1. 1. Which Religion Are You a Part of?

• Atheist
    • Buddhist
    • Christian
    • Hindu
    • Muslim
    • Not Sure/Sill Deciding
    • Other(Please Explain)

You're only 14 Page-ist? i would never have guessed it mate, you are years ahead of you're time, keep up the good work and as my old friend ZeppFanForever would say, "Rock On Forever".

Kind Regards, Danny

Well thank you, Danny.

While my peers are out at the dance or texting or just being all around douches, I am at home listening to Zepp and/or playing guitar and/or pondering the meaning of life. :)

But why doesn't he just eliminate sin so that we won't even have the chance to suffer it.

Because Satan, from whom much of sin comes, is still around. He hasn't been destroyed because, after the fall of Adam and Eve, all humans thereafter have to deal with sin. If he eliminated sin, the story of Adam and Eve would be irrelevant.

BTW, I'm Catholic, if anyone cares.

Well Mr BLD,

I call my post an Epic, you call it a Fiasco, i do like you sense of humour BLD, and my advice for your salvation, "GET A FCUKING JOB" :lol: no only joking, i know how hard it is to do that in today's commercial climate. thanks for the rest of you comments and support mate, it makes my effort worth while. ;)

Regards, Danny

I did some research and found a term to describe what I believe, spiritually. It's called AGNOSTIC THEISM.

Agnostic Theism is the view of those who do not claim to know of the existence of any deity, but still believe in such an existence.

To quote Wikipedia:

Christian Philosopher Blaise Pascal argued that, even if there were truly no evidence for God, agnostics should consider what is now known as Pascal’s Wager: the infinite expected value of acknowledging God is always greater than the finite expected value of not acknowledging his existence, and thus it is a safer “bet” to choose God.

If I'm right, this means that you should believe in God even though you have no proof of his existence, because it's better to belive in God and be wrong rather than to not belive in him and be wrong.

If I'm right, this means that you should believe in God even though you have no proof of his existence, because it's better to belive in God and be wrong rather than to not belive in him and be wrong.

If you're right or if you're wrong, if you believe or if you don't believe, what's the worst that could happen?

You're assuming there is some advantage to just believing in the existence of "God". No religion says that, they all have their own rules, rituals, beliefs etc that go along with "believing in God" in order to make it to heaven (or whatever the reward is). After all, Satan believes in the existence of God, right?

You're assuming there is some advantage to just believing in the existence of "God". No religion says that, they all have their own rules, rituals, beliefs etc that go along with "believing in God" in order to make it to heaven (or whatever the reward is). After all, Satan believes in the existence of God, right?

Good point. I guess every religion/belief has its pros and cons.

Someone who doesn't believe in something would seem to me to have a stronger ethic foundation than someone who believes in something just to play it safe. That being said, wouldn't a God have more respect for someone who denounces his or her existence than someone who believes just to play it safe? Of course that is assuming that this God has an strong ethic foundation.

Someone who doesn't believe in something would seem to me to have a stronger ethic foundation than someone who believes in something just to play it safe. That being said, wouldn't a God have more respect for someone who denounces his or her existence than someone who believes just to play it safe? Of course that is assuming that this God has an strong ethic foundation.

Good point. You have changed my point of view.

You should either completely believe, or completely not.

I have no religion. But that doesn't mean I don't believe in anything. I think of God as a concept that our simple human minds could never fathom. With all the different religions out there, there's no way just one has it on the nose. Even though I was raised christian, I find it hard to embrace a religion that claims one of a different religion will go to hell. I mean, do they think a Buddhist monk is going to hell even though they devote their entire life to a non-materialistic, and peaceful lifestyle even though goody janet is buying shoes and makeup out the ass for "Sunday school".

I have no religion. But that doesn't mean I don't believe in anything. I think of God as a concept that our simple human minds could never fathom. With all the different religions out there, there's no way just one has it on the nose. Even though I was raised christian, I find it hard to embrace a religion that claims one of a different religion will go to hell. I mean, do they think a Buddhist monk is going to hell even though they devote their entire life to a non-materialistic, and peaceful lifestyle even though goody janet is buying shoes and makeup out the ass for "Sunday school".

Well, that's not necessarily the deal with branches of Christianity.

I was always taught that, even if you lived as a terrible sinner who never believed in Jesus, that if you accepted him and were truly sorry for your sins at the gates of heaven, that you would be let in. After purgatory of course, but that's for anyone who ever did a single sin.

Good point. You have changed my point of view.

You should either completely believe, or completely not.

Hi Page-ist,

Better to Believe and Practice in "Good" and "Goodliness" rather than in "God" and "Godliness".

Regards, Danny

Hi Page-ist,

Better to Believe and Practice in "Good" and "Goodliness" rather than in "God" and "Godliness".

Regards, Danny

Excellent point Danny, that is exactly how I feel.

But when faced with things such as sex, and drugs, who is to decide what is wrong or right?

Is it the self perhaps?

Excellent point Danny, that is exactly how I feel.

But when faced with things such as sex, and drugs, who is to decide what is wrong or right?

Is it the self perhaps?

SPOT ON Page-ist, but if you chose wrongly expect a visit from the SDRR Police wont you? :lol:

Regards, Danny

ame='BonzoLikeDrumer' date='13 January 2010 - 02:53 AM' timestamp='1263351230' post='437179']

Well Mr BLD,

I call my post an Epic, you call it a Fiasco, i do like you sense of humour BLD, and my advice for your salvation, "GET A FCUKING JOB" :lol: no only joking, i know how hard it is to do that in today's commercial climate. thanks for the rest of you comments and support mate, it makes my effort worth while. ;)

Regards, Danny

Yes, I look forward to your great post's Dan and thanks for being my safe place friend dude. B)

In these time's I (everyone) needs all the friends they can get, so go my friend's, go to the My Space page in this http://www.myspace.com/musicreward link and hear what I have to sing and play! Do it often as I will be adding more in the next week or two!! :D

You and I both will thank yourself for doing it!!

Thanks guy's for being my friend's!

Hi all,BLD,

Yes, I look forward to your great post's Dan and thanks for being my safe place friend dude. B)

In these time's I (everyone) needs all the friends they can get, so go my friend's, go to the My Space page in this http://www.myspace.com/musicreward link and hear what I have to sing and play! Do it often as I will be adding more in the next week or two!! :D

You and I both will thank yourself for doing it!!

Thanks guy's for being my friend's!

If I may be so bold,maybe we are lucky ones,.... ;)

KB

I actually kind of agree with you. Many of my catechism lessons sent a message that, if you aren't Catholic, you're going to hell. But they also taught that God is loving and forgiving. So which is true? Does God only love you if you're Catholic? Is a good, practicing non-Catholic going to go to hell simply because of his religion? Are you to go to heaven simply because you're Catholic, even if you don't keep the Commmandments? Pardon me, but that doesn't seem all that loving to me. I believe that, if you obey the Ten Commandments, attend church services, and be an overall good person, you will be rewarded in the afterlife. I do believe in my religion, but I sometimes think that some of the teachings get a bit mean. I also believe that this train of thought puts off many people to religion: why would you be a part of a religion that dictates who is saved and not saved?

Iactually kind of agree with you. Many of my catechism lessons sent amessage that, if you aren't Catholic, you're going to hell. But theyalso taught that God is loving and forgiving. So which is true? DoesGod only love you if you're Catholic? Is a good, practicingnon-Catholic going to go to hell simply because of his religion? Areyou to go to heaven simply because you're Catholic, even if you don'tkeep the Commmandments? Pardon me, but that doesn't seem all thatloving to me. I believe that, if you obey the Ten Commandments, attendchurch services, and be an overall good person, you will be rewarded inthe afterlife. I do believe in my religion, but I sometimes think that some of the teachings get a bit mean.I also believe that this train of thought puts off many people toreligion: why would you be a part of a religion that dictates who issaved and not saved?

Now you understand why I broke away from the Church when I turned 18.

I'm sorry, but telling me that using birth control will cause me toburn in hell and that french kissing is on the same level asmurder.....which will also cause me to burn in hell, makes no goddamnsense to me on any intellectual level.

Maybe it's not mean......so much as completely fucking stupid.

I actually kind of agree with you. Many of my catechism lessons sent a message that, if you aren't Catholic, you're going to hell. But they also taught that God is loving and forgiving. So which is true? Does God only love you if you're Catholic? Is a good, practicing non-Catholic going to go to hell simply because of his religion? Are you to go to heaven simply because you're Catholic, even if you don't keep the Commmandments? Pardon me, but that doesn't seem all that loving to me. I believe that, if you obey the Ten Commandments, attend church services, and be an overall good person, you will be rewarded in the afterlife. I do believe in my religion, but I sometimes think that some of the teachings get a bit mean. I also believe that this train of thought puts off many people to religion: why would you be a part of a religion that dictates who is saved and not saved?

I think they believe if you have a different religion, then you are worshiping a false idol. Two of the commandments are "You shall have no other god before me", and "You shall not make for yourself an idol" which basically means I am going to hell for having my own interpretation of god.

I think they believe if you have a different religion, then you are worshiping a false idol. Two of the commandments are "You shall have no other god before me", and "You shall not make for yourself an idol" which basically means I am going to hell for having my own interpretation of god.

Hi pagemccartney95 and Broken Levee smile.gif

I have tried to avoid this thread, but I feel like I can help clarify things for you, and maybe help you in the long run, so here goes:

My family attended a fundamentalist type Protestant church when I was growing up. When I married my husband, I "converted" to his Roman Catholicism, and I am an active member of that church now. So I have a unique perspective on the Christian religion, knowing both sides of the issues.

My priest teaches us that anyone, from any religion, can go to heaven. God is very generous and forgiving, and he does not discriminate among the different sects of Christianity. You do not have to be Catholic, according to my Catholic priest. You just have to meet these requirements: You must have received the Sacrament of Baptism (to be free of Original Sin), you must receive the Sacrament of Confirmation (where you personally accept Jesus), and then you must have received the Sacraments of Pennance and Reconcilliation (where you are forgiven of mortal and venial sins). If a person is ignorant of Jesus being Lord and Saviour, such as living in an undeveloped country where you were never aware of Jesus or Christianity, or if you are of another religion, such as Hinduism, you may still go to heaven, but you will first have to spend time in Purgatory before being accepted into heaven, provided that you have led a pious life. So people from other religions can still go to heaven, according to my priest. But if you are aware of Jesus, and reject him and his church, then that does indeed prohibit you from going to heaven. But it is never too late. You can accept Jesus and repent on your death bed, and you will be forgiven and still go to heaven, no matter what life you have led. This is part of the Sacrament of "Last Rites", I believe.

My particular priest and our parish is very accepting of other branches of Christianity. Indeed, my parish church works with other Protestant churches on alot of projects with common goals to benefit the community.

Alot of old school Catholics do believe that Catholicism is the only acceptable Christian church, since it is directly descended from Peter, and Jesus gave Peter the authority to start the Christian church ("Upon this rock...") thus it is the church that Jesus intended. But all other Christian churches have broken off from the Roman Catholic church due to politics (Henry VIII and the Church of England), or due to disagreements with various details of the administration of the church (Martin Luther and indulgences, for example). So, according to my priest, we are all brothers and sisters in Christ, and as long as we have been baptized, confirmed, and repented and reconcilled, then we all will go to heaven, even if one is not Catholic.

And Broken Levee, not being Catholic is not the same as worshiping idols. That notion came about due to the ancient Romans, Greeks, Egyptians and other pagans worshiping their gods, such as Zeus, Athena, Diana, Nike, Isis, etc..., where they had statues erected to worship these gods. It does not apply to the (false) notion that if you are not Catholic then your religion is invalid, as you are referring to. The Ten Commandements were given to the Jewish people from God (same god as Christian and Muslim god, by the way) as rules to live by. The idol clause applied to the pagans and their gods. I guess current religions do have idols, too, so I guess you have a valid point there, according to the Ten Commandments. But this is not solely a Christian tennent.

I don't mean to be preachy. Just trying to clarify some misconceptions that are arising in this thread. And I am not implying that one religion is right and another is wrong. I am just clarifying the Catholic point of view, which is what I subscribe to.

I hope that this helps.

And I can understand the concept that you are your own church, and as long as you live a good life then you don't need to attend any physical church. I used to think this way, too. But I now realize that Jesus is present in the Eucharist, in "the body and blood" at communion, and you need to receive this Sacrament on a regular basis to enable yourself to live a good life and to remain true to what you were baptized for, to follow Jesus' teachings so you will be sure to go to heaven. You need the instructions that are presented at mass to know how to do this. Just my opinion on the subject. smile.gif

Edited to add this link for clarification of what I am saying:

http://www.religious...rg/rcc_salv.htm

(Clear as mud, right?)

and:

http://en.wikipedia....Catholic_Church

Archived