Cinematic Blunders: The Song Remains The Same

SteveAJones

On 12/26/2017 at 6:15 PM, Strider said:

The first and biggest mistake was hiring the clowns they did…Well, you get what you pay for...

Instead it was amateur hour…

A properly filmed and multi-tracked Seattle '75 would blow away MSG '73.

…and you can see that by how much more luminous and beautiful the image is in "The Song Remains the Same" film than in the Earls Court or Knebworth videos.

Likely the best post on this forum.

When I saw the movie at 19 at the midnight showing somewhere in the seedy parts of Dallas, I fell asleep during Rain Song likely due to the fragrance in the theater and the Long Island Ice Teas. 

saw it every weekend I could thereafter until I had to do adulting things.

It struck me then why such a long gap between the performance and the release.

During setups for shows at Reunion Arena it was not uncommon for the soundtrack to be playing.

1 hour ago, Dallas Knebs said:

When I saw the movie at 19 at the midnight showing somewhere in the seedy parts of Dallas, I fell asleep during Rain Song likely due to the fragrance in the theater and the Long Island Ice Teas. 

During setups for shows at Reunion Arena it was not uncommon for the soundtrack to be playing.

A voice from the past is back! 😮

On 7/30/2023 at 12:03 PM, Dallas Knebs said:

Many factors:  these off the top of my head and not in chronological order:

1.  Songs recorded and released on and for Physical Graffiti.

2.  Formation and set-up of Swan Song Records.

3.  Jonesy contemplating leaving the band to become Choirmaster at/for Winchester Cathedral.

4.  Editing and re-shooting almost half the movie at Shepperton Studios in England.  

5.  Filming of the "fantasy sequences".  Multiple takes of Jimmy climbing the mountain near Boleskine House in Scotland.

6.  Jimmy's ever-increasing use of heroin after the 1975 tour.

7.  Robert and his family's car accident in Rhodes soon after the Earls Court triumph...  I am sure there are plenty of more, complete and accurate reasons that could be provided by others on this Forum.  

We all know that the basis of the concert for the Song Remains the Same were/was filmed at the final Led Zeppelin shows in NYC Madison Square Garden in 1973.  The release of said movie was in 1976.  Many positive and negative things can happen in a span of 3 years in the world of Led Zeppelin.  

If I am wrong or inaccurate about anything I mentioned above, please inform me.  Like I said I am remembering by memory (from the dozens and dozens of books I have read) and not using Google for what most younger people would do these days (I think).

15 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Jonesy contemplating leaving the band to become Choirmaster at/for Winchester Cathedral.

I don´t think that Choirmaster story has been mentioned in the books I have read since the early 90ies, haven´t heard  a comment of JPJ on that topic either. But I do remember the reply of Jimmy Page when asked about that story: "Never heard of it, that must be wikifantasy".

2 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

I don´t think that Choirmaster story has been mentioned in the books I have read since the early 90ies, haven´t heard  a comment of JPJ on that topic either. But I do remember the reply of Jimmy Page when asked about that story: "Never heard of it, that must be wikifantasy".

Do you have a source? That’s not Jimmy speaking ..I doubt he knows what Wikipedia is ..he’s doesn’t do the internet 

6 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

I've heard several instances of Grant having to talk Jones into staying after the 73 tour. The validity of any of it is always up for speculation.

On 8/1/2023 at 10:05 PM, Paganini said:

Do you have a source? That’s not Jimmy speaking ..I doubt he knows what Wikipedia is ..he’s doesn’t do the internet 

Never underestimate JP, most likely he doesn´t do the internet, but he seems to be aware that there is lots of half-truth, rumors, myth and plain bollocks about the band on Wiki & CO.

Must have been an interview with Jimmy in a music magazine (Mojo or the like) 5 to 10 years ago. Maybe around the 50th anniversary or it was related to the release of the Page remasters. Sorry, but I can´t remember the original source, but I provide a link to a 2014 interview where Jimmy jokes about the Choirmaster story. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/led-zeppelin-s-jimmy-page-why-i-assembled-a-40thanniversary-edition-of-physical-graffiti-a104781.html

21 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I've heard several instances of Grant having to talk Jones into staying after the 73 tour. The validity of any of it is always up for speculation.

True,  he was tired and exhausted from touring and being separated from his family. That Choirmaster Winchester rumor popped up around 2010, never to be confirmed by JPJ; RP or JP. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/led-zeppelin-s-jimmy-page-why-i-assembled-a-40thanniversary-edition-of-physical-graffiti-a104781.html

14 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Never underestimate JP, most likely he doesn´t do the internet, but he seems to be aware that there is lots of half-truth, rumors, myth and plain bollocks about the band on Wiki & CO.

Must have been an interview with Jimmy in a music magazine (Mojo or the like) 5 to 10 years ago. Maybe around the 50th anniversary or it was related to the release of the Page remasters. Sorry, but I can´t remember the original source, but I provide a link to a 2014 interview where Jimmy jokes about the Choirmaster story. 

Thanks for lighting my way Autumn Moon …🙏