonzo photos. But now I've heard Fillmore West, Anaheim, and San Bernardino as to when/where they were taken. I would really, really like to know for sure, somehow. A Zep mystery this remains...

Bargain? :D

Let's see now, at first we where doing "The Kid's are Alright" and "Picture's of Lilly". Later on we dropped both those and worked up the intro for "Tommy" as well as "1921", "Go to the Mirror", "I'm Free" and "Smash the Mirror". I think we where fooling around with "Christmas" too but I don't remember playing it at any of our show's (some of our shows I don't remember much about anyways ha ha).

That was all from 1985 onto around 1992, we then started doing more Rush and less Who song's as we went from a 4 piece to a 3 piece band.

Thank's for the pic Ev!

The pic is a live shot from 1969...that's the maple "Thermogloss" kit, (the one from the RAH performance on the DVD) with an extra bass drum.

He moved on to the Green sparkle kit soon after.

Archived