1. 1. Which Religion Are You a Part of?

• Atheist
    • Buddhist
    • Christian
    • Hindu
    • Muslim
    • Not Sure/Sill Deciding
    • Other(Please Explain)

You do not have to be Catholic, according to my Catholic priest. You just have to meet these requirements: You must have received the Sacrament of Baptism (to be free of Original Sin), you must receive the Sacrament of Confirmation (where you personally accept Jesus), and then you must have received the Sacraments of Pennance and Reconcilliation (where you are forgiven of mortal and venial sins).

This seems like a contradictory statement to me. You don't have to be catholic but you have to have observed catholic rituals? I belonged to several non-catholic churches and those rituals were never mentioned. Except baptism and that was for adults not baby's.

This seems like a contradictory statement to me. You don't have to be catholic but you have to have observed catholic rituals? I belonged to several non-catholic churches and those rituals were never mentioned. Except baptism and that was for adults not baby's.

I disagree, there Uncle Bill,

My Protestant church required that for you to be "Saved" you had to first be baptized, say that you accepted Jesus as your Saviour, and then repent your sins. Just the means by which you did this were different.

I disagree, there Uncle Bill,

My Protestant church required that for you to be "Saved" you had to first be baptized, say that you accepted Jesus as your Saviour, and then repent your sins. Just the means by which you did this were different.

I don't know what you're disagreeing with, I'm just stating what was taught. The churches I went to you had to be "saved" first then were baptized, so no babies. And none of that "You must have received the Sacrament of Baptism (to be free of Original Sin), you must receive the Sacrament of Confirmation (where you personally accept Jesus)that's what they called being saved, and then you must have received the Sacraments of Pennance and Reconcilliation (where you are forgiven of mortal and venial sins)." They claimed "believe Christ died for your sins"(salvation) and you were in, none of that other claptrap. That was for catholics and other unbelievers who were going to hell anyway.(according to them)

Thank you for your input BUCK'EYE'DOC. You are lucky to have a priest that is a little more open minded than any christian I have talked about my views with. I was actually saved and baptized when I was 6 years old. And I did used to have faith in my religion, but as I got into my teens, and started asking questions that just couldn't be answered, I lost my faith. Plus I just cant see how any mortal man could possibly know what god is.

I don't know what you're disagreeing with, I'm just stating what was taught. The churches I went to you had to be "saved" first then were baptized, so no babies. And none of that "You must have received the Sacrament of Baptism (to be free of Original Sin), you must receive the Sacrament of Confirmation (where you personally accept Jesus)that's what they called being saved, and then you must have received the Sacraments of Pennance and Reconcilliation (where you are forgiven of mortal and venial sins)." They claimed "believe Christ died for your sins"(salvation) and you were in, none of that other claptrap. That was for catholics and other unbelievers who were going to hell anyway.(according to them)

Hi again, Uncle Bill smile.gif

What I was disagreeing with was that what I said was contradictary. It was not.

The process for salvation is the same with all Christian churches.

Just the semantics are different. You disagree with the word "Sacrament" describing the process. But the process is the same, no matter what you call it. Baptism, repentance and forgiveness, accepting that Jesus is your Saviour and died for your sins. It's all the same. Maybe not as ritualistc, but still the same requirement, called by different names and different emphasis put upon it.

Little details and disagreements like this is what caused the Protestants to split from the Catholic church. And then there were further splits of the Protestant church when one sect didn't agree with some other little detail of another Protestant church, etc..., it keeps continuing all the time, even in present day times. That's why there are so many denominations of churches out there. Its been going on for thousands of years, it will probably never be reconciled. One is not right and another is not wrong, in my opinion. They are just different. They are all Christian and hold the same basic beliefs. I think it is great that since Vatican II in the 1960's the Catholic church has changed to accept all religions, where as before that time, they were very intolerant. Maybe all religions will follow this example one day and be more open and accepting of each other, and stop the prejudice that is out there based on differing views of religion, resulting in more world peace and less wars. This has been the hope and prayers for all of eternity, I believe: tolerance of others who are different.

I actually kind of agree with you. Many of my catechism lessons sent a message that, if you aren't Catholic, you're going to hell. But they also taught that God is loving and forgiving. So which is true? Does God only love you if you're Catholic? Is a good, practicing non-Catholic going to go to hell simply because of his religion? Are you to go to heaven simply because you're Catholic, even if you don't keep the Commmandments? Pardon me, but that doesn't seem all that loving to me. I believe that, if you obey the Ten Commandments, attend church services, and be an overall good person, you will be rewarded in the afterlife. I do believe in my religion, but I sometimes think that some of the teachings get a bit mean. I also believe that this train of thought puts off many people to religion: why would you be a part of a religion that dictates who is saved and not saved?

It means that God is good to his own but speaking condemnation to no-believers.

You remember this old saying....

"Kill them all...God will recognize his own!!!"

My priest teaches us that anyone, from any religion, can go to heaven. God is very generous and forgiving, and he does not discriminate among the different sects of Christianity. You do not have to be Catholic, according to my Catholic priest. You just have to meet these requirements: You must have received the Sacrament of Baptism (to be free of Original Sin), you must receive the Sacrament of Confirmation (where you personally accept Jesus), and then you must have received the Sacraments of Pennance and Reconcilliation (where you are forgiven of mortal and venial sins).

Well according to this catholic website there are a lot more "you musts" than you list here:

To be saved, you must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31). However, that's not all. Sacred Scripture clearly shows other things you must also do to be saved:

* You must endure to the end. Matthew 10:22, Matthew 24:13, Mark 13:13.

* You must accept the Cross (suffering). Matthew 10:38, Matthew 16:24-25, Mark 8:34, Luke 9:23, Luke 14:27.

* You must be baptized with water. Mark 16:16, Titus 3:5, I Peter 3:20-21.

* You must be a member in God's true church. Acts 2:47.

* You must confess your sins. James 5:16, I John 1:9.

* You must keep the Commandments of God. Matthew 5:19-20, Matthew 7:21.

* You must heed the words of St. Peter, the first Pope. Acts 11:13-14, Acts 15:7.

* You must eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus Christ. John 6:51-58, I Corinthians 10:16, I Corinthians 11:23-29.

* Our justification comes from the grace of God. Grace is favor, the free and undeserved help that God gives us to respond to His call to become children of God, adoptive sons, partakers of the divine nature and of eternal life. CCC 1996, John 1:12-18, John 17:3, Romans 8:14-17, 2 Peter 1:3-4.

The only Church that meets all the requirements of Salvation is the Holy Catholic Church.

www.infocahtolic.com

"other" And it's quite hard for me to explain what I actually mean by this "other." I'm open to various spiritual or philosophical approaches, trying to come to my own conclusions.

My life has become much easier since I realised that spirituality and science do not necessarily regate each other.

B) Glad to hear it BB

Well according to this catholic website there are a lot more "you musts" than you list here:

I'm Catholic but I truly do not believe all that. See, I don't think God just lets people into Heaven based on a luck of the draw. No one in Somalia was asked to be born there, nor the people of Indonesia. It just happened. Some people go through life without ever knowing what Christianity is. I sincerely doubt the maker would just shoo them into eternal damnation because of that.

^The Redeemer appears as a friendly stranger who seems at once totally familiar and as if you have known Him all your life, regardless of your religious origins.

Yes, but what I'm saying is that one a man growing up in the slums of India who's led a good life but never converted to Christianity due to his strict Hindu upbringing, is probably not going to get cast into Hell just for not being Catholic. I sincerely doubt that would be the case.

I'm Catholic but I truly do not believe all that. See, I don't think God just lets people into Heaven based on a luck of the draw. No one in Somalia was asked to be born there, nor the people of Indonesia. It just happened. Some people go through life without ever knowing what Christianity is. I sincerely doubt the maker would just shoo them into eternal damnation because of that.

I can't remember where it says it, I think it's in Revelation somewhere, but it talks about how there were 2 books opened, the book of life and some other book, where people were judged according to their deeds. I think that that book is for people that never hear about Jesus.

Uncle Bill, where does it say that God's true church is with catholics?

Yes, but what I'm saying is that one a man growing up in the slums of India who's led a good life but never converted to Christianity due to his strict Hindu upbringing, is probably not going to get cast into Hell just for not being Catholic. I sincerely doubt that would be the case.

You're right. The One who judges us sees into our heart and soul.

Hinduism is interesting in that there is a coincidental spelling between Christ and Krishna. Both have a hard C or K consonant sound in the beginning of the word. Both have "ris" in the middle. And Krishna is known for being very much in a state of grace, very similar to Christ, who Christians know as their Lord and Saviour. Odd similarities there.

But all good comes from God.

According to the link I provided:

When did the Church established by Jesus Christ get the name Catholic?

Christ left the adoption of a name for His Church to those whom he commissioned to teach all nations. Christ called the spiritual society He established, "My Church" (Mt. xvi, 18), "the Church" (Mt. xviii, 17). In order to have a distinction between the Church and the Synagogue and to have a distinguishing name from those embracing Judaic and Gnostic errors we find St. Ignatius (50-107 A.D.) using the Greek word "Katholicos" (universal) to describe the universality of the Church established by Christ. St. Ignatius was appointed Bishop of Antioch by St. Peter, the Bishop of Rome. It is in his writtings that we find the word Catholic used for the first time. St. Augustine, when speaking about the Church of Christ, calls it the Catholic Church 240 times in his writings.

You're right. The One who judges us sees into our heart and soul.

Hinduism is interesting in that there is a coincidental spelling between Christ and Krishna. Both have a hard C or K consonant sound in the beginning of the word. Both have "ris" in the middle. And Krishna is known for being very much in a state of grace, very similar to Christ, who Christians know as their Lord and Saviour. Odd similarities there.

But all good comes from God.

There may actually be more than a coincidental connection. It depends on whose etymology you go with. That is not to say that there is a similar genetic relationship between the two Avatars.

Ephesus.jpg

Considering the Catholic Church is still largely unchanged in core beliefs, and keeps true to traditions (Bishops can tell you their direct line of succession), it can generally be regarded as the true Church of the Christian church. It never changed core beliefs just because some random priest decided it should.

Archived