Jimmy Page

lzzoso

I just want to say that I started this topic to try and see what You thought about this. Would some of You out there consider Jimmy Page to be THE "Elder Statesmen of Rock and Roll"? I know that there are at least a dozen (or more) other "Rock and Rollers" (both English and American) from the 1960's and 1970's who could and do fit this broad categorization. However, I personally think that Mr. Jimmy Page is the most straight-forward and Honest of the lot. I would also say that Jimmy Page is also the "most influential" "Statesmen of Rock and Roll" living today. I say this because his (and Led Zeppelin's) Music has and will always stand the test of time. I honestly consider Jimmy Page to be a modern day "Bach" or "Beethoven". That is, Music that will played and enjoyed for generations to come...

I just want to say that I started this topic to try and see what You thought about this. Would some of You out there consider Jimmy Page to be THE "Elder Statesmen of Rock and Roll"? I know that there are at least a dozen (or more) other "Rock and Rollers" (both English and American) from the 1960's and 1970's who could and do fit this broad categorization. However, I personally think that Mr. Jimmy Page is the most straight-forward and Honest of the lot. I would also say that Jimmy Page is also the "most influential" "Statesmen of Rock and Roll" living today. I say this because his (and Led Zeppelin's) Music has and will always stand the test of time. I honestly consider Jimmy Page to be a modern day "Bach" or "Beethoven". That is, Music that will played and enjoyed for generations to come...

Like many on this board, Jimmy is my favorite musician, hands down. And I'm happy to see him growing old so gracefully. Heck, after his excesses of the late 70's and early 80's, I'm happy to see him growing old, period!

However, as long as people like Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis are drawing breath, it would be hard to consider Jimmy the "Elder Statesman" of rock! And I think Jimmy would agree with that sentiment. But maybe one day...

Most definitely! He IS the elder statesman of rock.

I have to respectively disagree with the Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis statement. Although I know their music is classified for all intensive purposes as 'rock', I think it's more 'rock-a-billy', that's just my opinion.

When you think of 'rock', the evolution of rock, Led Zeppelin with Jimmy Page at the helm, defined it. They took the genre, molded it, modified it and formed what today is modern rock.

When you think of 'rock', the evolution of rock, Led Zeppelin with Jimmy Page at the helm, defined it. They took the genre, molded it, modified it and formed what today is modern rock.

Well I'm sure when YOU think of rock you think of Jimmy. But when Jimmy thinks of rock I bet he thinks of the people I mentioned and others of their ilk.

"I honestly consider Jimmy Page to be a modern day "Bach" or "Beethoven". That is, Music that will played and enjoyed for generations to come... "

I think many years from now this quote will be true.But at the moment Jimmy is still (hopefully) a productive musician and will be for many years.I do agree that he is up there with the best of those who are still around, and has very few peers.

Led Zeppelin was born from Chicago blues influences like Muddy Waters. The Rolling Stones are more from the Chuck Berry line. No matter how you spin it, there is no question that guys like Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis were among the first to be referred to as rock and roll and as long as they live, the members of the British invasion bands should rightfully be considered the second wave. Granted, they took it in directions that the early guys probably never could have imagined, but I don't think that makes them first or any more of a "statesman" of the musical genre.

I started this topic because I really do think that Jimmy Page is what I consider to be a "True Statesmen" of Rock and Roll. I addded "Elder" because he is getting up there in age and according to some dictionary accounts the word "elder" means: "of higher rank", "senior" and "a superior". Almost perfect words to describe Jimmy.

Now I realized that when I started this topic that maybe some of You out there would probably mention the more "Elder Statesmen" of Rock and Roll, such as the two mentioned: Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis (and lets not forget Little Richard, James Burton and Scotty Moore, among a few other early, early Rock and Rollers). I would never like to forget their enormous and influential contributions to the Music of which I am really referring too (Led Zeppelin).

Now back to Mr. Jimmy Page. I really hate to think this and I really hope that I am very seriously wrong, however, I (reluctantly) consider Jimmy Page to be "semi-retired". Of course this is just my opinion and what I feel. I, like most of You, am the most loyal and die-hard Jimmy Page fan that inhabits this Earth. If some of You out there know a little about me by some of the topics I start, than that should be of no surprise. I am all for lavishing enormous praise for the Man that has definitely changed My life and the World of Rock and Roll. Mr. James Patrick Page.

P.S. Jimmy, if you ever happen to read these Great forums and posts, please prove me wrong and release another Awesome CD or announce some sort of tour of the United States of America to really satisfy US, the masses, Your most Ardent and Loyal Fans. And, if you do, Please make a stop in one of Your favorite American cities: Dallas, Texas.

I started this topic because I really do think that Jimmy Page is what I consider to be a "True Statesmen" of Rock and Roll. I addded "Elder" because he is getting up there in age and according to some dictionary accounts the word "elder" means: "of higher rank", "senior" and "a superior". Almost perfect words to describe Jimmy.

Now I realized that when I started this topic that maybe some of You out there would probably mention the more "Elder Statesmen" of Rock and Roll, such as the two mentioned: Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis (and lets not forget Little Richard, James Burton and Scotty Moore, among a few other early, early Rock and Rollers). I would never like to forget their enormous and influential contributions to the Music of which I am really referring too (Led Zeppelin).

Now back to Mr. Jimmy Page. I really hate to think this and I really hope that I am very seriously wrong, however, I (reluctantly) consider Jimmy Page to be "semi-retired". Of course this is just my opinion and what I feel. I, like most of You, am the most loyal and die-hard Jimmy Page fan that inhabits this Earth. If some of You out there know a little about me by some of the topics I start, than that should be of no surprise. I am all for lavishing enormous praise for the Man that has definitely changed My life and the World of Rock and Roll. Mr. James Patrick Page.

P.S. Jimmy, if you ever happen to read these Great forums and posts, please prove me wrong and release another Awesome CD or announce some sort of tour of the United States of America to really satisfy US, the masses, Your most Ardent and Loyal Fans. And, if you do, Please make a stop in one of Your favorite American cities: Dallas, Texas.

I re-read Jimmy's recent Mojo interview, and he left no doubt that his top priority for 2010 is making new music. The phrase "semi-retired" may apply because in his prime Jimmy seemed to be all about the music, all the time. Now he has the book, he has the movie, he has his occasional Zep projects, and he has the ability to enjoy the fruits of his labors. But at least for 2010, he has clearly stated that making new music is priority #1. Let's hope for the best!

Its between Page and Gilmour for who forfils the good side of the old "country house rock megastar" cliche of the 70's best I'd say, Jagger and McCarty move in higher social circles but they never quiet seemed as comfortable with that kind of image to me.

I think Mr. Page is the Leonardo Da Vinci of Rock and Roll. Stairway to Heaven is his Last Supper and Kashmir is his Mona Lisa. Everything in between still outclasses the work of his contemporaries.

Archived