Several Questions . . .

Krish

1. What is Custard Pie about?

2. What is The Crunge about?

3. I heard that Jimmy recorded 14 guitars at once in Achilles Last Stand - what part of the song has 14 guitars playing simultaneously?

4. Why is ALS called Achilles Last Stand? There's a reference to Atlas in the song - did Robert mean for the song to be titled Atlas' Last Stand and there was a screw-up when the sleeve of Presence went to press?

5. Were there separate tours for No Quarter: Unledded and Walkling Into Clarksdale?

6. Why did Robert shelve the touring plans in 1999?

Thanks everyone.

3. I heard that Jimmy recorded 14 guitars at once in Achilles Last Stand - what part of the song has 14 guitars playing simultaneously?

4. Why is ALS called Achilles Last Stand? There's a reference to Atlas in the song - did Robert mean for the song to be titled Atlas' Last Stand and there was a screw-up when the sleeve of Presence went to press?

5. Were there separate tours for No Quarter: Unledded and Walkling Into Clarksdale?

Thanks everyone.

1. It's about sex I think, like a few of their songs. It's basically what you make it though.

2. The Crunge is sort of a tribute to James Brown, hence the no bridge. James would always say "Go to the bridge!" or "Let's do the bridge!", whereas in the Crunge, Robert says, "Where's that confounded bridge?" :lol:

3. Yea, he called it his "army of guitars".

4. Robert named it "Achilles'" because of the time when he was in his wheelchair recording the song, he stood up in joy forgetting his injury and fell over. That's why it was named Achilles' as in, Achilles' Heel. Also, it's his favourite Led Zeppelin song.

5. Possibly, I wouldn't know.

6. Maybe because he felt as though he would rather move on instead of go back to the past. Who knows?

I think the Unledded tour was in '95, & the WIC was in '98.

Could be wrong though. :unsure:

No Quarter: Unledded was in 1995 and promoted the DVD and CD with the same names. It was derived from a MTV Unplugged show that Robert was obligated to perform. It grew from there.

Walking Into Clarkesdale was in 1998 and promoted the CD of the same name. It featured a much smaller group of musicians and Jimmy carried the weight of the guitar work on his own.

No Quarter: Unledded was in 1995 and promoted the DVD and CD with the same names. It was derived from a MTV Unplugged show that Robert was obligated to perform. It grew from there.

Walking Into Clarkesdale was in 1998 and promoted the CD of the same name. It featured a much smaller group of musicians and Jimmy carried the weight of the guitar work on his own.

No Quarter did come off the back of the MTV special, but back then it was only on VHS (and really badly mixed too). I even think the CD came later than that - I remember having the tape....

No Quarter did come off the back of the MTV special, but back then it was only on VHS (and really badly mixed too). I even think the CD came later than that - I remember having the tape....

Yeah, I think that you are right about the VHS! I even have the live show from that tour still on VHS! I need to remedy that! :D

Sex. It's partially a cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em on Down" (the things being shaken down, of course, are the girl's night shirt and morning gown). :)

About three minutes of improvised James Brown jokes.

This is an exaggeration. Four guitars harmonize with each other throughout the song (not including the bass).

It's a joke on the fact that Robert had just broken his ankle ("Achilles' heel" -- get it?)

I don't think No Quarter involved a tour. The latter album did, although it wound up becoming a Zeppelin set-list -- exactly what Robert hadn't wanted (rightly), which was why he canceled the last leg, confusing Jimmy.

(See above)

Sex. It's partially a cover of Bukka White's "Shake 'Em on Down" (the things being shaken down, of course, are the girl's night shirt and morning gown). :)

About three minutes of improvised James Brown jokes.

This is an exaggeration. Four guitars harmonize with each other throughout the song (not including the bass).

It's a joke on the fact that Robert had just broken his ankle ("Achilles' heel" -- get it?)

I don't think No Quarter involved a tour. The latter album did, although it wound up becoming a Zeppelin set-list -- exactly what Robert hadn't wanted (rightly), which was why he canceled the last leg, confusing Jimmy.

(See above)

Good answers, except the obvious wrong one about the No Quarter Tour in 1995. They even had an Egyptian Orchestra playing with them. I've got the T-shirt, the program and a VHS of the show. :D

That was what I meant; it wasn't a whole tour.

It was a whole tour. I have a VHS of the Show in George, Washington. They played Tacoma the night before. They just called it "World Tour '95", but in the program were pictures from the MTV "Unledded" show and the backdrop for the concerts used the same design as the show. It featured Porl Thompson on guitar.

The '98 tour was called "Walking Into Everywhere" and supported the "Walking Into Clarksdale" CD. I have that T-shirt and program as well.

Hope this helps jog your memory! :D

If that's the case, I didn't know that to begin with (so memory's not the issue). A tour usually indicates a series of dates across a country; I never knew there were more No Quarter shows than those necessary for filming. (Good thing I just put "I don't think...") ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived